Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Please Help Me Think Of Pros & Cons
blandino 01:32 PM 11-23-2012
We have a large in-home daycare (12 children), operated by my mother and I. We have the daycare in an addition to our home, and use only those areas for the daycare (it isn't in our personal living space at all). For us personally, keeping things separate is a must - neither of us have young children living in the home - and therefore have no play things, toys, or baby proofing in our home. Obviously, we still use the kitchen to cook for the daycare and parents still ask to use the restroom (which is a big pet peeve of ours, as we like to keep our personal living space as private as possible, and the children's restroom is child-size and not appropriate for adults to use).

We have an opportunity to rent a home, 1.5 miles from where we are currently. We don't have any worries about the distance, for most families it is closer to home. The house is not huge, but has a living room - large kitchen - and two bedrooms, with a large backyard. The rent would be financially doable (the owners are friends of the family, and are renting for a very reasonable rate), and would be fairly small each month.

We have come up with our own pros and cons, but really want to think of everything we can. So please play devils advocate for us, and think of problems or plus sides, that maybe we haven't thought of.
Happy Hearts 01:40 PM 11-23-2012
Devil here: Why pay so much more overhead?
littlemissmuffet 01:44 PM 11-23-2012
Originally Posted by blandino:
We have a large in-home daycare (12 children), operated by my mother and I. We have the daycare in an addition to our home, and use only those areas for the daycare (it isn't in our personal living space at all). For us personally, keeping things separate is a must - neither of us have young children living in the home - and therefore have no play things, toys, or baby proofing in our home. Obviously, we still use the kitchen to cook for the daycare and parents still ask to use the restroom (which is a big pet peeve of ours, as we like to keep our personal living space as private as possible, and the children's restroom is child-size and not appropriate for adults to use).

We have an opportunity to rent a home, 1.5 miles from where we are currently. We don't have any worries about the distance, for most families it is closer to home. The house is not huge, but has a living room - large kitchen - and two bedrooms, with a large backyard. The rent wouldn't be financially doable (the owners are friends of the family, and are renting for a very reasonable rate), and would be fairly small each month.

We have come up with our own pros and cons, but really want to think of everything we can. So please play devils advocate for us, and think of problems or plus sides, that maybe we haven't thought of.
I'm assuming you meant "the rent WOULD be financially doable"?

Honestly, I cannot think of a single reason I wouldn't rent/own a sperate home/daycare space if I could easily afford it!

I hope Blackcat chimes in because she has a seperate house just for daycare purposes!!
EchoMom 03:53 PM 11-23-2012
From what you describe I don't see why you need a seperate house to rent if your daycare space is already seperate from your living/personal space? Sounds like a waste of money to me. But maybe there are more details I'm not understanding.
blandino 03:54 PM 11-23-2012
Originally Posted by Sparrow:
Devil here: Why pay so much more overhead?

It really isn't that much more. The rent will be about 5% of each of our income each month. And then utilities - but our home utilities would go down since we wouldn't be there during the day.

We would be increasing our daycare space, and the main plus for us is keeping everything separate. We would be able to keep our kitchen clean instead of using it constantly, all of their cups, food, high chair trays not being in our kitchen all the time. Not having parents ask to come into the house, and use our restroom. Not having to keep our dogs in the kennel all day, and having to worry that I have picked up all the dog poop from the yard each morning. Not havig to worry about what our backyard looks like each day (the parents use our back door now).

I also think the ability to leave work each day, and go home would be really nice. In addition to giving us our whole home back.
Mom&Provider 04:49 PM 11-23-2012
It kinda sounds to me like you've already made the decision!?
EchoMom 05:11 PM 11-23-2012
Originally Posted by blandino:
It really isn't that much more. The rent will be about 5% of each of our income each month. And then utilities - but our home utilities would go down since we wouldn't be there during the day.

We would be increasing our daycare space, and the main plus for us is keeping everything separate. We would be able to keep our kitchen clean instead of using it constantly, all of their cups, food, high chair trays not being in our kitchen all the time. Not having parents ask to come into the house, and use our restroom. Not having to keep our dogs in the kennel all day, and having to worry that I have picked up all the dog poop from the yard each morning. Not havig to worry about what our backyard looks like each day (the parents use our back door now).

I also think the ability to leave work each day, and go home would be really nice. In addition to giving us our whole home back.
In that case it sounds like a no brainer. Do it.
Blackcat31 06:52 AM 11-24-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Honestly, I cannot think of a single reason I wouldn't rent/own a sperate home/daycare space if I could easily afford it!

I hope Blackcat chimes in because she has a seperate house just for daycare purposes!!
There are NO cons.
SunnyDay 09:33 AM 11-24-2012
I'm assuming this is legal in your state?

Would liability insurance cost more?

The only other con I can think of is what happens when/if they decide to stop renting the home? What happens when carpet, etc. needs to be replaced?

I would love having a separate space, but I wouldn't love having someone else have any power over my business. I would really worry about what happens if they change their minds...
Sunchimes 10:45 AM 11-24-2012
I'm sure you've already checked this, but in my state, having a separate building removes you from the realm of home day care and makes you into a center, with an entirely different set of rules.

Other than that, I'd do it in a minute!
Tags:extra income, wwyd
Reply Up