Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potential DCM Loses Her Mind
Jujube835 08:56 AM 06-01-2015
Got a call from a desperate mom with 2 kids needing care immediately. She asked if I accept child care subsidy and I said "yes, but I require that parents pay upfront and then I refund the money once DHS pays me." And this lady WENT OFF. She literally went from begging me to take her kids TODAY to screaming that I'm a crook and she has no cash to pay me. "The point of subsidy is that I shouldn't have to pay you!!.. What kind of sick, twisted crook requires that a poor single mother pay for care when the state says I don't have to?!!.. I can't get any money to pay for my stuff if you won't watch my kids so I can go to work!!"

I seriously burst into laughter. Ive been screwed by the child care subsidy thing before. People always think they'll receive it and then they get denied and I'm out of luck with no chance of getting paid. Noooo thank you! I listened for about 30 seconds of straight screaming before I figured out she wasn't going to stop.. Then hung up. Whew, dodged a bullet there!
Luvnmykidz 09:21 AM 06-01-2015
Lol. I don't really have a response but thought I would share that I burst into laughter reading your post and imagining what this mom sounded like. You definitely dodged a bullet.
daycarediva 09:39 AM 06-01-2015
Originally Posted by BakerMomma:
Got a call from a desperate mom with 2 kids needing care immediately. She asked if I accept child care subsidy and I said "yes, but I require that parents pay upfront and then I refund the money once DHS pays me." And this lady WENT OFF. She literally went from begging me to take her kids TODAY to screaming that I'm a crook and she has no cash to pay me. "The point of subsidy is that I shouldn't have to pay you!!.. What kind of sick, twisted crook requires that a poor single mother pay for care when the state says I don't have to?!!.. I can't get any money to pay for my stuff if you won't watch my kids so I can go to work!!"

I seriously burst into laughter. Ive been screwed by the child care subsidy thing before. People always think they'll receive it and then they get denied and I'm out of luck with no chance of getting paid. Noooo thank you! I listened for about 30 seconds of straight screaming before I figured out she wasn't going to stop.. Then hung up. Whew, dodged a bullet there!
I just DO NOT TAKE IT. I had to reimburse the state and get payments from a dcp before. NEVER EVER AGAIN (and yes, she paid me, even I was shocked!)
Controlled Chaos 11:09 AM 06-01-2015
I take state subsidy. I haven't had a problem with it yet. Though, I like the idea of reimbursing the parent, that seems safe, and I might consider it with clients in the future. I can't imagine yelling at someone like that lady did...people are crazy
Heidi 11:10 AM 06-01-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I take state subsidy. I haven't had a problem with it yet. Though, I like the idea of reimbursing the parent, that seems safe, and I might consider it with clients in the future. I can't imagine yelling at someone like that lady did...people are crazy
Nope...people are ENTITLED...

This, coming from a blatant liberal.
AmyKidsCo 12:41 PM 06-01-2015
That's a fantastic way to deal with subsidies! I haven't accepted subsidies for 7 years because it was such a PITB, but if I ever do in the future I'm definitely doing it that way.
TheGoodLife 12:48 PM 06-01-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Nope...people are ENTITLED...

This, coming from a blatant liberal.
AMEN! I am a liberal, and I cannot STAND the level of entitlement that some people have. DON'T HAVE CHILDREN if you are going to have that mindset! Like it's your responsibility to care for her children for free so she can make money! Uggh, people like that make me so mad!
Mandy 08:32 AM 06-02-2015
Hi .

it was definitely good that you got to hear a preview of her behavior. I would think that any parent would understand this rule of paying upfront first while DHS was processing the paperwork. You had mentioned that you give parents the money back if the subsity from DHS goes through and they accept it. I think her reaction signifys that she would not have been the best daycare parent to work with.

I am glad things worked out for you though. I found it bizzare that she screamed in your ear though. That was a demonstration of how emotionally mature she was *rolls eyes at her for screaming at you*.

Never give up on what you have in place . Wishing you the best of good luck that the next potential parent will be nicer to you .
Reply Up