Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Big Sigh...
KIDZRMYBIZ 08:17 AM 04-24-2014
...of relief, and sadness.

I had my unannounced state inspection. Everything was in order, and I "scored" perfectly. There are lots and lots of new regulations in NE, as the rules are all the same now, whether you're an in-home or a center. I made all the appropriate changes correctly, and it's done.

I was happy to have the opportunity to pick my caseworker's brain about QRIS that's starting up here, and she agreed with all my concerns as to why so much of it is just not feasible with a mixed-age group. She was sympathetic, and also told me she sees it being mandatory in 3 years, and worries what it will do to the number of in-homes left. I think I will be one of them not able to hang in there if participation is no longer voluntary.

And...we had a conversation about liability insurance. She says this will be mandatory in July this year, and I will be getting a letter about it soon. I've never carried it, it was a risk I was willing to take, but now I won't have the choice. Fine, it is what it is. However...she told me it's a sticky situation, because adding a rider to a homeowner's policy is good for only 6 children, whereas we are licensed for 8. If there (God forbid) was a claim and more than 6 were in care, the policy is void. These policies generally run $800-$900/year, and you would have to drop back to 6 kids' income. I knew this already, and that is precisely why I don't have it. This I didn't know: the other option is to get a commercial policy, which runs at least double and more. Ugh. Looks like I have some research to do.

The state involvement is really ruining daycare for me now. Poop.
llpa 08:29 AM 04-24-2014
I feel the same way! I just got my license in August 2013 and yesterday I received a packet to be recertified for NEXT YEAR! I did all of that just a few months ago and am having my yearly inspection again now too! I hate the dictation of what/how to do my thing. I was so excited to do this and that part of it is a huge disappointment. I feel like the state is a huge weight on my back.
TheGoodLife 08:43 AM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:

I had my unannounced state inspection. Everything was in order, and I "scored" perfectly. There are lots and lots of new regulations in NE, as the rules are all the same now, whether you're an in-home or a center. I made all the appropriate changes correctly, and it's done.

I was happy to have the opportunity to pick my caseworker's brain about QRIS that's starting up here, and she agreed with all my concerns as to why so much of it is just not feasible with a mixed-age group. She was sympathetic, and also told me she sees it being mandatory in 3 years, and worries what it will do to the number of in-homes left. I think I will be one of them not able to hang in there if participation is no longer voluntary.

And...we had a conversation about liability insurance. She says this will be mandatory in July this year, and I will be getting a letter about it soon. I've never carried it, it was a risk I was willing to take, but now I won't have the choice. Fine, it is what it is. However...she told me it's a sticky situation, because adding a rider to a homeowner's policy is good for only 6 children, whereas we are licensed for 8. If there (God forbid) was a claim and more than 6 were in care, the policy is void. These policies generally run $800-$900/year, and you would have to drop back to 6 kids' income. I knew this already, and that is precisely why I don't have it. This I didn't know: the other option is to get a commercial policy, which runs at least double and more. Ugh. Looks like I have some research to do.

I am license exempt here in NE, but would like to keep up on licensing regulations- do you have any websites that review/summarizes the changes? Thanks!
NightOwl 09:03 AM 04-24-2014
I'm not from your area, what is QRIS?
drseuss 09:11 AM 04-24-2014
Sent you a PM!
KIDZRMYBIZ 10:29 AM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
I'm not from your area, what is QRIS?
Quality Rating and Improvement Scale. It's official name here is "Step Up to Quality." Some states call it "Stars," I think. I call it BS!
Annalee 10:37 AM 04-24-2014

There were over 3000 group/family child care programs in 2002 when QRIS was mandated in our state (Tennessee). There are 892 today...and the STATE still don't get it!!!! All it did was push many child care providers underground so children are now in illegally unlicensed homes.
Annalee 10:38 AM 04-24-2014
I think. I call it BS!

KIDZRMYBIZ 10:47 AM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
I am license exempt here in NE, but would like to keep up on licensing regulations- do you have any websites that review/summarizes the changes? Thanks!
It's all in the DHHS website, for new regs, anyway.

http://dhhs.ne.gov/publichealth/Page...careindex.aspx

They no longer provide booklets for parents, either, just a brochure with a "receipt" that clients have to sign saying they studied the website and understand what their provider being licensed means. I think it's weird.

The website is not yet up and running for the Step Up to Quality, and just says "more to come."

I haven't looked at anything for the liability insurance. My caseworker said it's been in the works a L-O-N-G time, and it finally was pushed through legislature because of that toddler that drowned in Wahoo last year. That was a total case of negligence, and a piss-poor provider from what I heard about it. I had read an article in the OWH about the law passing, so I knew it was coming.

My caseworker also said that some of her gals are planning to hire assistants to participate with QRIS, because of the nature of the expectations. Who the heck can afford to do that??? No way, no how, am I interested in doing that.

If only I could watch more than 3 kids without a license. I don't have my own little kids at home anymore, so it would not be justifiable financially to do this for only 3. They need to come up with a special licensure just for people like me.
Heidi 10:47 AM 04-24-2014

I have a commercial policy for 8 children, and it's $526 per year. West Bend Insurance. I'm not sure if they cover your state, though. http://www.thesilverlining.com/
Heidi 10:52 AM 04-24-2014
It's all in the DHHS website, for new regs, anyway.

http://dhhs.ne.gov/publichealth/Page...careindex.aspx

They no longer provide booklets for parents, either, just a brochure with a "receipt" that clients have to sign saying they studied the website and understand what their provider being licensed means. I think it's weird.

The website is not yet up and running for the Step Up to Quality, and just says "more to come."

I haven't looked at anything for the liability insurance. My caseworker said it's been in the works a L-O-N-G time, and it finally was pushed through legislature because of that toddler that drowned in Wahoo last year. That was a total case of negligence, and a piss-poor provider from what I heard about it. I had read an article in the OWH about the law passing, so I knew it was coming.

My caseworker also said that some of her gals are planning to hire assistants to participate with QRIS, because of the nature of the expectations. Who the heck can afford to do that??? No way, no how, am I interested in doing that.

If only I could watch more than 3 kids without a license. I don't have my own little kids at home anymore, so it would not be justifiable financially to do this for only 3. They need to come up with a special licensure just for people like me.

Legally unlicensed here is 3, too. Guess how many I have right now? Four! 2 full time, and 2 4 days per week. So, I am actually licensed for the 1-2 days a week I have 4 here, and because 1 of mine is state-assistance, and because of the food program.

I got a notice yesterday that my son who just was (honorably) discharged from the army now needs a fingerprint check, which will soon be required for all household member over 12. At $35 a crack, it'll cost me $175 just to prove what I already know. That we are, indeed, who we say we are, and that none of us have criminal records.
Annalee 10:53 AM 04-24-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Legally unlicensed here is 3, too. Guess how many I have right now? Four! 2 full time, and 2 4 days per week. So, I am actually licensed for the 1-2 days a week I have 4 here, and because 1 of mine is state-assistance, and because of the food program.

I got a notice yesterday that my son who just was (honorably) discharged from the army now needs a fingerprint check, which will soon be required for all household member over 12. At $35 a crack, it'll cost me $175 just to prove what I already know. That we are, indeed, who we say we are, and that none of us have criminal records.
We have the same rule but the state pays for our background checks.
llpa 11:47 AM 04-24-2014
Quality Rating and Improvement Scale. It's official name here is "Step Up to Quality." Some states call it "Stars," I think. I call it BS!
Mine is Keystone Stars
Tags:qris
Reply Up