Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mortifying and possibly bad for business
deliberateliterate 11:26 AM 08-07-2014
I took the kids to the splash pad this morning. There were 5 kids including my 2. It was great... Everyone was having a blast, a great mix of them all playing together, and me playing with them. Then I ran into a DCD that came with DCG who doesn't come on Thursdays. We're chatting at the side of the pad, and as usual, I do a pretty much continual head count of my kids, but the extra DCG that wasn't really mine that day was throwing me off. Well of course, don't I lose track of one. And what's worse, I didn't even realize I had lost track until my 4 year old pointed out my youngest walking on the sidewalk on the other side of the pad. It was only a minute since last checked, but she's quick. The rest of the outing was great... We had a lovely picnic at the adjoining soccer field, but I can't shake the feeling that I screwed up, and in front of someone who was probably evaluating how i handled my DCKs. So glad today is my Friday!!
preschoolteacher 11:31 AM 08-07-2014
I feel for you! I ran into a daycare family while at the park on a field trip and having the other kid there with DCM threw off my count too, I kept feeling like I was supposed to watch that kid, and it was a little disorienting!
AmyKidsCo 11:57 AM 08-07-2014
I'm like that all the time!

Last summer I took my boys to swim lessons during my vacation week. A nearby group center brought kids to play in the wading pool and I found myself counting THEIR kids!
e.j. 02:47 PM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by deliberateliterate:
Then I ran into a DCD that came with DCG who doesn't come on Thursdays. We're chatting at the side of the pad, and as usual, I do a pretty much continual head count of my kids, but the extra DCG that wasn't really mine that day was throwing me off. Well of course, don't I lose track of one. And what's worse, I didn't even realize I had lost track until my 4 year old pointed out my youngest walking on the sidewalk on the other side of the pad. It was only a minute since last checked, but she's quick.
Hopefully, DCD is like most dads. They tend to be a lot more relaxed than dcms about that kind of thing. If he didn't say anything, he may not have even noticed there was a problem. I know my husband never picks up on things like that.

I really don't like it when dc parents want to chit chat while I'm trying to watch the kids, especially when we're outside playing. I'm usually counting heads while I'm half-listening to them. Having to carry on a conversation with another adult can be so distracting to me.
TwinKristi 03:23 PM 08-07-2014
My dh thinks it's lame that I don't take the kids to the park but this is exactly why!! OMG I would be so nervous and panicked the whole time. Even with 2 adults and 5 kids I get freaked out. What if they start running in opposite directions? I have 6 of my own kids, including twins and managed to take them to the park on my own a billion times but other people's kids are different. I feel for you!!
midaycare 05:15 PM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Hopefully, DCD is like most dads. They tend to be a lot more relaxed than dcms about that kind of thing. If he didn't say anything, he may not have even noticed there was a problem. I know my husband never picks up on things like that.

I really don't like it when dc parents want to chit chat while I'm trying to watch the kids, especially when we're outside playing. I'm usually counting heads while I'm half-listening to them. Having to carry on a conversation with another adult can be so distracting to me.
Yes! To both the dcd's usually being more relaxed and me not wanting to chit chat.
KiddieCahoots 05:23 PM 08-07-2014
The "head count" common area is cracking me up right now.
When I went on a field trip with my sons K. classroom, broke into the same routine....head count, after head count, after head count.....lol!
Unregistered 07:52 AM 08-12-2014
heres one to make you feel better
last week
2 parents picking up last 2 children
one parent is stressed for has to deal with her mom
so takes her child to car parked up drive on the road and phones mom so sitting there for a bit
other parent who has a 2 year old that acts up when mom here running not listening ex..sits and talks about schedualing
she sitting on couch I in a chair facing pourch with gate and see half of closed gate
I had a worker here going in and out and closing gate ever time
parent and I in deep discusion ....and realize all is quite
we look up to first parent leaving with the 2 year old in arms coming back
he got to the road
yes our hearts stopped
parent of 2 year old does not tell father ever ...and next week blames worker for not closing gate
said she couldnt even look at him .......passes the blame
knowing the child was fine and a close call ..I still relaxed at my part
it is the parents responsiblity for their child when here
Reply Up