Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCG Just Won't Eat
Breezy 12:53 PM 05-23-2012
I am getting increasingly frustrated with DCGs eating habits as the days go on. She is almost 11 months old but born early so the size of a 6 month old. She wants nothing to do with food. She has had only one bottle since getting here today andit was 4 ounces. She also ate some cherrios but any other jar baby food I give her she spits out and is now due for another bottle and she wont eat it.

I can never get her to take more than 1 ounce at a time. So frustrating!
sharlan 01:38 PM 05-23-2012
How well does she eat at home?
Breezy 01:44 PM 05-23-2012
Mom says she does fine. Dad says she gets really distracted and isnt interested in it anymore.
sharlan 02:00 PM 05-23-2012
Will she eat tiny bites of regular food?
countrymom 02:08 PM 05-23-2012
do you have rice cereal. I found that if they didn't like their food they would eat rice cereal. also do they warm her bottle.
cheerfuldom 02:37 PM 05-23-2012
Is this every day? If so, you need to know EXACTLY how mom gets her to eat at home. What time? What amount? spoon feeding or self feeding? What foods? How long does it take? If mom cant give you clear instructions on what works, then you know that the "she does fine" is just words and not the truth.

Its up to you then, if you just let her do her thing at daycare or you insist on further actions, like a doctors visit or something
Breezy 02:43 PM 05-23-2012
Mom brings her food every day so it is usually jarred food, cheerios, vanilla waffers, and puffs. Today she had yogurt finally. I let dad know at pick up she barely ate again. Mom says there has to be zero distracrions at home to get her to eat. She doesnt seem hungry though after the one or tqo ounces and dew bites of food!
KBCsMommy 03:08 PM 05-23-2012
Find out exactly how dcm makes the bottles and exactly how she feeds it to her. How are they feeding her foods, is dcd or dcm getting frustrated feeding her?? These are all questions I would ask them.

I had a new dcb 8 months who didn't eat for a week here, dcm finally told me she had never held him to eat and he was propped in his pack and play in front of the tv to eat!!
She also fed him baby food in a syringe!!

After a month he finally started drinking a bottle here, and he would let me spoon feed him a little bit.

I started having him eat more finger foods that he could feed him self and that has worked wonders. Now hes turning a year and I've introduced him to a sippy cup so we will see how that goes!!

Good Luck!!
cheerfuldom 03:31 PM 05-23-2012
Originally Posted by KBCsMommy:
Find out exactly how dcm makes the bottles and exactly how she feeds it to her. How are they feeding her foods, is dcd or dcm getting frustrated feeding her?? These are all questions I would ask them.

I had a new dcb 8 months who didn't eat for a week here, dcm finally told me she had never held him to eat and he was propped in his pack and play in front of the tv to eat!!
She also fed him baby food in a syringe!!

After a month he finally started drinking a bottle here, and he would let me spoon feed him a little bit.

I started having him eat more finger foods that he could feed him self and that has worked wonders. Now hes turning a year and I've introduced him to a sippy cup so we will see how that goes!!

Good Luck!!
you see OP? specific questions to the parents are very enlightening. this is very likely a problem that is at home and that parents are not being truthful about. I really think that is the case since mom says everything is fine but dad admits there are some issues. Red flag!
Heidi 07:05 PM 05-23-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
you see OP? specific questions to the parents are very enlightening. this is very likely a problem that is at home and that parents are not being truthful about. I really think that is the case since mom says everything is fine but dad admits there are some issues. Red flag!
yep! red flag!

You need to more or less force mom to be VERY specific. If you don't, then you'll muddle through this, and 3 months from now, you'll have another situation, and again you'll get 2 different answers, and so on...

The mom I just termed had a head-in-the-sand coping strategy, and after a year, I couldn't do it anymore.

You can't spend hours on end every day undoing something that happens at home, not even knowing what exactly IS happening at home....
countrymom 07:20 PM 05-23-2012
no distractions, are you kidding me???? so what do they do, turn the tv off the phone is off, everyone sits still till she is done. Good luck!
Breezy 07:57 PM 05-23-2012
They use the premix formula for preemies and mom brings jarred baby food and spoons and all snack type things. The only thing they really do to help her eat is make sure she is not distracted. Which is fine here when others are napping but that is usually not the case!
countrymom 05:49 AM 05-24-2012
I think its time that she gets off of the preemie formula and onto older stuff. To me, it sounds likes they want to keep her in the "baby stage" I bet you I'm right. Also, does she sit on thier laps when they feed her. Check the nipple too, heck start switching her over to a sippy cup.
Breezy 06:07 AM 05-24-2012
She sits in the bumbo to eat still. They have kind of started with sippy cups but DCG can still only feed herself her bottle for a few seconds and doesnt understand them. she then gets upset and wiggles out of my arms or tries to roll because she doesnt want to eat.

She frequently wakes at 3am for the day and mom will come at 7 with DCG in jammies still saying that she didnt want to eat but is hungry now.... She will take an ounce and be done!
countrymom 07:44 AM 05-24-2012
sounds like the problem starts at home. I'm mean, so I would put her in a highchair offer her the food, is she eats then fine, if not well you offered. Sometimes there is nothing you can do till the parents get a schedual that works. When she is hungry she will eat. don't worry she won't starve, just make sure you document and you write down what the parents say when you tell them. also, she needs to have a bottle before she comes to your house. gently mention to mom that she needs to feed her before she comes to you, then she won't be so hungry.
Heidi 01:43 PM 05-24-2012
I would also move her on to a high chair and finger foods. If she eats, fine, if not, that's ok to. Put small amounts in front of her at a time, keep the rest set aside nearby but out of reach.

Could you try and open cup with a teeny bit of formula in it? It may be easier if she sees the liquid coming out.

In a month, you'll want to transition from bottles anyway. That preemie formula probably tastes like kacky poop! But, if she's under weight and size, the doc will probably not want her changed over to cow's milk yet, even at a year.
daycare 01:52 PM 05-24-2012
I have a child with severe eathing issues....We have finally come down to what the real problem is and it is mom and dad...

I finally demanded a meeting. I was sick of the screaming and so was the other DCKs. We all dreaded meal times.

I found out that mom and dad would chase DCK around the house feeding him pure crap. He refused to sit in the high chair or table. If he didnt eat the food they tried to give him, they let him eat cookies and candies.

I found out all of this at the meeting. So I told th parents that I needed time to think of a good plan, because something had to change or I could not do it any more. Especially when it not only affected the kids during meal times, but when the kid did not eat of course he was in a horrible mood all day that we all paid for that too.

So I drew up a plan of action that I required the parents to sign. I told them that they needed to stop what they were doing at home NOW. I would give it 30 days and no longer. I told them that I would check back in with them weekly about the progress or if there were problems I would let them know. here is the kicker. In the agreement, I stated that after the first week if DCB is still refusing to eat and causing issues at meal times, that I would call the parents to cme and pick him up. They realized that they created this issue and that I was not going to allow for it to become my problem.

Also, the parents took DCB to the doctors, did all kinds of stuff too....But nothing was wrong with the DCB other than some misguided parenting.

Well I did call the parents to pick up DCB two times a few weeks ago. Magically the next week it stopped. Not completely, but it was 85% better.
countrymom 06:21 AM 05-25-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have a child with severe eathing issues....We have finally come down to what the real problem is and it is mom and dad...

I finally demanded a meeting. I was sick of the screaming and so was the other DCKs. We all dreaded meal times.

I found out that mom and dad would chase DCK around the house feeding him pure crap. He refused to sit in the high chair or table. If he didnt eat the food they tried to give him, they let him eat cookies and candies.

I found out all of this at the meeting. So I told th parents that I needed time to think of a good plan, because something had to change or I could not do it any more. Especially when it not only affected the kids during meal times, but when the kid did not eat of course he was in a horrible mood all day that we all paid for that too.

So I drew up a plan of action that I required the parents to sign. I told them that they needed to stop what they were doing at home NOW. I would give it 30 days and no longer. I told them that I would check back in with them weekly about the progress or if there were problems I would let them know. here is the kicker. In the agreement, I stated that after the first week if DCB is still refusing to eat and causing issues at meal times, that I would call the parents to cme and pick him up. They realized that they created this issue and that I was not going to allow for it to become my problem.

Also, the parents took DCB to the doctors, did all kinds of stuff too....But nothing was wrong with the DCB other than some misguided parenting.

Well I did call the parents to pick up DCB two times a few weeks ago. Magically the next week it stopped. Not completely, but it was 85% better.
so the truth finally came out. I knew it! to be a fly on their wall at dinner time would be so great. But I'm glad its starting to work for you.
Willow 07:07 AM 05-25-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
She is almost 11 months old but born early so the size of a 6 month old.
How prematurely was she born?

How long did she stay and when did she finally leave the NICU?

What does her growth chart say? What does her growth chart indicate about where she's at?

What does her pediatrician say about how she's doing for her corrected age?

What does her pediatrician say her corrected age actually is?

If at 11 months she's only the size of a 6 month old I would assume she was born extremely prematurely and probably suffered some significant medical issues as a result. She absolutely should NOT be eating solids at this point unless under the advisement of a doctor (to the point that I'd demand a signed doctors note outlining what's ok to start when and how, as well as a dietary statement outlining those specifications if you're on a food program) and no, she shouldn't be expected to be starting or using a sippy cup any time soon. I also wouldn't be switching her formula from preemie to regular without that doctors consent. She likely need need needs those mondo calories and will for the foreseeable future.

If that assumption is incorrect and she was only born say a month or two prematurely I'd push and push hard some medical intervention here. Malformations of her mouth and esophagus could be making eating uncomfortable, painful or even near impossible, her suck/swallow reflex could be compromised and her tongue thrust reflex might still be intact yet for quite some time which would make starting any solids pointless. Could also be something as simple as reflux, or as serious as failure to thrive at play here.

I would not be pushing a premie to eat any dairy (yogurt) this early on unless that was advised by her doc (their GI systems are about the last thing to catch up and many cannot handle digesting dairy until well into toddlerhood). I'd also cut out the vanilla wafers. Sugary cookies for an infant born prematurely and measuring that small is ridiculous. Might be a part of why she can't sit still and even take bottles, the empty calories are filling her up and the sugar is making her fractious. Add to that an immature nervous system and it's no wonder she can't eat for beans.

Do you have early childhood interventionists in your area that you could refer them to in addition to clarifying details with the doctor to help get them on the right track?
Breezy 08:08 AM 05-25-2012
[quote=Willow;232421]How prematurely was she born?

What does her growth chart say? What does her growth chart indicate about where she's at?

If at 11 months she's only the size of a 6 month old I would assume she was born extremely prematurely and probably suffered some significant medical issues as a result. She absolutely should NOT be eating solids at this point unless under the advisement of a doctor (to the point that I'd demand a signed doctors note outlining what's ok to start when and how, as well as a dietary statement outlining those specifications if you're on a food program) and no, she shouldn't be expected to be starting or using a sippy cup any time soon. I also wouldn't be switching her formula from preemie to regular without that doctors consent. She likely need need needs those mondo calories and will for the foreseeable future.

If that assumption is incorrect and she was only born say a month or two prematurely I'd push and push hard some medical intervention here. Malformations of her mouth and esophagus could be making eating uncomfortable, painful or even near impossible, her suck/swallow reflex could be compromised and her tongue thrust reflex might still be intact yet for quite some time which would make starting any solids pointless. Could also be something as simple as reflux, or as serious as failure to thrive at play here.

I would not be pushing a premie to eat any dairy (yogurt) this early on unless that was advised by her doc (their GI systems are about the last thing to catch up and many cannot handle digesting dairy until well into toddlerhood). I'd also cut out the vanilla wafers. Sugary cookies for an infant born prematurely and measuring that small is ridiculous. Might be a part of why she can't sit still and even take bottles, the empty calories are filling her up and the sugar is making her fractious. Add to that an immature nervous system and it's no wonder she can't eat for beans.

Do you have early childhood interventionists in your area that you could refer them to in addition to clarifying details with the doctor to help get them on the right track?[/QUOT
E]

I will respond to all this in a little bit when I get to the computer!! Thank you!
Breezy 02:46 PM 05-25-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:

Do you have early childhood interventionists in your area that you could refer them to in addition to clarifying details with the doctor to help get them on the right track?
Ok, so DCG was born at 28 weeks- so 12 weeks early.

All I know from her last well baby check is the doctor said she needs to be eating more finger type foods.

Typically, she has yogurt, honey nut cheerios, puffs, goldfish, and vanilla waffers for finger foods that mom brings every day. I have only ever given her the cheerios.

For lunch she has baby food in jars- banana, sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin apple, etc.

And then of course her main source of food should be the formula which is preemie forumla. Mom mixes the formula with prunes and cereal a lot in the mornings which I am very hesitant feeding her.

She is in 6 month clothes and most of them are a little large on her even. She can crawl, pull up on things, sit up on her own now. Probably will be walking soon. She has very low muscle tone so she feels very fragile and not like a normal "squishy" kid.
countrymom 05:00 PM 05-26-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
Ok, so DCG was born at 28 weeks- so 12 weeks early.

All I know from her last well baby check is the doctor said she needs to be eating more finger type foods.

Typically, she has yogurt, honey nut cheerios, puffs, goldfish, and vanilla waffers for finger foods that mom brings every day. I have only ever given her the cheerios.

For lunch she has baby food in jars- banana, sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin apple, etc.

And then of course her main source of food should be the formula which is preemie forumla. Mom mixes the formula with prunes and cereal a lot in the mornings which I am very hesitant feeding her.

She is in 6 month clothes and most of them are a little large on her even. She can crawl, pull up on things, sit up on her own now. Probably will be walking soon. She has very low muscle tone so she feels very fragile and not like a normal "squishy" kid.
are mom and dad short or thin. I have a girl like this. She is 16months old and can fit into 12months clothes even some 9 months stuff. She's just small for her age. She eats like a horse, but is so tiny.
Breezy 06:06 PM 05-26-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
are mom and dad short or thin. I have a girl like this. She is 16months old and can fit into 12months clothes even some 9 months stuff. She's just small for her age. She eats like a horse, but is so tiny.
Mom is pretty tall and probably pushing 350+ pounds. Dad is heavy too and tall
Countrygal 05:06 AM 05-27-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:

This is exactly what I was thinking. I was under the impression a preemie's age is usually calculated from the day they WOULD HAVE BEEN born. If this preemie is, say two or three months early - well...... And they are usually behind even that age. It is a struggle to grow up where you are not supposed to.

Have you contacted your local birth to 3 program - just to ask them a few questions? Then I'd have mom and dad contact them for referral if you think it would help. I'd be willing to bet that most of the problems come from her being a preemie, possibly exacerbated by mom and dad wanting to "protect" her. I have been very favorably impressed (as much as I dislike social services of any kind) with the B-3 program here. I think they could help you AND the parents.
Tags:eating issues, rice cereal, won't eat
Reply Up