Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bad Case Of Ringworm...What Would You Do
MamaB'sKidz 07:26 PM 09-24-2014
Last week one of my DCB's came in with ringworm. At drop off that morning he had a band aid on his arm and mom said it was a bug bite. Never thought twice about it until, at breakfast I noticed a spot on his face. I peeled his band aid back, realized it was ringworm and called the mom for pick up. He saw his doctor, got a topical prescription and mom kept him out for the rest of the week to be on the safe side. This Monday he comes back, he had 8 spots of ring worm on him but they were all being treated so I figured he was safe to stay. Tuesday morning mom calls me and tells me it had spread to his scalp and they just found more spots on his body also. Now I was panicking a little since I have 5 other kids in my care not to mention my own family. Mom took DCB back to doctor and he's now on a special antibiotic. He's been on this med for 24 hours and mom wants to bring him back to daycare tomorrow. I did tell her as long as his doctor is 100% sure it's safe than he could. I'm very nervous about this the more I think about it. I don't want it to spread through my daycare. He has been on medicine long enough per my sick policy but I'm just not sure??? WWYD?
daycare 08:01 PM 09-24-2014
I am dealing with this too not too sure of all te necessary steps that must take place before child is able to return.

The only thing I require is that you must be on medication for a full 24 hours before returning to care.
Michael 11:19 PM 09-24-2014
More threads on Ringworm: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=ringworm
coolconfidentme 03:30 AM 09-25-2014
Have you notified the other parents of being exposed to something contagious? What is your policy for ringworm? I contacted the state over a DCK with my concern of ringworm. It was a crazy situation & in Micheal's link. Good luck!
Thegrayghost1966 06:09 AM 09-25-2014
My daughter is currently battling this only the doctor called it something else. Right now her back is covered. It started on the insides of her legs (like jock itch) then spread everywhere she sweats. She dances and sweats a lot. She just finished 2 weeks of oral Lamisil. In order to take more (could take weeks to clearup) she has to have her liver enzymes tested because Lamisil can be harmful to the liver! We also use OTC spray. Mom better get a handle on it as it is hard to treat if it gets out of hand. And ours did quickly! Thankfully, she is older and we can keep it from spreading in our house as we don't share towels, blankets, clothing and etc.
Blackcat31 06:24 AM 09-25-2014
Here is the pdf page about ringworm.

Taken from our state's infectious disease/illness manual.

http://www.hennepin.us/~/media/henne...-s6-ringwm.pdf
Mom o Col 06:33 AM 09-25-2014
Originally Posted by Thegrayghost1966:
My daughter is currently battling this only the doctor called it something else. Right now her back is covered. It started on the insides of her legs (like jock itch) then spread everywhere she sweats. She dances and sweats a lot. She just finished 2 weeks of oral Lamisil. In order to take more (could take weeks to clearup) she has to have her liver enzymes tested because Lamisil can be harmful to the liver! We also use OTC spray. Mom better get a handle on it as it is hard to treat if it gets out of hand. And ours did quickly! Thankfully, she is older and we can keep it from spreading in our house as we don't share towels, blankets, clothing and etc.
Did the doctor call it Tinea by any chance?
Thegrayghost1966 09:36 AM 09-25-2014
Yes, tinea something. They are all fungal (athletes foot, ringworm, jock itch and etc.). She doesn't even have it on her arms or most of her legs but rather places like between her legs, her back, bra line and basically where she sweats the most. The thing is, it hasn't even been that itchy. I even read somewhere that if you have athletes foot not to put your underwear on before your socks cause it can spread and become jock itch. Don't know if that's true though? Guessing that's why most people pick it up from sweaty gyms. For the record, we think she got it from a hot tub at a condo we stayed at on vacation. I've tried to tell my kids hot tubs are nasty and well I guess they know now!
Unregistered 07:58 AM 01-06-2015
I know this is old,but after months of battling what we thought was a skin fungus/ringworm, my daughter finally got in to see a dermatologist. They did a skin scraping and she did not have fungus but rather something call pityriasis rosea. The treatment is nothing more than steroid cream for itching. It usually goes away in 6 to 8 weeks but can last longer. Mother of the year award right here! 😟 I'd never heard of ot before and it looked like classic ringworm type fungus.
Tags:ringworm
Reply Up