Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help with numbers
cara041083 06:30 AM 12-29-2014
I need help. I am in Kansas. My sister has hit a rough patch and will be moving in with me. She has 2 kids aged 1 and 2. They will be staying in my finished basement. My question is, will her 2 kids put me over ratio is she is here with them? Right now I am full and didn't know If I would need to cut kids from my daycare. I don't use the basement at all for daycare due to it not having an exit. So they would be downstairs and my daycare is upstairs.
AuntTami 07:41 AM 12-29-2014
I'm not sure how Kansas works, but i know in Wisconsin family members don't count toward my ratios, so even if you were watching them, which it sounds like you won't be, it wouldn't Mater because they're family. Try www.daycare.com/Kansas and see if the answer is there

Edited to add: it looks like your family members count towards your ratio, however, if your sister is going to be present, I don't see how thy could count as long as she's watching hers and you're not responsible for them but I could be totally wrong lol
daycare 07:57 AM 12-29-2014
In Cali they would count towards your capacity and your sister Would have to get full finger prints, first aid CPR, etc.

I would call and talk to your Rep. Only they can really clear anything for you.
craftymissbeth 08:14 AM 12-29-2014
I would call licensing because there's a bit of a gray area and the answer changes from surveyor to surveyor.

I was told by one surveyor that all children under 11 living in my household count towards my numbers even if they are in another area of the house (upstairs in my case) with another parent/adult.

I was then told by a different surveyor that children under the age of 11 living in the household do not count in our numbers if they are not here for the purposes of receiving daycare AND they are with another parent/adult.

I would definitely check with your surveyor especially with one of them being under 18 months... that would def. mess with your ratio.
cara041083 09:56 AM 12-29-2014
I know here any child under 16 counts even your own. My sister is my back up so she has already been checked and and the good stuff. I just don't want to be over ratio but family comes first and if I have to loose two kids then that's what I have to do. I will call my licencing and ask them.
Blackcat31 10:12 AM 12-29-2014
Originally Posted by cara041083:
I know here any child under 16 counts even your own. My sister is my back up so she has already been checked and and the good stuff. I just don't want to be over ratio but family comes first and if I have to loose two kids then that's what I have to do. I will call my licencing and ask them.
When you call licensing, inquire about a temporary variance or to see if your capacity limits allow for extra kids if there are two adults (you and your sister) present.
sahm1225 11:23 AM 12-29-2014
Could your basement be treated as a separate living area (bathroom, kitchen, etcetera)? Maybe you could ask licensing to have her dtreated as your tenant so she doesn't count towards ratios?
Meeko 04:32 PM 12-29-2014
Call your licensing dept to make sure of regs for your area.

I am in Utah. Here, as long as SHE was the one responsible for her children, they would not count in your ratios.
NoMoreJuice! 06:25 PM 12-29-2014
I am in Kansas also and agree that it varies by surveyor. Officially, the rules are that any child in the house counts towards the ratio, adult supervised or not. Definitely call your county...they take capacity tables very seriously.
KSDC 06:25 AM 12-30-2014
I had almost the exact same situation earlier this year. Due to a job change, my brother and his family moved in with me for about a month. During that time, my niece and nephew were considered part of my daycare. Even if they were upstairs, with their mom, in the "non-daycare" part of my home.

Call your surveyor.
Reply Up