Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Ever....?
Unregistered 07:39 AM 02-12-2016
Do you ever term for non working parent that brings their child anyway?

I have a situation where mom was working fulltime but has gotten laid off. She didn't mention any of this to me and then dad accidentally let it slip that mom was going for interviews for a new job. I didn't pry as it is none of my business but mom has been coming recently looking like she has been home all day doing nothing! She brings the kid every single day even when the child is sick (not enough to be excluded but still not well) and she picks up at the same time she always did.

I am not sure why but this is annoying me to no end. I am sick now, my daycare kids have gotten sick and this lady is sitting at home doing nothing?
MunchkinWrangler 07:45 AM 02-12-2016
Get over it!

She is probably job searching and in order to get back into the work life she needs her daycare spot. To be honest, would you keep her spot open for free until she finds another job? If she's paying you with no issues, I wouldn't worry about it. A lot of people job search at home on the computer, it's not like it used to be where you actually had to go out and fill out applications.

If her child is sick, then you should exclude and not accept the child into care.

I had a mom who got laid off, brought her baby to me full time so she could go to classes and job search and go on interviews. She found a great job and is one of my best families. Sometimes, I begrudged her, but I was getting paid, so I didn't complain.
MunchkinWrangler 07:46 AM 02-12-2016
I mean this in the nicest way possible, I promise!
mommyneedsadayoff 07:59 AM 02-12-2016
I didn't term, but it did annoy me. Mom got laid off and got 6 weeks unemployment, so she basically just stayed home and did the minimum in terms of looking for a job. After unemployment ran out, she spent another few weeks actively looking and complained to me about how hard it is to find work and how she misses her little girl so much and couldn't find a job that had regular 8-5 hours. I didn't feel bad, since she had the opportunity to spend time with her during those six weeks and she didn't.

Not much you can do about it, but if you want to term, then term. Bringing a sick kid is grounds for termination in my book, but if you feel like her situation is temporary and there are no other issues, then I would try not to let it bug you too much.
Cat Herder 08:04 AM 02-12-2016
Nope.

As long as they pay me on time, their contract is in full effect.
Thriftylady 08:19 AM 02-12-2016
While I would love if all parents wanted to spend time with their kids, not all do. It would only irritate me from the standpoint it would be nice to have an easier day here and there, but that is kind of my issue since this is my job. In the situation of a job loss though, I would hope that parent is spending the time looking for a job, because the parent keeping a job means I keep a spot filled.
Unregistered 08:36 AM 02-12-2016
The child was not sick enough to exclude or I would have excluded. The contract is based on working parents so the exclusions are for really really sick kids. If it was based on non working parents she would have been excluded.

I know I am getting paid and I know I need to get over it but it is still annoying. I think the secrecy is the most annoying. For example today I am sick. Not enough to close but I only have her kid today and she is at home doing nothing....or is she? I have no idea. I don't want to close if she is working but would like to close if she isn't. See my dilemma? She mentioned that grandpa was dropping kid off today as she has an appointment (not an interview). Every time she has an appointment she takes the day for herself. She has told me that before when she was working full time.

I don't know why I expect parents to want to hang out with their kids. Pick up early once in a while or take a day with your child and spend time with them if you aren't working.

I guess I should take it as a compliment that they prefer her to be with me than themselves.
Unregistered 08:38 AM 02-12-2016
None of this really bothered me before I got sick and everyone else got sick
Cat Herder 08:41 AM 02-12-2016
I completely see your dilemma.

The thing is, you can't let their circumstance effect yours. Otherwise you will never have control of your own happiness.

What they are doing/not doing should never be a variable in your decision to open or close. Not ever.

Feel better soon
Unregistered 08:45 AM 02-12-2016
My other parent is also not working. She keeps the child home when he is sick and she takes days off with him here and there if there is something interesting going on that she wants to take him to. He is only here part time to boot!
Blackcat31 08:50 AM 02-12-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
The child was not sick enough to exclude or I would have excluded. The contract is based on working parents so the exclusions are for really really sick kids. If it was based on non working parents she would have been excluded.

I know I am getting paid and I know I need to get over it but it is still annoying. I think the secrecy is the most annoying. For example today I am sick. Not enough to close but I only have her kid today and she is at home doing nothing....or is she? I have no idea. I don't want to close if she is working but would like to close if she isn't. See my dilemma? She mentioned that grandpa was dropping kid off today as she has an appointment (not an interview). Every time she has an appointment she takes the day for herself. She has told me that before when she was working full time.

I don't know why I expect parents to want to hang out with their kids. Pick up early once in a while or take a day with your child and spend time with them if you aren't working.

I guess I should take it as a compliment that they prefer her to be with me than themselves.
Maybe the mom is being secretive about this because she's worried she'll be judged for sending her child to daycare even though she isnt working.

The way I see it....I sell a service. When people buy that service I do not dictate what they can and can't do with that service. As long as they hold up their end of the deal (pay, drop off and pick up on time) then it's good.

I wouldn't like it very much if Target told me I could only use the blue sofa throw I bought there last week on Tuesdays and Thursdays so I try not to do that to those clients that buy my services.

This plays a GINORMOUS role in the guilt level I have when closing or taking vacations, personal days or any other time off.

I have NONE. ZIP. NADA. Not a single shred of guilt.
Cat Herder 08:53 AM 02-12-2016
My other parent is also not working. She keeps the child home when he is sick and she takes days off with him here and there if there is something interesting going on that she wants to take him to. He is only here part time to boot!
The sad fact is not all kids were planned or even wanted. Some are completely enmeshed without a sense of self to fill a void/take care of a parents emotional needs. Neither situation is any better than the other. Not all parents parent the same way. Also, some shouldn't.

It really is easier on your soul to simply let go and stop keeping score. I am telling you this for YOU. Not them.
Play Care 09:07 AM 02-12-2016
Black Cat brings up a good point.

I find that when I close to take a personal day or due to illness, etc. That I am less likely to care what the parents are doing when I am working. It is easy to get resentful if you are not taking time for you and see them taking tons of "me" time ( and PAID me time, to boot) and you don't even feel like you can close when you are sick. That's why I get paid sick/personal days

If you don't feel well, close. Period. You will feel so much better, in more ways than one
Unregistered 09:26 AM 02-12-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Black Cat brings up a good point.

I find that when I close to take a personal day or due to illness, etc. That I am less likely to care what the parents are doing when I am working. It is easy to get resentful if you are not taking time for you and see them taking tons of "me" time ( and PAID me time, to boot) and you don't even feel like you can close when you are sick. That's why I get paid sick/personal days

If you don't feel well, close. Period. You will feel so much better, in more ways than one
I think you hit the nail on the head! I should have taken today off. I give myself only 5 sick days paid and I guess I am worried that I will need those days when I am SUPER sick. I usually wait until I have a stomach bug or something serious. I reallynhate navigating these murky waters where the parent is taking advantage.

The mom is also pregnant with baby number two and her child was definitely planned. It is more of a Princess attitude than anything else. I just find parents these days put themselves first and their kids last.

BlackCat she has no issues telling me about all of her days off when she was working or time away at hotels for weekends without her kid etc. I do agree though that she probably doesn't want to appear to be a bad parent which is the primary motivation for most parents these days. Anyway I am getting paid so I should just drop it.
Unregistered 09:46 AM 02-12-2016
Even though my children were thoroughly planned and wanted (lol what in the world!?) I use child care when I'm not working. I also take care of tons of other people's kids all the time, working or not. It has never once crossed my mind that the non-workers don't deserve child care. This is really bizarre to me.
Cat Herder 09:51 AM 02-12-2016
(lol what in the world!?)
If you don't understand that feel blessed. Mocking is a tad dramatic, though.

Look at some of the "Mandated Reporter" and "testifying in court" threads... It can be a rough career sometimes.
midaycare 10:19 AM 02-12-2016
This doesn't bother me. They are paying for the spot and I have a job. Win/Win.

I don't close when I'm sick. If I'm vomiting, my hubby will call in to his work and take over for me, or I take a loss for the day and pay my sub all of my profits for the day. Either situation isn't ideal so I work through illness.
Unregistered 10:25 AM 02-12-2016
Sorry but jumping to the conclusion that if people are using childcare when they don't work is probably just because they didn't plan or want their children is pretty wild. Do we really need to find some sort of statistics to prove that a huge majority using childcare while not working did plan for and do want their children!? It seems pretty obvious to me that the didn't plan/didn't want population is so miniscule that it needn't even be mentioned much less thought of as the main reason nonworking parents use child care.
Cat Herder 10:31 AM 02-12-2016
Sorry but jumping to the conclusion that if people are using childcare when they don't work is probably just because they didn't plan or want their children is pretty wild. Do we really need to find some sort of statistics to prove that a huge majority using childcare while not working did plan for and do want their children!? It seems pretty obvious to me that the didn't plan/didn't want population is so miniscule that it needn't even be mentioned much less thought of as the main reason nonworking parents use child care.
At no point did I state that. Not sure what you read....

My point was Mountain > Molehill .

Nothing more.

Carry on.
Unregistered 10:44 AM 02-12-2016
Even though my children were thoroughly planned and wanted (lol what in the world!?) I use child care when I'm not working. I also take care of tons of other people's kids all the time, working or not. It has never once crossed my mind that the non-workers don't deserve child care. This is really bizarre to me.
It's bizarre that people who have kids and aren't working should be taking care of their own children? Clearly we live in a messed up society.
kendallina 10:46 AM 02-12-2016
I absolutely find this annoying! I grit my teeth when I see a parent in their sweats in the morning and again at a 5pm pick up. I just can't stand it.

I admit it. It is my initial reaction to feel judgey of a parent like this, but I'm smarter than that. I realize that it serves no one for me to feel this way. I also know that I have no idea what's going on in someone's life.

I once had a very good friend who did this all the time and at first it annoyed me, but then when she started talking about how she had really bad postpartum depression with her daughter (who she was with every day until she went back to work at 18 months), I realized that I need to relax and realize that she's just doing what's best for her and her family. That really there is just too much judgement about what others do with their kids, but in reality we're all just trying to survive. By no means am I a perfect parent, I'm just trying to survive without damaging my kids too much and I suspect that's what everyone else is doing too.
Thriftylady 10:54 AM 02-12-2016
Originally Posted by kendallina:
I absolutely find this annoying! I grit my teeth when I see a parent in their sweats in the morning and again at a 5pm pick up. I just can't stand it.

I admit it. It is my initial reaction to feel judgey of a parent like this, but I'm smarter than that. I realize that it serves no one for me to feel this way. I also know that I have no idea what's going on in someone's life.

I once had a very good friend who did this all the time and at first it annoyed me, but then when she started talking about how she had really bad postpartum depression with her daughter (who she was with every day until she went back to work at 18 months), I realized that I need to relax and realize that she's just doing what's best for her and her family. That really there is just too much judgement about what others do with their kids, but in reality we're all just trying to survive. By no means am I a perfect parent, I'm just trying to survive without damaging my kids too much and I suspect that's what everyone else is doing too.
THIS! We never really know another person's situation, and a job loss is a stressful event. Maybe this parent is stressed to the point that they know it is better if they are not with their child all the time. Like I said sometimes I still feel like a parent could make my day a little easier, but this is my job. I think almost everyone wishes their job was a little easier or less stressful or whatever sometimes. Funny thing is, we all manage somehow to get through it.

I remember when I found out I was PG with DD 17. At the time, I was trying to dig myself out of my horribly abusive first marriage. I was sick and I think part of me knew I was PG, but I didn't want to believe it and I do have fertility issues so I guess I put my blinders on. I finally went to the doctor and got the news. My first thought was "OH NO, I simply cannot have a baby right now, I can't cope with this and I don't want to". Guess what? That passed fairly quickly and even though I allowed it to keep me in my marriage longer, by the time she was born she was my drive to make my life better. She still is. I went from not knowing how in the world I would deal with her, to her being the reason I kept breathing. Sometimes, we go through stuff and it that stuff is hard and we do/say/think things we never would otherwise. I hope if any of my DCPs are ever in a stressful situation where they just can't deal, they will at least know that for a few hours each day, their child is safe and loved with me.
MunchkinWrangler 10:55 AM 02-12-2016
I think you hit the nail on the head! I should have taken today off. I give myself only 5 sick days paid and I guess I am worried that I will need those days when I am SUPER sick. I usually wait until I have a stomach bug or something serious. I reallynhate navigating these murky waters where the parent is taking advantage.

The mom is also pregnant with baby number two and her child was definitely planned. It is more of a Princess attitude than anything else. I just find parents these days put themselves first and their kids last.

BlackCat she has no issues telling me about all of her days off when she was working or time away at hotels for weekends without her kid etc. I do agree though that she probably doesn't want to appear to be a bad parent which is the primary motivation for most parents these days. Anyway I am getting paid so I should just drop it.
You feel trapped by your job. It's understandable, but never compare anyone else to you. When you do that, then you become obsessed with feeling like you don't have freedom, when in fact you do. Sometimes you wake up feeling ill and don't know how bad you feel until the kids are there. And, you start feeling like you should have closed but now what? Honestly, you do have the power to call the parents and say, hey, I'm really under the weather, you need to pick up and leave it at that. Don't feel guilty, don't feel mad. It's okay. I think that's where you're resentment is coming from. Hope your feel better soon!
MunchkinWrangler 10:55 AM 02-12-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
At no point did I state that. Not sure what you read....

My point was Mountain > Molehill .

Nothing more.

Carry on.

Cat Herder 11:12 AM 02-12-2016
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler:
Thank you! That seriously had me worried that I had lost the ability to communicate.

My bet is when Mom lost her job she realized she also lost her social group, too. It happens a lot. Our co-workers become our friends. It is a type of mourning nobody seems to recognize.

Maybe she just needed to listen to REM, eat a bag of cheetos and cry for a bit. I know I did when I left my former career. I still miss it.

Empathy. Perspective.
Rockgirl 11:48 AM 02-12-2016
Nope.

As long as they pay me on time, their contract is in full effect.
Same here! If I can reach a parent in case of emergency, I don't give the slightest thought to what they are doing during the day. My job remains the same: to care for their child.
Unregistered 12:30 PM 02-12-2016
Thank you! That seriously had me worried that I had lost the ability to communicate.

My bet is when Mom lost her job she realized she also lost her social group, too. It happens a lot. Our co-workers become our friends. It is a type of mourning nobody seems to recognize.

Maybe she just needed to listen to REM, eat a bag of cheetos and cry for a bit. I know I did when I left my former career. I still miss it.

Empathy. Perspective.
This was actually not a permanent job but a placement/contract so she knew it was going to end but just never told me upfront....or ever.

I think you all give people too much benefit of the doubt. My guess is when the money runs out she'll be taken from my care and given to grandma.
Rockgirl 12:44 PM 02-12-2016
This was actually not a permanent job but a placement/contract so she knew it was going to end but just never told me upfront....or ever.

I think you all give people too much benefit of the doubt. My guess is when the money runs out she'll be taken from my care and given to grandma.
Do you have a policy about children only being present when both parents are working? If not, dcm probably assumes she is free to use the spot she is paying for.

As far as us giving people the benefit of the doubt, it's a non-issue for many of us....we don't care if parents are working, playing, shopping, etc. Pay on time, pick up on time, follow my policies, and you're good here!

The great thing is, we each get to choose how to run our own daycares, so if it's a deal-breaker for a parent not working to drop off their child, write it into your contract, and enforce it.
Thriftylady 01:12 PM 02-12-2016
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
Do you have a policy about children only being present when both parents are working? If not, dcm probably assumes she is free to use the spot she is paying for.

As far as us giving people the benefit of the doubt, it's a non-issue for many of us....we don't care if parents are working, playing, shopping, etc. Pay on time, pick up on time, follow my policies, and you're good here!

The great thing is, we each get to choose how to run our own daycares, so if it's a deal-breaker for a parent not working to drop off their child, write it into your contract, and enforce it.
This. The only time I really have an issue with it is when it is evening/nighttime hours. I do offer those for my nurse mom when she gets held over because someone calls in. During the daytime hours, I am available for whatever but she knows after 6PM, it is for work only.
Blackcat31 01:20 PM 02-12-2016
Just in case, I want to point out that the unregistered posters are not all the OP.

There is more than one unregistered poster posting.
Play Care 03:01 PM 02-12-2016

I DO think we have a valid to know that the employment our clients have is steady, long term employment. Because you're right that contract work, per diem, etc can be too unstable for our little day cares. I think it was Nanny De who had something abotu having to know the parents job and how many years employed, etc.
But that's different, IMO, than caring about them being off a day here and there and still sending the kid. If you think she's going to pull, start interviewing to replace.
MunchkinWrangler 06:39 PM 02-12-2016

Empathy. Perspective.
Absolutely! I think sometimes, as it has been brought up in other threads, we are too quick to judge each other when it comes to parenting. As long as I'm not losing a paying client, I'm secure in the fact that maybe Mom is sitting on her tuckus. It used to upset me but not anymore, Mom's not sitting at home thinking about it so why should I waste my energy and building resentment for someone who pays me good money to do what I said I was going to do. Watch their child.
MunchkinWrangler 06:45 PM 02-12-2016

Why does it make you angry though? I honestly wouldn't want everybody knowing every personal detail of my life and your families are allowed theirs. As long as it's not hurting your income or if your afraid they'll leave you, which you should have a term arrangement that gives you time to fill the spot, why stress? You are only building resentment and causing yourself stress over something that is truly out of your control.

You can't and shouldn't force a family to give you information if it doesn't affect their enrollment/you income.

Just a thought. I've been there but I realized that it wasn't doing me any good to waste energy or time thinking about what they're doing. I'm sure they're not doing it to be bad to you or punish you in any way, they're just using the services they are paying for.
Unregistered 11:08 AM 02-13-2016
Just out of curiosity if this mom did what is in your mind the "right thing" and kept the child home with her, you wouldn't charge her for care that day, right? Right?

Yeah......
Unregistered 11:55 AM 02-13-2016
Just out of curiosity if this mom did what is in your mind the "right thing" and kept the child home with her, you wouldn't charge her for care that day, right? Right?

Yeah......
If this mom came to me and said "I just lost my job and I am wanting to spend time with my child, can I drop down to 3 days a week?" I would definitely do that and have done that. I know not everyone is able. The thing is I know she would drop down to 3 days a week and then the other 2 days she'd be with someone free..not the parent. This also happened to me. The fake premise being that the mom wanted to "spend time with her kids". Pure b.s.
mommyneedsadayoff 12:06 PM 02-13-2016

Yeah......
I did that for my dcm who was laid off. She asked if she could do 3 days a week for the next few weeks or until she found a job and I agreed. It gave her two days a week to look for a job or do interviews, and three days to spend with her daughter.
Unregistered 01:23 PM 02-13-2016
Well then I ASSumed wrong. My apologies.
Crystal 02:00 PM 02-13-2016
Well then I ASSumed wrong. My apologies.
Did you just call yourself an....never mind
LysesKids 03:52 PM 02-13-2016

That could be true, but I have had perfectly great working families just up & quit with 2 weeks notice when a gramma came to live with them too... I also just terminated a family on the spot when DAD threatened me & the childcare (in front of kids) - Your parent still paying, so who cares what she is doing unless you don't have a # to reach her (like a cell).

I know when I lost my job once (before childcare became my career); I did everything I could to keep my spots; it also kept my babies on a routine of semi normal... didn't have interviews 24/7, but it was nice to know if a call came for a one day Temp job from 8-4 that I could take it, or maybe I got a "be here in 2 hrs" type interview - easier to get dressed in a hurry without worrying about finding Drop in care last minute

You plan for the unexpected & sock away an extra 5-10 weekly in an envelope until you have a months pay then when she up & goes you still have a little cushion while you advertise. In this line of work the unexpected happens more than you know
childcaremom 12:41 AM 02-14-2016
Do you ever term for non working parent that brings their child anyway?

I have a situation where mom was working fulltime but has gotten laid off. She didn't mention any of this to me and then dad accidentally let it slip that mom was going for interviews for a new job. I didn't pry as it is none of my business but mom has been coming recently looking like she has been home all day doing nothing! She brings the kid every single day even when the child is sick (not enough to be excluded but still not well) and she picks up at the same time she always did.

I am not sure why but this is annoying me to no end. I am sick now, my daycare kids have gotten sick and this lady is sitting at home doing nothing?
This stuck out to me.

If you feel awful, just close. Dcps will figure it out. Take care and get yourself better and the rest of issues will fade away.
lovemykidstoo 12:25 PM 02-14-2016
I have a dcd that just lost his job, so a 5 day a week child is now a 1 day a week child and I'm out alot of money praying that he goes back to work soon. I would LOVE For him to come every day while dad is looking for a job. Who cares what they do after they drop their child off. We get paid no matter what they do, that's what's important. The deal about parents not spending time with their child only goes so far too. It's quality, not quanity. I also have a dcm right now that has 2 boys with me 3 days a week and she just had a 3rd baby. The boys have come during her maternity leave just as they always have. I am thankful that they do because of hte income.
Ariana 02:36 PM 02-15-2016
I just had a situation where mom who is a teacher told me she was going to bring her child during March break "if she had to pay for it anyway". Basically money and "getting your moneys worth" is more important than spending time with her kid! It is definitely a head scratcher considering I am one of the only providers who do not charge for my vacation.

Meanwhile I am going to close that week, lose a weeks worth of income so I can spend time with MY children alone without DCK's. Money should never come before children but some parents just don't get it.
DanceMom 04:51 PM 02-15-2016
I have a current laid off parent - has been for months. It doesn't bother me they still being everyday but it Does bother me they they are the first to arrive and last to pick up...
They are getting their monies worth...which is also annoying because NO money is worth the time with your child. Then they want to complain that they miss their kids and they are growing too fast blah blah blah...
Blackcat31 05:59 AM 02-16-2016
Originally Posted by DanceMom:
I have a current laid off parent - has been for months. It doesn't bother me they still being everyday but it Does bother me they they are the first to arrive and last to pick up...
They are getting their monies worth...which is also annoying because NO money is worth the time with your child. Then they want to complain that they miss their kids and they are growing too fast blah blah blah...
This is where charging on contracted hours comes in handy.

I have a family that likes to use as much daycare as they can squeeze into a week.

I can't force them to spend face time with their kid but if they are going to have me do it, then they are definitely going to pay more than other families.
My3cents 11:17 AM 02-17-2016
I don't want my parents looking at me as a babysitter. I am a provider. I provide care for when you are working or in school. If you need a personal day please let me know ahead of time. I strongly believe that children should be with parents when possible. I also believe everyone needs a break from time to time. I want to know where the parent is in the case of emergency. I don't care what they are doing, but level with me and have a respect for my time. I have all of this in my contract. I don't want to be watching children that the parents just don't want to care for and be with. I don't want that type of clientele. I don't want to be waiting for a child to be picked up at five when the parent has been home all day and all my other children have left early or earlier. I work long hard hours and I don't want to burn out. I try to find a balance. My time counts too. We are all business owners and how we run our business it up to us. What we believe in, what we want etc...

If I were you I would be calling this parent and say look.....I am a bit under the weather today would you mind coming to get the kiddo early today. I would also ask for good communication and a need to know.

When I do an interview....I make all of this known several times. I don't have parents that take advantage of me. I agree with BlackCat, if you make things clear and known then when you need time off or a need to use those days there is no issues to take them.

It is about working together. With out the parent working, I would have no job. With out me the parent would not be able to work.

I am flexible to the needs, true needs. Not to the lazy parent that just doesn't want to care for their own child. I have seen this side of things and it is not what I want to deal with.

Have a clear contract!

Best-
My3cents
Unregistered 08:14 AM 02-19-2016
Maybe I'm just the odd man out, but I don't see why it matters?

I mean, I get that you want the mother to spend time with her child. It's perfectly understandable, however it shouldn't impact you in any way. As long as she is following your contact, paying on time, and being a good parent over all, you don't really have anything valid to be upset about.

We all need breaks and it definitely sounds like you need one. But you don't know what she is doing while dck is in your care. You don't know anything about how or what she's thinking, and frankly it's none of your business.

Your job is to take care of children. You can't just put up stipulations like "parent must be employed" or "parent must spend a minimum of blank hours with child in order to be eligible."

You care, and that's great, but just do your job. :/
Blackcat31 09:23 AM 02-19-2016
Maybe I'm just the odd man out, but I don't see why it matters?

I mean, I get that you want the mother to spend time with her child. It's perfectly understandable, however it shouldn't impact you in any way. As long as she is following your contact, paying on time, and being a good parent over all, you don't really have anything valid to be upset about.

We all need breaks and it definitely sounds like you need one. But you don't know what she is doing while dck is in your care. You don't know anything about how or what she's thinking, and frankly it's none of your business.

Your job is to take care of children. You can't just put up stipulations like "parent must be employed" or "parent must spend a minimum of blank hours with child in order to be eligible."

You care, and that's great, but just do your job. :/
Many others in this thread said they did not care what parents do when using their services so you are not the odd man out.

But your ending comments are false, as a self-employed business owner I CAN (and many do) state that care/services will ONLY be provided if the parent is working.

As a self-employed business owner, I can put up any stipulations I'd like (within the law) and choose to have whatever rules I want to have. Parents get to choose if they can or can't abide by MY stipulations.

Parents do not define "my job" and what it entails.
I do.

If a parent wants to dump their kid and get tons of "me time", they are certainly welcome to do so as individual parenting style is a choice too but the child care provider doesn't have to just turn a blind eye and do "her job"....she/he gets to choose whether or not she will provide services to a family and for what reason.
MarinaVanessa 09:44 AM 02-19-2016
An easy way to have parents keep their kids home with them when they are not working or at school is to charge for days/hours that they use only. Clients of providers that pay for the week no matter if their child attends or not will want to get their money's worth and I'll admit it, so would I. I wouldn't like being charged for a service that I wasn't able to use. Before I did daycare I had a provider that charged weekly and I didn't like paying for days that I was off so I switched (among other reasons) to a provider that only charged me for the days I needed to use. I didn't take my daughter to daycare on days that I didn't work.

I think here what's bizarre is that many of us here like me, wouldn't think of leaving our kids with someone else unless we couldn't physically have them with us because we know that they are our kids and therefore our responsibility. Kids aren't easy and if we'd had wanted easy we wouldn't have chosen to have kids. But there is also a significant number of parents out there that don't think that way and like easy and have no problem taking their kids to daycare on weekdays whether they work or not on a regular basis and then to grandmas house on weekends etc. That's what bizarre and I think that's what leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth BUT not much we can do about how other people parent and if we let it .. it'll stress us out.

Not all parents are great parents

Unregistered 10:02 AM 02-19-2016
At one time I considered changing my business name to T's Child Care For Working Parents.
Instead I changed to contracted hours. Note: if no $$ are attached to your contracted hours, parents just ignore them and come whenever they want (dropoff and pickup). Totally sold it as "take control of your care costs."

In the horse and buggy days I expected parents to tell me if they were not at work, in case of emergency. But now I rarely call a work # b/c most prefer to be called on their cell.
Tags:non-working parents, unemployed
Reply Up