Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:57 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default EXTREMELY Emotional 2 Year Old

How do you handle the child who cries about EVERYTHING? In my years, I have never had one quite lile this. He is a quiet lid, likes to play by himself. But he is so emotional, every touch, bump, if someone takes a toy away that is near him, turns into a crying session...everytime. I mean this kid probably has 10 meltdowns per day. It's rough. I've tried ignoring it in certain circumstances, taken him away for "a break" until he is settled. Seems the older he gets the worse it is getting. Once parents get here for pick up he turns into a wild child!
Old 05-12-2017, 10:04 AM
Daycare.com Member

What do the parents say?

It sounds like there is some issue- sensory or otherwise. Has the child been in childcare before?
Old 05-12-2017, 10:10 AM
Daycare.com Member

I agree with Diva--could be a sensory issue and needs to be investigated.

In the meantime, is it possible you're interpreting his current M.O. as a desire to be alone, and you're therefore spending less time with him than he needs in order to build a feeling of security?
Old 05-12-2017, 05:13 PM
Daycare.com Member

I have an emotional 3 yo who just started. I don't think she's ever been in group care before, and she has severe speech delays. She does seem very smart though.

She cries a ton a drop off, and then dissolves into tears and wanting mom many times during the day. She has improved a lot since she started (or I wouldn't have been able to keep her), but still does cry quite a bit.

I have her sit on the "calm down sofa," which is covered with a sheet and then I ask her after a while if she wants to play or cry. She'll say play then she moves on. I remind her of her choice when she starts tearing up again.

Since she has made quite a bit of improvement in a month or so, I figure that she'll keep improving, especially as she gets older.

However, I've often wondered how I would have coped with her if she had been this way as a two year old or a one year old. I wouldn't think that a choice of cry/sofa vs play would work very well with younger ages.

She's a funny kid. I don't think I've ever seen her smile, not once, since she started. She can have temper tantrums too. I think the tantrums are behavior but the other is temperament. I'm just trying to help her deal better with who she is and with her world.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:28 AM
Daycare.com Member

Do you think he could possibly just be tired? I have a 1 yr old that acts similarly (crying over everything, including kids coming near him) until after he takes a good nap and then he changes into a funny and sweet little boy.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:49 PM
Daycare.com Member

I have an over tired, no cry parenting 15 month old who cries over everything. If someone approaches him, it's a solid 20 min meltdown.

Tags
2 year old, emotional, sensitive