Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Trained but Screams to Go Every 10 Minutes During Nap Time
WBee 02:01 AM 05-26-2016
Sorry, long.-Dcg has been trained for a long time now but had an accident about 1 1/2 months ago. Dcm was very upset with dcg. Right after that dcg started going potty frequently. Now she is fine however, during nap time she "has to go bad!" every 10 min. Dr says no uti or urine issues. I let her go 3x within less than 1 hr (during nap) and then asked her to wait a while to go next time. She screamed bloody murder. This has been happening for approx. 4 weeks now. Dcg kept all other kids up. I ignored her repeating " wait 30 more.... 20 more...5 more...1 more min. to go." Mind you, she screamed doing the potty dance the entire time until she would see or hear something new and interesting. Then she was fine and stopped the screaming dance until she realized she had stopped-then she'd start all over again. Anyway, w/1 min. left to go, I say,"Ok, go ahead now." Yes, you guessed it. She peed herself. Not very much but...enough. Dcg is strong willed and refuses to go to bed for Dad at nt also. Dcm works until 1am and comes home having to put dcg to bed. Dcm is a friend and I know she was po'd at me & dcg for the accident. What do I do now? She is only 1x per week. I refuse to play potty/nap games. Mom doesn't want her to nap and says shes bored however, she NEEDS it and falls asleep rather quickly. I feel she (dcg) is trying to run/control things here and refuse to let her do so.
nannyde 05:59 AM 05-26-2016
Back into diaper at nap.
Leigh 06:36 AM 05-26-2016
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Back into diaper at nap.

ChelseaB 09:24 AM 05-26-2016
Yes to the diaper at nap again. Kids aren't potty trained if they're still having accidents.

Nap time is for nap time -- we go potty right before we lie down, otherwise, it's time to sleep. Sounds like she's testing you for one reason or another (I had one exactly like this). After a few weeks of consistent "no, you went potty before bed, it's time to sleep" and the simple fact learning how to hold it during necessary times is part of training, my DCB now sleeps and does well with no accidents at nap time.

I wouldn't fret about DCM, many parents want to blame us for any issue. Your daycare, your rules though. I'd say DCG is reflecting what she wants and gets at home, and she knows enough how to manipulate to get it. my own SD used to purposely pee her pants at times to avoid bed/nap or purposely gag herself to throw up if she didn't want to eat what we were having. However, with consistency, she's pretty much stopped and learned our will is stronger than hers! Lol
daycarediva 09:51 AM 05-26-2016
Diaper at nap. I would discuss it with her before hand, too.

"I am putting a diaper on you because you had a rest time accident and we need our blanket and mat clean and dry. You are going potty NOW. We are NOT going potty at rest time. At rest time we rest. You can be the first to go potty when rest time is over."

I would move her away from the group as much as possible if she started screaming, but I would NOT even speak to her or entertain her tantrum after I moved her and repeated "potty after rest".

There is no way it is a true potty emergency.
Controlled Chaos 12:06 PM 05-26-2016
Yep, I would have her go right before nap and then put a diaper on her. No one leaves their bed during nap (unless its an older child and they REALLY have to go). IF they cant hold it the 2 hours lights are off, they where a diaper. No big deal.
Blackcat31 01:05 PM 05-26-2016
Originally Posted by WBee:
Sorry, long.-Dcg has been trained for a long time now but had an accident about 1 1/2 months ago. Dcm was very upset with dcg. Right after that dcg started going potty frequently. Now she is fine however, during nap time she "has to go bad!" every 10 min. Dr says no uti or urine issues. I let her go 3x within less than 1 hr (during nap) and then asked her to wait a while to go next time. She screamed bloody murder. This has been happening for approx. 4 weeks now. Dcg kept all other kids up. I ignored her repeating " wait 30 more.... 20 more...5 more...1 more min. to go." Mind you, she screamed doing the potty dance the entire time until she would see or hear something new and interesting. Then she was fine and stopped the screaming dance until she realized she had stopped-then she'd start all over again. Anyway, w/1 min. left to go, I say,"Ok, go ahead now." Yes, you guessed it. She peed herself. Not very much but...enough. Dcg is strong willed and refuses to go to bed for Dad at nt also. Dcm works until 1am and comes home having to put dcg to bed. Dcm is a friend and I know she was po'd at me & dcg for the accident. What do I do now? She is only 1x per week. I refuse to play potty/nap games. Mom doesn't want her to nap and says shes bored however, she NEEDS it and falls asleep rather quickly. I feel she (dcg) is trying to run/control things here and refuse to let her do so.
I wouldn't go the diaper at nap route.

Instead, I'd ask mom to come pick her up at nap time.

She is disturbing the other kids and isn't utilizing potty time DURING nap time.

This is no different than the child that wants to eat AFTER lunch is over or the kid that only wants to paint when it's not a painting day.

You do X during X time and Y during Y time.

If she is provided an opportunity to use the toilet BEFORE nap and does not, I'd have mom come get her.

If she does use the potty before nap but still says she has to go again during nap, I'd say no. period.

If she disrupts the other kids, mom needs to come get her.

Mom can be pissed at who ever she wants to be but bottom line is this is HER child and SHE needs to figure out how her child can conform to GROUP rules or SHE needs to care for her herself.

It's AMAZING how quickly parents find a solution for an issue once the issue becomes a bother to them and not you.
Unregistered 02:37 PM 05-26-2016
Since been trained for a while I would not put a diaper on just make sure goes before nap
WBee 01:45 AM 05-31-2016
So I ignored her behavior last week however it started during lunch time instead. She refused to eat and cried for Mommy to come get her. (Dcm warned her at drop off not to do the ritual.) I said,"no. I'm not calling Mom to pick up early. You don't tell me what to do here." Told her to go potty and then on her cot quietly. The screaming/crying began, she went potty, demanded to go again, yet couldn't pee. Hmmm! So I explained and then put a diaper on her. She cried,"...not a baby!" Again, "Sorry. Cannot have you peeing on my floor. Go lie down.We are done here. I am not playing this game w/you."She screamed, cried...Fell asleep in 5 minutes! I told dcm what happened, she may or may not be coming back again. Mom says she loves it here but needs to take away something she loves...up to Dad. We shall see!
Reply Up