Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Child Who Won't Eat Anything
Baby Beluga 12:41 PM 08-26-2015
I have a DCG who is on her 6th week here. She only attends two days per week.

At home mom and dad put a plate of food out and she grazes when she wants to eat, therefore when she is here she refuses to eat anything. Not one bite from 7am - 4:00pm. Is this something you would send home for? This little one is having a hard time adjusting anyway and I am 98% positive it would be better if she wasn't so hungry.
Leigh 12:52 PM 08-26-2015
I wouldn't send home. Just keep offering healthy options at the usual times. I have had 2 of those kids at daycare, and had foster kids, too, who refused to eat. If they're hungry enough, they'll eat. All of those kids eventually "reformed" and started eating at mealtimes, and eating what was offered.
littletots 12:54 PM 08-26-2015
I wouldn't adjust meals, meal times, family style services. You gave dcp feedback on your observations. She'll adjust. My dd would go to party, event, outing and not eat. We'd leave and she would be super hungry. I say it's part of transition. I'm betting it will change soon. Just keep modeling the behavior.
BabyMonkeys 03:10 PM 08-26-2015
I'm like that. I have been my whole life. It's weird. If I'm somewhere that is new, or there is a lot of noise, I can't eat. I'm an only child from a quiet house, my husband has a huge family and they are LOUD. 20 years together and I still can't eat around them. She may get used to you and start eating, or she may be good and hungry when she gets home. She'll be ok

Would you consider letting her have her lunch/snack someplace quiet away from the group? She might be more comfortable eating, which would make her temperament better too. Just a thought How old is she?
Controlled Chaos 03:34 PM 08-26-2015
Originally Posted by angelw2babies:
I'm like that. I have been my whole life. It's weird. If I'm somewhere that is new, or there is a lot of noise, I can't eat. I'm an only child from a quiet house, my husband has a huge family and they are LOUD. 20 years together and I still can't eat around them. She may get used to you and start eating, or she may be good and hungry when she gets home. She'll be ok

Would you consider letting her have her lunch/snack someplace quiet away from the group? She might be more comfortable eating, which would make her temperament better too. Just a thought How old is she?
People from quiet families are so different and strange Just kidding - my family is crazy big/loud. I feel crazy awkward with my husbands quiet family. I feel like a bull in a china shop

to your suggestion.
Baby Beluga 09:14 PM 08-26-2015
Originally Posted by angelw2babies:

In a way this already happens. I have a group of 5, and we all eat together - same time and same food. When the other children are finished they are cleaned up and read books in the playroom while I clean up from lunch. I have been letting her sit in her chair while the others read (just her and I in the kitchen) and she still won't eat. She just sits there. Doesn't even touch her food.

She is 19 months and is severely lacking in self help skills. However I do know she can feed herself.

I have had children who have been picky eaters but never have had a child who would go so long without one bite of food. I have been very honest with mom/dad about it and they don't seem concerned but I just know she would feel better if she weren't so hungry. At least I know I would...
Sunshine74 09:21 PM 08-26-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I have a DCG who is on her 6th week here. She only attends two days per week.

At home mom and dad put a plate of food out and she grazes when she wants to eat, therefore when she is here she refuses to eat anything. Not one bite from 7am - 4:00pm. Is this something you would send home for? This little one is having a hard time adjusting anyway and I am 98% positive it would be better if she wasn't so hungry.
I have an almost 3yo dcb who is the same. Also part time. The only thing he will eat is fruit once in awhile, and any kind of cracker (which we don't have often). My worry with him is that he also refuses drinks most of the time.
nannyde 10:26 AM 08-27-2015
I wouldn't send her home. Just offer the food. If she doesn't want it then she sits or goes to play or bed. I would just tell Mom what she is offered and refused. No more discussion thanthat. At two days a week she may never eat a bite in your home.

She could be breastfed and just want that. She may sleep all night breastfeeding all night and not be hungry. She may eat a full treat diet at home and just hold out for treats. She may have pureed or near liquid food spoon fed to her.

She could be "grazing" as the mom states and have the grazing be treat grazing. It's hard to say.

The only thing you need to do is offer and QUICKLY report what she was offered and her refusal. I wouldn't counsel the parents about it or enlist their help to solve it. At her age she should be able to self feed a healthy home made meal at meal time. Anything short of that is her family issue. It has nothing to do with daycare.
renodeb 11:49 AM 08-27-2015
I have had a lot of grazers through here and they have all adjusted. There are a lot of theories that could apply here but I have noticed that kids who "drink there meals" don't eat as well because there getting empty calories from all the milk or juice there drinking at home. Parents really do just do whatever the easiest thing is, that's why it's important to have a good routine at dc. After all it already feels like one continuous meal anyways. I would just give it time. She will not starve to death.
Baby Beluga 01:25 PM 08-27-2015
Thanks everyone! This was one of this situations where it was a bit gray to me.
Hunni Bee 08:27 AM 08-30-2015
I had a five year old who lived this entire school year off of water and the errant banana or chicken nugget when they were served. His diet at home was entirely composed of packaged snacks, pizza and Chik-Fil-A, and it was nothing to him to just hold out til home. He would try things, but usually not eat them.

He just talked to his friends at lunch. No biggie for anyone.
Tags:won't eat
Reply Up