Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training, How to Respond to This?
Baby Beluga 07:53 AM 09-06-2018
DCB (turns 3 in November) is no where near being potty trained. I have built in bathroom breaks every 1.5 - 2 hours (although we usually are closer to 1.5 hours). Almost every break DCB is soaked.

Our first bathroom break is at 7:45pm. DCB arrives at 6:50am this morning. Mom says: "He just drank a ton of milk and is dry so it might be worth having him try to use the bathroom before washing hands." I didn't say anything. TBH, it annoyed me. This is an extremely busy time in my morning. DCB is contracted to arrive at 6:30am. No one else arrives until 7:30am - 8am. This family has been with me forever and DCB is good about doing an activity while I do morning work until the next DCK arrives so I have continued to allow their contracted 6:30am arrival. However, I will not add in extra bathroom breaks for this child because he refuses to be trained.

If this is brought up again, what is a professional, polite, yet firm way to respond to this?

FWIW: DCB never tells me when he needs to use the restroom. At home he runs naked and according to mom uses the bathroom at home, on his own, when he is naked.
Blackcat31 08:01 AM 09-06-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
DCB (turns 3 in November) is no where near being potty trained. I have built in bathroom breaks every 1.5 - 2 hours (although we usually are closer to 1.5 hours). Almost every break DCB is soaked.

Our first bathroom break is at 7:45pm. DCB arrives at 6:50am this morning. Mom says: "He just drank a ton of milk and is dry so it might be worth having him try to use the bathroom before washing hands." I didn't say anything. TBH, it annoyed me. This is an extremely busy time in my morning. DCB is contracted to arrive at 6:30am. No one else arrives until 7:30am - 8am. This family has been with me forever and DCB is good about doing an activity while I do morning work until the next DCK arrives so I have continued to allow their contracted 6:30am arrival. However, I will not add in extra bathroom breaks for this child because he refuses to be trained.

If this is brought up again, what is a professional, polite, yet firm way to respond to this?

FWIW: DCB never tells me when he needs to use the restroom. At home he runs naked and according to mom uses the bathroom at home, on his own, when he is naked.
DCM: "He just drank a ton of milk and is dry so it might be worth having him try to use the bathroom before washing hands."

Provider: "DCB is always welcome to use the bathroom anytime he needs to go."

DCM "He might need reminders or additional opportunities to go"

Provider "DCB is always welcome to use the bathroom anytime he needs to go."

DCM: "You might need to have him go every 30 minutes instead of your regular scheduled breaks"

Provider "DCB is always welcome to use the bathroom anytime he needs to go."

Basically, I just continue stating over and over that the bathroom is always "OPEN" and any child that needs to use the bathroom outside of our scheduled bathroom breaks knows where the bathroom is and how to get there.

If a DCK requires more than that ^^^ then they are NOT trained. Part of the training process of recognizing and knowing you need to go BEFORE someone places you on the toilet.
Baby Beluga 08:19 AM 09-06-2018
Perfect, as always, BC Thank you!

My HB has an entire page dedicated to PT'ing. It specifically states that I have built in breaks in our schedule and won't take children at short intervals unless they verbally ask beforehand, etc, etc, etc. So this mom knows.

But at 6:50am this morning, I drew a blank as to what to say.
Unregistered 08:38 AM 09-06-2018
I had a parent drop off her 2.5 yr old son the other day and she told me he was in underwear because he wouldn’t let her put a pull up on him. Seriously? This kid is no where near being potty trained, he has never even used the potty at my house before! She quickly left and I immediately went to put a pull up on him and he had already peed in his pants!
amberrose3dg 08:46 AM 09-06-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I had a parent drop off her 2.5 yr old son the other day and she told me he was in underwear because he wouldn’t let her put a pull up on him. Seriously? This kid is no where near being potty trained, he has never even used the potty at my house before! She quickly left and I immediately went to put a pull up on him and he had already peed in his pants!
Ugh I would of sent him back out the door and told mom she needed to change him and bring him back when he is ready.
I had a mom pull a fast one on my assistant. Dropped off kid in soaking wet diaper clearly from the night before. Had it been me answering the door(i was at bus stop) She would of been asked to change him . Parents need to have their kids ready for care.
Blackcat31 09:40 AM 09-06-2018
Why wait until mom leaves to put a Pull up on him?

That is part of the reason most parents simply bring their kid in underwear without speaking to the provider first.

Talk TO mom verses just putting kid back in a Pull up.
That action doesn't really clarify your rules for the parent at all ...which is what needs to happen if you don't want the child to be arriving in underwear daily.
Unregistered 09:54 AM 09-06-2018
Oh I didn’t wait. I immediately went to grab a pull up out of his bag and she quickly ran out. It was then I noticed he had peed. I had a talk with her at pick up and he’s been in pull ups since.
Blackcat31 09:57 AM 09-06-2018
Oh I didn’t wait. I immediately went to grab a pull up out of his bag and she quickly ran out. It was then I noticed he had peed. I had a talk with her at pick up and he’s been in pull ups since.

knoxmomof2 12:15 PM 09-06-2018
Sounds like BC has the potty part handled 😊 I noticed you said they arrived at 6:50, even though contracted time is 6:30 and he's your first for a while. I don't know if you want ideas, but I used to have a similar issue where parents wanted 7:30 drop off some mornings when everyone else arrives no earlier than 8. They were repeat clients, so I was fine with that as long as they notified me by 8 PM the night before. One morning after requesting an earlier drop off, they were 20 mins late. I started requiring them to arrive no more than 10 minutes later then their requested time if it's before I typically need to be open, otherwise I wouldn't open early for them any more. No problems after that...😉
Tags:potty trained - not
Reply Up