Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Furlough... What Are You Doing
Reimel61 03:24 PM 02-27-2013
Are any of your families going to be furloughed? I have two daycare families where both the mom's work for the government. I've never run into this situation before. In general my parents pay year round other than 1 free week a year for their vacation. Anyone else in this situation?? How are you going to handle it??

I was thinking of not charging for the days they are not here, but if they would get back payed after the fact, say they need to pay up or just pay for half the time they weren't here. I'm a little undecided.

Suggestions?

Thanks
itlw8 04:15 PM 02-27-2013
might be harsh but I would still charge. dcd still gets paid. I bet the kids come anyway that day. Also why should you struggle? bet they get paid more than you do.
ABCDaycareMN 04:43 PM 02-27-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
might be harsh but I would still charge. dcd still gets paid. I bet the kids come anyway that day. Also why should you struggle? bet thee get paid more than you do.
I agree 100%
wahmof3 06:54 PM 02-27-2013
How would you know if they did get back paid? I don't think any of my parents would share that with me especially knowing they would then have to pay me. I agree with pp, why should you suffer? I would charge.
Reimel61 06:58 PM 02-27-2013
The business part of me agrees with you. Having the backbone to do it is another. I know the one family is already having a hard time financially. I care for two chilcren from this family. I doubt that they bring them because they live about 25 miles away.

Thanks for the replys.
MNMum 06:59 PM 02-27-2013
I agree with PP. If these people have been working in a government job, they have had warning that this is a possibility and they should have planned for it. And this is coming from the wife of a government worker
2 young 2 feel this old 08:08 PM 02-27-2013
I have two families that will be affected - one will be adjusting from 10 hours to 8 hours per day so the number of days they need care will not change and neither will my rates. The other family will be cutting down from 5 days a week to 4, we have discussed not paying for the day off but paying a little more each day they are here. (I have a weekly rate of $xx/day and a part-time rate of $1.50 higher than that per day.)
Lyss 09:00 AM 02-28-2013
My husband and his co-workers (state employees) have been required to take furloughs for nearly 2 years now.

I watched one of this co-worker's kids and they just reduced their hours because they don't need care on dads furlough days.

I wouldn't have reduced my fees if they wanted to keep the same schedule.
NeedaVaca 09:24 AM 02-28-2013
Originally Posted by Reimel61:
The business part of me agrees with you. Having the backbone to do it is another. I know the one family is already having a hard time financially. I care for two chilcren from this family. I doubt that they bring them because they live about 25 miles away.

Thanks for the replys.
I get what you are saying & it's nice that you care but if you start lowering rates, etc then soon it could be you having a hard time financially
Reimel61 09:38 AM 02-28-2013
I'm thinking the chicken way out to deal with this is not to say anything at all. If they read my handbook it clearly states that...

"There are a limited number of spaces available therefore; weekly payments are not based on child's attendance. No refunds and no credit are given for late arrivals/early departures, or absences. A place has been reserved for each child that cannot be filled on a short-term basis. I consider my in-home child care a home based business. Charging a flat fee regardless of attendance is what gives me my budget, from which bills are paid and I make a modest living."

So unless she specifically ask me for a reduction in price, I'll let it alone. What got me thinking about this was she told me she had a meeting about how the furloughs would be handled and would let me know what days because it would affect which day the girls would be here.
My3cents 09:48 AM 02-28-2013

Thanks for the replys.
your taking on the problems of your parents. In turn they could turn around and become your problems. Charge them and have not regrets, they can decide to bring them or not bring them but they still pay- you were there working and ready to work. I need to depend upon an income, I charge for the slot not the day. I work hard!!! I have very little time off through the year. I think well of myself to allow this and my family. I do good deeds in other avenues that I choose to help in. If a family came to me and said they were having a hard time a true hard time then I would weight it out and decide if I wanted to help them. It would have to be an honest hardship. I am more then fair with my families and I am more then fair with myself- Everyone has to do what is right for them. I make no bones about this right up front at interviews or if I have someone walk in and its a quick take (this sometimes happens to me) I put it all out on the table. I am paid no matter if your child is in attendance or not. I can't let parents problems become mine.
Sugar Magnolia 09:51 AM 02-28-2013
I'm calling my Congress members and politely asking them to do their jobs to end the sequester.
My3cents 09:55 AM 02-28-2013
I'm thinking the chicken way out to deal with this is not to say anything at all. If they read my handbook it clearly states that...

"There are a limited number of spaces available therefore; weekly payments are not based on child's attendance. No refunds and no credit are given for late arrivals/early departures, or absences. A place has been reserved for each child that cannot be filled on a short-term basis. I consider my in-home child care a home based business. Charging a flat fee regardless of attendance is what gives me my budget, from which bills are paid and I make a modest living."

So unless she specifically ask me for a reduction in price, I'll let it alone. What got me thinking about this was she told me she had a meeting about how the furloughs would be handled and would let me know what days because it would affect which day the girls would be here.
I would change just a little wording on the part where you say you consider. Consider is a word for negotiation and I would have be a non-negotiable. I would word it as.... My home Childcare is a business. I don't think I would say Modest either. I would just say how I make a living. Just tweaks I noticed.

to you for thinking ahead and I agree with you unless she brings it up I would leave it. The parents know. You do have some that push, but they know. I don't even think it is pushing sometimes as just everyone is trying to keep their head above the water and if they can save here and there they will try. If it is brought up you will know what to say and it will come to you even if it is hard to get out. Keep it simple. Best-
pandamom 10:56 AM 02-28-2013
I'd keep charging them the same rate if they want to keep a slot.

I work at the base daycare (government) and my kids attend. I'm not subject to furlough since I'm paid with non-appropriated funds. But I do have some coworkers that are government so they may be subject to furlough. If anyone wants to keep a spot for their child- even parents that work at the center whose kids attend, they pay full rate or lose their spots.
MarinaVanessa 01:48 PM 02-28-2013
My DH works for the county and has had furlough days. During this time my DD was enrolled in pre-school at an elementary school so I suppose it was more like a pre-k but we paid for the services. She was enrolled in the class for half days in the afternoons five days a week. On the days that my DH was home for furlough days she didn't always attend (mostly she did) and we never expected a break in our dues. We paid much the same like how I charge my daycare clients, we pay per week no matter if the child attends or not.

I wouldn't be giving them a deal either, you are not the reason for their circumstances therefore you shouldn't take responsibility for them (I had to be reminded of that last week).
3amazingkiddos 05:52 PM 02-28-2013
I offered 1 of my families a discount for the day, but they declined
Reimel61 06:23 PM 02-28-2013
Thanks for all the input.

Sound like a good suggestion, I will fix the wording in my contract...
Reply Up