Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>At The End Of The Rope With This Family!!! Need Advice!
Unregistered 07:59 AM 10-21-2011
I'm registered, but prefer not to log in with this one

So let's try to make this story short
I've been serving this family for 3 months, child is always unkept and dirty, I had a couple of arguments with the Mom because she was ALWAYS dropping him off with a leaking, filty diaper from the night before, I had to charge late fees more than a couple of times, and they paid late in more than a few occasions. Lots of time Mom said that DAd will come and pick up child two hours before the contracted time, so I plan accordingly, and then early pick up NEVER happens.

This child gets dropped off at 5.45am, which means I have to get up at 5am to be ready by that time. In one occasion child got dropped off at 8am, without even giving me a call to let me know he was going to be late. I told parents to please call anytime in case this happens again, because I'm in school full time, and I do homework until midnight or later, and I can use one or two extra hours of sleep in the morning, if I know that I have no kids until later.

The other day I gave them a 2 weeks notice.... child came yesterdaya at regular time, today he is a "no show", and I got no phone call. I've been up since 5am waiting for this kids they is still not here, almost 3 hours later.

Now, I'm pissed, and I want to terminate immediately, they have all week end to find another daycare....

what would you do????
nannyde 08:01 AM 10-21-2011
Is it payday?

If they know they are leaving they will do as the please for the notice time.
Unregistered 08:05 AM 10-21-2011
That is frustrating...especially the getting up a couple hours earlier just to take him. I would be tempted to terminate immediately especially if they are late paying this week. If they have already paid, I would probably just ride it out and count down the days.
Unregistered 08:18 AM 10-21-2011
No, it's no payday... they pay on Monday morning :/
wdmmom 08:25 AM 10-21-2011
I wouldn't bother. This family has been warned enough. Change your hours effective immediately and post it on the door. Your new opening time is whenever your first kid arrives. If this family shows up on Monday, you'll be sound asleep...or if they're late dropping off, you can tell them personally that their services were terminated today due to no call/no show.
Unregistered 08:40 AM 10-21-2011
collect your $ and replace them. I agree change your hours, your being used.

I am not a person to say term for every little violation, but if your going out of your way to accommodate and they are pulling this.........nah no respect, but then again they have no respect for their children, not caring for them properly. No excuse but lazy.
Unregistered 08:42 AM 10-21-2011
Thanks everyone...
I was looking at the contract and it says that I have the right to terminate immediately if the family doesn't cooperate. I was more than willing to be patience for the next 2 weeks... too bad for them... I also think I gave them too many warnings already...
snowball 09:47 AM 10-21-2011
I would terminate immediately. They are showing you no respect.
laundrymom 10:05 AM 10-21-2011
I'm confused, you already termed them? If so put a note in their cubby with your new hours, then one on door with new hours, effective Monday. When they show mon morn to a dark house, they will be pissed. Start calling you, etc. Just tell them. Oh gee, I told all the other families Friday about the new hours. You were a no show so I put notice on the door and a copy in your cubby. I figured since you know that YOUR CHILD is the only w reason I open so early and you never called telling me you weren't coming that you had forfeited the remainder of the termination period. I never dreamed that you would expect me to open early just in CASE you showed. I'm sorry but because you didn't let me know, I've terminated our contract according to the contract terms.
Meeko 10:12 AM 10-21-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I'm confused, you already termed them? If so put a note in their cubby with your new hours, then one on door with new hours, effective Monday. When they show mon morn to a dark house, they will be pissed. Start calling you, etc. Just tell them. Oh gee, I told all the other families Friday about the new hours. You were a no show so I put notice on the door and a copy in your cubby. I figured since you know that YOUR CHILD is the only w reason I open so early and you never called telling me you weren't coming that you had forfeited the remainder of the termination period. I never dreamed that you would expect me to open early just in CASE you showed. I'm sorry but because you didn't let me know, I've terminated our contract according to the contract terms.
We need a "like" button
morgan24 10:26 AM 10-21-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I like this too!!
permanentvacation 10:43 AM 10-21-2011
I would have gotten rid of them a FEW problems ago! I usually give people 2 times of doing something that upsets me (everyone is human and makes mistakes), but the third time I have a problem with someone, I get rid of them.

In my contract, I cover my ability to either give them a two weeks notice or simply drop them like a bad habit! I have a two weeks notice required from either party. They ALWAYS have to give me a two weeks notice. However, I also have a section that states that I have the right to immediately discontinue services for a number of reasons that are somewhat generic. One of those reasons is disrespect from the child or child's family. The way I see it, having you get up at 5 expecting them to be there at 5:45 and not calling or showing up til 8, is disrespect. Another is failure to pay in full and on time. I have told a parent or two that I would wait til Monday for payment ( I get paid on Friday for the coming week), but if they don't have the money Monday, I don't let them leave their child. Depending on the family, I might give them another day to pay me or tell them that this isn't going to work out and I'll get their child's items (their change of clothes that they leave here) for them because they can't come back.

If you really can't afford to get rid of them immediately, you might want to keep a running advertisement even when you have daycare kids. You can always start keeping a wait list if you are full when parents call from your ad. Then if you have problems with parents or kids, you can call people from the waiting list. Once you get a good group of kids and parents, you can stop running your ads.

One parent or kid who doesn't work well with your daycare can make you hateful all day which the kids will pick up on, so it's not worth putting up with the ones that ruin your day. I would do my best to replace them.
Tags:parents - don't cooperate, terminate - now, two week notice
Reply Up