Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-16-2015, 02:56 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default Drdp - Help

is anyone trained and certified in DRDP for california?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-16-2015, 03:00 PM
Crystal's Avatar
Crystal Crystal is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,955
Default

I am trained but not certified. What do you need?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-16-2015, 03:09 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachingForQualityImprovement View Post
I am trained but not certified. What do you need?
to know how to understand it....lmao

I am doing the online training and cert class and its soooooo hard for me to understand. I feel like I need an interpreter...lol

I found out that with RTT I will need to get certified in this and conduct one for each of my dcks....holy crap that is a lot to do ontop of drdp tech and asq asqse

I am going to have to clone myself, how will I make this work?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-16-2015, 03:53 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

I just dont know where to start

like where do i get the forms

how often do I fill out the full assessment??

stuff like that

I have completed the drdp -pd and it and now I am just trying to start using it, but without any assistance, I can't figure out what to do.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-16-2015, 04:47 PM
kendallina's Avatar
kendallina kendallina is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,639
Default

I used to do the DRDP (this was about 6 years ago when I lived in Cali, though, so it may have changed). I know for us, the only way we could have completed it was to take notes on what the kiddos could do throughout the day. For example, we see Joey counting 10 objects using 1-1 correspondence, then we write that down. We compiled those notes as well as pictures they drew and photos of the kids in a portfolio and then twice a year we completed the DRDP using our documentation.

After a while, you'll learn what's on the assessment and can gear your notes to what's on the assessment. It's also good for noticing trends within your group. One fall, after completing the first assessment we noticed in one of our classrooms the children scored pretty low on rhyming. Turns out the teachers in that room just hadn't been doing a lot of rhyming with the group, so they started incorporating that more into their curriculum.

It's a lot of work and while I was a total believer in it while I was doing it (I even trained others at conferences and workshops on it), now I couldn't imagine spending that amount of time and enegry on an assessment. Especially if you have to do multiple age groups.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-16-2015, 05:11 PM
Crystal's Avatar
Crystal Crystal is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,955
Default

Here are all the forms:

http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/cd/ci/drdpforms.asp

You should conduct the drdp within 45 days of enrollment, then again towards the end of the "school year" Head start does it at the beginning, middle and end of the year.

Like Kendallina said, just jot down notes on observations, sticky notes work well, use photo documentation and then record on the drdp either as you go or towards time to fill out the drdp.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-16-2015, 05:12 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallina View Post
I used to do the DRDP (this was about 6 years ago when I lived in Cali, though, so it may have changed). I know for us, the only way we could have completed it was to take notes on what the kiddos could do throughout the day. For example, we see Joey counting 10 objects using 1-1 correspondence, then we right that down. We compiled those notes as well as pictures they drew and photos of the kids in a portfolio and then twice a year we completed the DRDP using our documentation.

After a while, you'll learn what's on the assessment and can gear your notes to what's on the assessment. It's also good for noticing trends within your group. One fall, after completing the first assessment we noticed in one of our classrooms the children scored pretty low on rhyming. Turns out the teachers in that room just hadn't been doing a lot of rhyming with the group, so they started incorporating that more into their curriculum.

It's a lot of work and while I was a total believer in it while I was doing it (I even trained others at conferences and workshops on it), now I couldn't imagine spending that amount of time and enegry on an assessment. Especially if you have to do multiple age groups.
I have 14 kids ages from 18 months to 6 years old.

I am stressing just about having to do them. I feel so overwhelmed just doing the training online.

Good thing is that i have the complied evidence of pictures and such, just don't really understand how to complete the assessments..

ugh

thank you for responding to my post.......i am soooo stressed
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-16-2015, 05:27 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachingForQualityImprovement View Post
Here are all the forms:

http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/cd/ci/drdpforms.asp

You should conduct the drdp within 45 days of enrollment, then again towards the end of the "school year" Head start does it at the beginning, middle and end of the year.

Like Kendallina said, just jot down notes on observations, sticky notes work well, use photo documentation and then record on the drdp either as you go or towards time to fill out the drdp.
i guess now the new 2015 says within 60 days of enrollment....

I am sooo lost i can't find the drdp it documents to finish my online training
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-16-2015, 05:38 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

I figured it out.....the test online is still going off of the drdp 2010, not the 2015???? just when i think I cant stress anymore
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-16-2015, 07:40 PM
spedmommy4's Avatar
spedmommy4 spedmommy4 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northern Oregon
Posts: 933
Default

I'm in California and I just started using the DRDP as well. it can be overwhelming at first but I have found it helps if you do a chunk at a time. I keep my cell phone on me all day so I can snap a quick picture of a new skill or make a memo of something a little one says. I use a 30-45 minutes of nap time each day to work on the assessments. I try to focus on one section at a time.

You mention that you complete the ASQ's and ASQ's:se. The ASQ's are designed to be completed by the parents. I just explain the screenings to the parents and send them as a home activity. The ASQ's give the parents a good picture of the things their little one should be doing so it's a good educational activity for the parents as well. (And it can help you bring up concerns, if you have any) The only time I complete them is if I think I would probably never see the screening again.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-17-2015, 05:22 AM
kendallina's Avatar
kendallina kendallina is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,639
Default

So are the DRDP and ASQs now requirements for in-home providers in California? Don't mean to hijack, I'm just wondering...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-17-2015, 06:11 AM
spedmommy4's Avatar
spedmommy4 spedmommy4 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northern Oregon
Posts: 933
Default

They are not licensing requirements. There is a program called race to the top. This program awards funds to participating providers and rates your program on quality; tier 1- tier 5 and a 5 is the highest tier. The program funds are to improve the quality of your program, so you can use them to purchase things like curriculum or playground equipment. Race to the top also advertises your business on their website as a high quality program. In short, it's optional but their are a lot of benefits to participating.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-17-2015, 11:45 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedmommy4 View Post
They are not licensing requirements. There is a program called race to the top. This program awards funds to participating providers and rates your program on quality; tier 1- tier 5 and a 5 is the highest tier. The program funds are to improve the quality of your program, so you can use them to purchase things like curriculum or playground equipment. Race to the top also advertises your business on their website as a high quality program. In short, it's optional but their are a lot of benefits to participating.
hey there cali----

so did you jump on the RTT wagon pilot too???
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-17-2015, 11:51 AM
kendallina's Avatar
kendallina kendallina is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedmommy4 View Post
They are not licensing requirements. There is a program called race to the top. This program awards funds to participating providers and rates your program on quality; tier 1- tier 5 and a 5 is the highest tier. The program funds are to improve the quality of your program, so you can use them to purchase things like curriculum or playground equipment. Race to the top also advertises your business on their website as a high quality program. In short, it's optional but their are a lot of benefits to participating.
Got this, thanks for explaining. Sounds like a great program. Lots of work for sure, but great program.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-17-2015, 11:53 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallina View Post
Got this, thanks for explaining. Sounds like a great program. Lots of work for sure, but great program.
I have heard good and bad about it.

For example, i don't take state paid....so it's possible that i won't get to participate in it. Which I don't think is fair
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-17-2015, 01:31 PM
spedmommy4's Avatar
spedmommy4 spedmommy4 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northern Oregon
Posts: 933
Default

@daycare I did; the lady from First 5 is coming out for my first evaluation next Friday. We will see how it goes . . .
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-17-2015, 01:38 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedmommy4 View Post
@daycare I did; the lady from First 5 is coming out for my first evaluation next Friday. We will see how it goes . . .
oh wow....do you mind me asking where you are located in CA...you can PM me if you want.

I got in late, I have not heard anything about when we will start to get visitors...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-17-2015, 03:20 PM
spedmommy4's Avatar
spedmommy4 spedmommy4 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northern Oregon
Posts: 933
Default

@daycare Not at all. I'm in Central California. I work with First 5 San Joaquin County.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-17-2015, 03:24 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedmommy4 View Post
@daycare Not at all. I'm in Central California. I work with First 5 San Joaquin County.
I am not too sure where that is, i am in the Bay area....

I think that is north of you??

I was told that all 8 counties were running their programs differently, which i find annoying, but understand that each county is much different than the next.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-17-2015, 03:41 PM
spedmommy4's Avatar
spedmommy4 spedmommy4 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northern Oregon
Posts: 933
Default

From what you described, it sounds like they are running it differently. In this county, you aren't required to do everything on their list. The awards are incremental and they increase as you do more. The Bay Area is west of here;not too far.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-17-2015, 04:30 PM
Crystal's Avatar
Crystal Crystal is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,955
Default

Each county/consortia has their own way of running the RTT-ELC QRIS pilot. Some provide cash incentives to participate. Others provide coaching and materials based on needs identified in the ECERS and CLASS asessments. I believe all of them provide trainings to providers who are participating. These incentives will not be provided after the pilot phase ends and it is implemented state wide. These incentives are offered now to get providers on board and to help them be prepared for when it does become mandatory. I believe the incentive at that point to work towards achieving a high tier rating will be that those with higher ratings will recive higher levels of state subsidized reimbursement for families enrolled who recieve those subsidies. But, at that time it is not likely that the independent CLASS assessment, independent ECERS/FCCERS assessments, etc will be provided and we will have to pay for those to be done, or we will be unable to achieve the higher tier rating without them.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-17-2015, 05:21 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachingForQualityImprovement View Post
Each county/consortia has their own way of running the RTT-ELC QRIS pilot. Some provide cash incentives to participate. Others provide coaching and materials based on needs identified in the ECERS and CLASS asessments. I believe all of them provide trainings to providers who are participating. These incentives will not be provided after the pilot phase ends and it is implemented state wide. These incentives are offered now to get providers on board and to help them be prepared for when it does become mandatory. I believe the incentive at that point to work towards achieving a high tier rating will be that those with higher ratings will recive higher levels of state subsidized reimbursement for families enrolled who recieve those subsidies. But, at that time it is not likely that the independent CLASS assessment, independent ECERS/FCCERS assessments, etc will be provided and we will have to pay for those to be done, or we will be unable to achieve the higher tier rating without them.
All I hear is

You will have to spend more $$$$&. Ugh.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-17-2015, 05:48 PM
spedmommy4's Avatar
spedmommy4 spedmommy4 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northern Oregon
Posts: 933
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
All I hear is

You will have to spend more $$$$&. Ugh.
That is EXACTLY what I was thinking. I get their line of thinking but I don't believe they think it through. As it stands right now, I am already competing with a ton of stay at home moms and illegally unlicensed providers. When these kinds of laws kick in, the cost of providing care goes up . . . And that's not good for anyone.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drdp, drdp - california

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Something Wrong With Child? midaycare Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 36 06-21-2014 01:56 PM
Observation/Assesment Parental Consent CrackerJacks Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 05-12-2014 04:03 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:13 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming