Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is This Unfair Of Me?
daycarediva 01:35 PM 10-16-2013
I have a dck with a lazy eye. He got glasses about 3 months ago and there were issues with that, taking them off, trying to break them when angry, etc. We resolved those (mostly).

Now he is supposed to wear an eye patch for 2 hours/day. Dcm brought me a box of eye patches today, telling me this. Um, its for 2 hours, why can't he wear them at home? He is picked up at 4! So I tell her that I will try it. He took 2 off and bent them so that they cannot be reapplied in the first few minutes. I told dcm it was difficult and that it needs to be done at home. She asked if she can bring him with it on (sure, but he doesn't LEAVE IT ON!) She got a little irritated that he used two because they are expensive.

Am I being unfair?
Heidi 01:41 PM 10-16-2013
No..

You are providing group care . You tried it, but 2 hours does NOT have to be at daycare.

She can bring him with it, and you can encourage him to leave it on. Then, tell her how long that was, add the car ride, and she can do the "rest" of the time after daycare.
Maria2013 01:44 PM 10-16-2013
No you are not unfair, you tried it didn't work, what's mom excuse for not doing this at home?
cara041083 01:57 PM 10-16-2013
No I don't think your being unreasonable at all!

This is off the subject, but isn't it amazing how parents will ask you to do what they don't want to deal with at home and then get mad when you say it doesn't work at your house.
Familycare71 01:57 PM 10-16-2013
I agree- not unfair at all. I had an 18 month old that had them (ended up getting corrective surgery) and wore his here but only because he would leave it alone for me and not them. But if he didnt I would have out it back on them-
Blackcat31 02:03 PM 10-16-2013
How old is this little guy?

I had a DCK last year who had to wear an eye patch for 6 hours per day as well as having to wear glasses.

What I did for the child was have ALL the kids decorate some eye patches and wear them for the day (those that wanted to).

It really helped the DCK to know their friends were so supportive!
MsLaura529 02:13 PM 10-16-2013
I don't think you are being unfair.

As a suggestion to the mom: Get some stickers to decorate the eye patch at home and he might like it better. I used to have a wear a patch for a majority of the day when I was little (about 3-4 yrs old). I loved the stickers, and being able to put a new sticker on it each time.
MsLaura529 02:13 PM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I had a DCK last year who had to wear an eye patch for 6 hours per day as well as having to wear glasses.

What I did for the child was have ALL the kids decorate some eye patches and wear them for the day (those that wanted to).

I LOVE this!
MarinaVanessa 02:17 PM 10-16-2013

I really like this idea!! Heck, I would have worn one too !

The eye patch is usually used to repair/correct eye muscle issues (hence the lazy eye... muscle in one eye tugs the eye in another direction). They're used to cover the eye that does not have the problem so that the child must use the eye with the muscle problem which can correct the problem over time.

I think that mom should try at home as well and once DCB gets used to it more then you can try it at daycare too. Right now it may be for only 2 hours but as DCB gets used to it, and depending on how severe the problem is, he may have to wear it for longer than that later.

DCM may also want to find out if the expensive eye patch is necessary. Usually in some circumstances any 'ol thing like gauze will work so she can save the fancy eye patches for when they go out in public. She may want to ask if she can use cheaper materials while at home and daycare but it should be okayed by the Dr first.
mema 02:22 PM 10-16-2013
I don't think it's unfair. It is her child after all. If it were longer than that, I would do what BC suggested and have his friends make their own. I have one that wears one for 2-3 hours a day also and they do it at home only. I'm sure he doesn't like to keep it on at home either and she probably fights with him and doesn't want to deal with it-therefore, make it a daycare problem.
Laurel 02:50 PM 10-16-2013
I had a little girl wear them for a while but she left them on. If she wouldn't have, I would have put it back on the parents.

I had a mom wanting me to do breathing treatments as soon as he got to my house. Another older child freaked out at the sound of the machine so I figured why couldn't the mom just do it at home before she left. I suggested it and she did it but was miffed. Who cares? Geez.

Laurel
Familycare71 02:54 PM 10-16-2013
All my dck were so jealous of the eye patch here!!! .
Cradle2crayons 03:57 PM 10-16-2013
I agree with all of the others. I would have told mom that it needs to be done after hours unless there was a real reason for it to be done during the middle of the day. Even then, I would try it ONE time, and if the child didn't leave it on, I'd put it back on mom.

It's HER child and ultimately HER responsibility. She knew it would be a problem and she didn't want to deal with it.
daycarediva 04:04 PM 10-16-2013

Almost 4.

Tried this, he wouldn't even wear the cool ones we decorated and all wore together. I got a fake eye (foam from toys r us) and we talked about his 'lazy eye muscles' that needed exercise.

Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
I don't think you are being unfair.

As a suggestion to the mom: Get some stickers to decorate the eye patch at home and he might like it better. I used to have a wear a patch for a majority of the day when I was little (about 3-4 yrs old). I loved the stickers, and being able to put a new sticker on it each time.
His are all cool, super heroes that Mom ordered online. Wants NO part of it.
Patches 05:15 PM 10-16-2013
Nope. not unfair at all. That would be like dcb needing a dose of medication once a day (that can be done any time of day) and dcm giving it to you.
My son has to wear a patch for 2-3 hours a day and I don't send him to school wearing it and I didn't send him to daycare wearing it. He wears it at home in the evening
Crazy8 06:25 PM 10-16-2013
not unfair at all, 2 hours a day can EASILY be done on parent's shift. But I am not at all surprised at parents pawning it off on you - I'm finding thats the case with a lot of things lately.

My friend's son wears glasses during the day and the eye patch for a few hours before bed each night.
Childminder 06:39 PM 10-16-2013
Play pirates.
Brooksie 07:26 PM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
No..

You are providing group care . You tried it, but 2 hours does NOT have to be at daycare.

She can bring him with it, and you can encourage him to leave it on. Then, tell her how long that was, add the car ride, and she can do the "rest" of the time after daycare.
Boom.
Michael 08:16 PM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I have a dck with a lazy eye. He got glasses about 3 months ago and there were issues with that, taking them off, trying to break them when angry, etc. We resolved those (mostly).

Now he is supposed to wear an eye patch for 2 hours/day. Dcm brought me a box of eye patches today, telling me this. Um, its for 2 hours, why can't he wear them at home? He is picked up at 4! So I tell her that I will try it. He took 2 off and bent them so that they cannot be reapplied in the first few minutes. I told dcm it was difficult and that it needs to be done at home. She asked if she can bring him with it on (sure, but he doesn't LEAVE IT ON!) She got a little irritated that he used two because they are expensive.

Am I being unfair?
My son had similar issues. We placed glasses over his eye patch and it seemed to keep him from tearing the patches off.
julie 08:38 PM 10-16-2013
I had this problem in Kindergarten and was 4.5 at the time. I had to wear my patch throughout the day, not two hours. You are not being unreasonable at all to not be able to totally focus on this during daycare hours.

One thing that really helped me was to have a stuffed animal that wore the patch same as me. The teacher made it my job to make sure the stuffed animal was all right and comfortable, which distracted me from my own patch. We went as pirates for Halloween. Anyway, there are ways to support the kid at your daycare, but I agree that the hard part should be at home. And no way should the mom be getting mad at you for having to use more than one patch! That's life!
Soccermom 04:48 AM 10-17-2013
A friend of mine has to patch her DD's eye for 4 hours every day and she says it is awful. DD hates it.
I would never expect my DP to take care of this kind of thing for me.
You are not being unreasonable at all!
Guaranteed that DCM tried it at home and found it hard so she is pawning the job off on you. Some parents need a handbook on how to treat their DP!
daycarediva 06:06 AM 10-17-2013
He refused to wear it at home. He was not patched AT ALL yesterday. Today Mom brought him with it on and I said I would do my best to get him to leave it on but no promises. He wore it for about 30 minutes.

Does the 2 hours need to be consecutive for it to help? UGH!
Soccermom 07:05 AM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
He refused to wear it at home. He was not patched AT ALL yesterday. Today Mom brought him with it on and I said I would do my best to get him to leave it on but no promises. He wore it for about 30 minutes.

Does the 2 hours need to be consecutive for it to help? UGH!
I believe it does need to be for the entire 2 hours.
blessed mom 07:35 AM 10-17-2013
You're not being unfair. I like the idea of everyone wearing one but you can only do what you can do. You are not a doctor and you are not the parent. Parents need to be parents and if he isn't keeping it on then mom and dad need to be responsible parents and do it themselves.
Scout 07:56 AM 10-17-2013
No, and I have a permanent lazy eye so that mom needs to be sure he wears it, that should not fall on you. If he doesn't wear it his eye may not straighten itself out and then he will need surgery, which I could never afford. If I had that surgery it would do wonders for my self esteem. I took ds to his first eye appt when he was 18 mos and his pediatric dr wanted to fix my eye! If only I could afford that deductable! It is something I have wanted done my whole life and I did wear the eye patches too. I hope she takes care of this! It is not your fault he bent them. He doesn't want to be any different than the others and she should've thought of that. I do like the pirate party idea though! Very cute.
Tags:lazy eye, vision issues
Reply Up