Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>In home dc w no backup- gastroenteritis
Unregistered 06:30 AM 02-25-2015
Do you close? How do you handle it? I got apprx 2 hours of sleep due to diarrhea (sorry) and vomiting, which hasn't stopped yet. How do you handle it?
Unregistered 06:33 AM 02-25-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Do you close? How do you handle it? I got apprx 2 hours of sleep due to diarrhea (sorry) and vomiting, which hasn't stopped yet. How do you handle it?
Also, been open a couple hours now, because I was thinking it might be ok but I'm running to the bathroom so often.
Rockgirl 06:42 AM 02-25-2015
I would've closed. I explain at interviews that they are responsible for their own backup care. I rarely close due to illness, but when you're sick, you're sick. Hope you feel better soon!
jenboo 06:43 AM 02-25-2015
Definitely close!
Play Care 06:46 AM 02-25-2015
I close.

Per regs I am supposed to close for any symptoms I would exclude kids for. Now, a bad cold or just feeling punky I would take something and get on with my day. But for vomiting and diarrhea I would absolutely close. I wouldn't feel comfortable being stuck in the bathroom while kids were unsupervised.
Unregistered 06:47 AM 02-25-2015
Ok, so now what? It's almost 10 am- what do I tell parents now?
permanentvacation 06:47 AM 02-25-2015
It's your company, you make whatever choice you feel you need to make. If you are too ill to work today, call your parents and tell them that and have them come pick their children up. If you think you can make it through the day, stay open.

With the fact that you are operating a child care with no back up, it would seem to me that you will need to close whenever you are very ill, have doctor appointments, dentist appointments, etc. I would suggest getting a back up person as soon as you can so you don't have to close for those things. Having to close too much (for some parents, a daycare closing unexpectedly once or twice a year is too much) would make you take a chance on losing children because the parents would feel that you are not dependable.

I'm not trying to sound mean or anything. I'm just being honest and truly trying to help.
Unregistered 06:47 AM 02-25-2015
Stomach flu is the one thing l always close for. As a mom, I wouldn't want my child exposed.
Unregistered 06:49 AM 02-25-2015
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
It's your company, you make whatever choice you feel you need to make. If you are too ill to work today, call your parents and tell them that and have them come pick their children up. If you think you can make it through the day, stay open.

With the fact that you are operating a child care with no back up, it would seem to me that you will need to close whenever you are very ill, have doctor appointments, dentist appointments, etc. I would suggest getting a back up person as soon as you can so you don't have to close for those things. Having to close too much (for some parents, a daycare closing unexpectedly once or twice a year is too much) would make you take a chance on losing children because the parents would feel that you are not dependable.

I'm not trying to sound mean or anything. I'm just being honest and truly trying to help.
I completely understand but it's almost impossible to find backup. My husband used to do it but he just got a new job- he can't take the time off.
permanentvacation 06:50 AM 02-25-2015
Tell the parents the truth. You weren't feeling well, but hoped that you would get better throughout the day, but you are actually getting worse and now can't stay out of the bathroom. You tried to open for them, but now need to close and need them to come get their children. You will call them later tonight to let them know if you will be able to open tomorrow.

Then, I would suggest calling them by 6 or so tonight, so they have time to find back up care for tomorrow if they need it.

Hope you feel better soon.
Unregistered 06:50 AM 02-25-2015
Ok, so now what? It's almost 10 am- what do I tell parents now?
Call for immediate pick up. Tell them you became ill. They don't need to know when it started.
laundrymom 07:15 AM 02-25-2015
Are most of you required to provide back up care? I provide emergency care If I should become injured through the day and have to take an ambulance ride but require parents to find back up care if I'm sick. I do not have one. My daughter or husband are listed as my emergency back up people and can supervise while parents come pick up but that is short term, 30 min max. My families are responsible for when I'm not able.
permanentvacation 07:34 AM 02-25-2015
In Maryland, you are required to have at least one substitute before you can even get your license. Now, I know that some of us almost never use the substitute, that person is just basically a name on paperwork so they can get their license. But, we are required to have back up. The parents in both counties that I have lived in here expect you to have a substitute (back up). If you close unexpectedly, you are taking a chance that you might lose a child. Most parents are understanding if you are truly ill for one day, but if you have 8 kids and close for one day, you might lose one of those kids.

I practically NEVER close. I went into the hospital one time in the middle of the night and still made sure to have my substitute open on time and run the daycare for me. I had surgery and made sure to have my substitute operate the daycare for me except 1 day. The day of my surgery, she was the only person who could drive me to and from surgery, so I had to close the day of my surgery. I have worked many times when I was throwing up and/or had diarrhea. I also used to have unbelievably heavy periods where often when I stood up, blood and large blood clots would rush down my legs. I stayed open during all those times. I just ran to the bathroom constantly and really quickly washed my legs up and changed my underwear and pants.

There are daycare providers in the area who close for doctor's appointments and when they're sick. But then their parents call around, plenty have called me, and say that their daycare provider closes for those things and therefore are unreliable so they are looking for a new daycare provider who doesn't close. I then tell them that I have an 'assistant' who has worked for me for 6 years now. She watches the children if I have to go to the doctor's or anywhere so I don't close on you. Then I get the kids just because I use my substitute like I am supposed to do.
Ariana 09:02 AM 02-25-2015
I just had to close for this last week. I am sorry you are going through this

I give myself 5 paid sick days and anything over and above that is free for the parents. They aren't allowed to enroll without backup care or flexible work schedules/time off.
lilcupcakes09 10:16 AM 02-25-2015
I'm sorry but IMO, I wouldn't want parents in my program who act like this!!! We all get sick, we all need days off for rhings for ourselves and our families. Parents know what they are signing up for when they choose your program. If myself or my children have a stomach bug, I would def close! The health of my children is my upmost priority, not whether I lose a child or not because I took off. I take iff for vacations, took 3 weeks of maternity leave last year, and a sick day here or there but luckily not often and nobody left, nor have I ever had anyone leave for that matter. We are human, if someone gets pissed because you close a day, I'd say "good luck with your new provider!"

In Maryland, you are required to have at least one substitute before you can even get your license. Now, I know that some of us almost never use the substitute, that person is just basically a name on paperwork so they can get their license. But, we are required to have back up. The parents in both counties that I have lived in here expect you to have a substitute (back up). If you close unexpectedly, you are taking a chance that you might lose a child. Most parents are understanding if you are truly ill for one day, but if you have 8 kids and close for one day, you might lose one of those kids.

I practically NEVER close. I went into the hospital one time in the middle of the night and still made sure to have my substitute open on time and run the daycare for me. I had surgery and made sure to have my substitute operate the daycare for me except 1 day. The day of my surgery, she was the only person who could drive me to and from surgery, so I had to close the day of my surgery. I have worked many times when I was throwing up and/or had diarrhea. I also used to have unbelievably heavy periods where often when I stood up, blood and large blood clots would rush down my legs. I stayed open during all those times. I just ran to the bathroom constantly and really quickly washed my legs up and changed my underwear and pants.

There are daycare providers in the area who close for doctor's appointments and when they're sick. But then their parents call around, plenty have called me, and say that their daycare provider closes for those things and therefore are unreliable so they are looking for a new daycare provider who doesn't close. I then tell them that I have an 'assistant' who has worked for me for 6 years now. She watches the children if I have to go to the doctor's or anywhere so I don't close on you. Then I get the kids just because I use my substitute like I am supposed to do.

Unregistered 10:30 AM 02-25-2015
All families came quickly and were understanding and totally sympathetic and not concerned about having to pick up except one giving me a guilt trip that they had no sick time or could only leave for emergencies. Eventually they showed up. They weren't happy. My contract states I will provide backup ** if **there is one available. They told me they understand the stress of me being sick but it puts stress on them also.
How frustrating.
I don't want to be puking and pooping every 5 min I assure you.
Shell 10:53 AM 02-25-2015
All families came quickly and were understanding and totally sympathetic and not concerned about having to pick up except one giving me a guilt trip that they had no sick time or could only leave for emergencies. Eventually they showed up. They weren't happy. My contract states I will provide backup ** if **there is one available. They told me they understand the stress of me being sick but it puts stress on them also.
How frustrating.
Ugh! You poor thing! I'm right there with you- I had a dcb throw up on me earlier this week, and last night out of the blue, my dh stared vomiting violently all night! I was up all night with him and was stressed out to the max thinking, what if I have to take him to the hospital with dehydration?
I decided to close, as I also felt incredibly nauseous myself.
My dc parents were all very understanding, but I feel a little upset about putting them out, it was a new dcg's first day, too, and I had to cancel.
We have to do what is best for ourselves, and if you're not feeling well, you can't be expected to work!
Play Care 10:54 AM 02-25-2015
How frustrating.
I am glad the majority of your families were supportive. If you can't term the last family immediately ( I would) then start looking for a replacment. When you chose in home care you know this is a possibility.
permanentvacation 11:34 AM 02-25-2015
I wish I had maternity leave!! Here's my delivery story:

I went into labor with my second daughter while doing daycare. The older children were on their way walking home from school and the little ones were in my house. I started having contractions. I recorded my contractions and called my doctor. She said to go in so she could check me. I had my substitute come over to finish doing daycare for me. Just before the school kids arrived, one of their mothers who was also a friend of mine happened to come early to pick her daughter up. She and her daughter went with my daughter (both girls age 4) and me to the doctor's. She wanted to drive, but since I knew the way, and I'm a control freak, I demanded that I drive.

We went to the doctor's office. My water broke as I was getting on the examination table. I went to the bathroom to see if I need to pee or if my water had broken. I sat on the toilet and could not get up because all of my muscles were pushing downward to naturally deliver the baby! I yelled through the office for my doctor. The nurse and doctor helped me lay on the floor and I gave birth right there on the bathroom floor of the doctor's office!

They made the baby and I stay in the hospital that night and released us later the next day. The following morning, at 6 am, I did daycare!

I did have my father and his girlfriend there to do daycare for me, but they were handing the children the wrong colored cups and the kids were saying, 'No, the blue one is Tommy's. Mine is green." I knew it was bothering my father and girlfriend that they weren't getting the cup thing right and they were keeping me awake anyway, so I got up and did daycare! I sent my dad and his girlfriend home that night and told them that I'd be fine to do daycare myself. So, I only took 1 1/2 days off work when I had my daughter!

My husband (at the time), however, stayed laying in bed and did whatever he pleased as if he were on maternity leave.
permanentvacation 11:43 AM 02-25-2015
Unregistered,

See, that's about how it would go in my area if you didn't close too much. Most of the parents would understand, but one or two would complain. If they complained, you could pretty much guarantee that they will find another daycare soon.

Since I am a single mother, it really affects me financially if I lose a child. So I do my best to put my income ahead of my health needs. Which is sad, but that's the way I have to do things so I keep my bills paid.

I'm glad that you were able to close and hope you feel better soon.
Unregistered 01:35 PM 02-25-2015
It's very frustrating. Here I feel like I'm dying with a stomach bug and they're upset with me for it
Play Care 01:39 PM 02-25-2015
It's very frustrating. Here I feel like I'm dying with a stomach bug and they're upset with me for it
Get them out of your head and rest!

Some people will always complain and you can't take it personally. Take heart with the fact the *majority* of your families were understanding. That's a good sign.

I had a dcparent tell me my vacation was too long last year. I took the same vacation this year... He's still here...

I am not a martyr provider. If I'm sick, I close.
permanentvacation 02:21 PM 02-25-2015
Yep! You will get parents like that. But I bet she takes off work every time she gets a little headache! Don't let it worry you now. You've closed for the day so you can get rest and try to get better. Don't let that one parent make your day worse. Forget about that parent for now and focus on taking care of yourself.
lilcupcakes09 05:40 PM 02-25-2015
I have a parent who fits this to a T!!! Last year dcb gets strep throat, she keeps him home one day, the day after picking him up from school and taking him the dr, the bare minimum she had to as he had to be on antibiotics for 24hrs before returning to me or school. He wasn't really feeling well enough for school but nothing I could do about it. She comes down with it the following week and takes off an ENTIRE WEEK!!! But yet it's difficult for her to take off or make any school functions ugh!!!
This is why I don't feel back taking off here and there.

Yep! You will get parents like that. But I bet she takes off work every time she gets a little headache! Don't let it worry you now. You've closed for the day so you can get rest and try to get better. Don't let that one parent make your day worse. Forget about that parent for now and focus on taking care of yourself.

momofboys 06:56 AM 02-26-2015
I wish I had maternity leave!! Here's my delivery story:

I went into labor with my second daughter while doing daycare. The older children were on their way walking home from school and the little ones were in my house. I started having contractions. I recorded my contractions and called my doctor. She said to go in so she could check me. I had my substitute come over to finish doing daycare for me. Just before the school kids arrived, one of their mothers who was also a friend of mine happened to come early to pick her daughter up. She and her daughter went with my daughter (both girls age 4) and me to the doctor's. She wanted to drive, but since I knew the way, and I'm a control freak, I demanded that I drive.

We went to the doctor's office. My water broke as I was getting on the examination table. I went to the bathroom to see if I need to pee or if my water had broken. I sat on the toilet and could not get up because all of my muscles were pushing downward to naturally deliver the baby! I yelled through the office for my doctor. The nurse and doctor helped me lay on the floor and I gave birth right there on the bathroom floor of the doctor's office!

They made the baby and I stay in the hospital that night and released us later the next day. The following morning, at 6 am, I did daycare!

I did have my father and his girlfriend there to do daycare for me, but they were handing the children the wrong colored cups and the kids were saying, 'No, the blue one is Tommy's. Mine is green." I knew it was bothering my father and girlfriend that they weren't getting the cup thing right and they were keeping me awake anyway, so I got up and did daycare! I sent my dad and his girlfriend home that night and told them that I'd be fine to do daycare myself. So, I only took 1 1/2 days off work when I had my daughter!

My husband (at the time), however, stayed laying in bed and did whatever he pleased as if he were on maternity leave.
I understand the point you are making but you have to take time for yourself. You are setting yourself up for sickness or too much stress when you don't take time for yourself. Back to work after having a baby just a few days later? I don't think I would have brought my child to a provider who just had a baby a day or two before even with a backup in place.
laundrymom 11:30 AM 02-26-2015
Originally Posted by momofboys:
I understand the point you are making but you have to take time for yourself. You are setting yourself up for sickness or too much stress when you don't take time for yourself. Back to work after having a baby just a few days later? I don't think I would have brought my child to a provider who just had a baby a day or two before even with a backup in place.
Mine were almost the same as hers. 2 days for child 1. 4 for child two. 9 for child three ( she was thoughtful enough to be born the week before mem day so I already had vaca scheduled. Lol) and the fourth baby I took off 7 days.
But... I had easy deliveries and was out and about hours after birth. Signed myself and baby out ama 3 times.
I really had no problems w it.
e.j. 11:41 AM 02-26-2015
Stomach bugs are usually pretty contagious. As soon as they come down with it, they'll have a better understanding as to why you needed to take time off! Karma!

I hope you feel better soon.
permanentvacation 01:07 PM 02-26-2015
Yeah, I was shocked that people actually expected me to be open and literally brought their kids to daycare knowing that I had just giving birth! The parents didn't care! They wanted their daycare so they could go to work! You would think they would have said, 'No, you rest, we'll get Grandmom to watch our child' or something, but nope. They didn't miss a beat in bringing their kids to daycare!

But it was fine. Both of my children were born with naturally and with no complications. I could have given birth in a potato farm and kept on picking potatoes!
momofboys 09:46 AM 02-27-2015
Yeah, I was shocked that people actually expected me to be open and literally brought their kids to daycare knowing that I had just giving birth! The parents didn't care! They wanted their daycare so they could go to work! You would think they would have said, 'No, you rest, we'll get Grandmom to watch our child' or something, but nope. They didn't miss a beat in bringing their kids to daycare!

But it was fine. Both of my children were born with naturally and with no complications. I could have given birth in a potato farm and kept on picking potatoes!
Sorry you had to deal w/that but it sounds like it worked out okay!
permanentvacation 09:03 PM 02-27-2015
Yeah. I was shocked that they actually brought their children to daycare when they knew I just had the baby the day before! You know all of them took at least 6 weeks off! I really expected them to tell me to take a couple of days or a week off after having the baby, but nope! They all came the day after I had her. I honestly couldn't believe it. But whatcha' gonna do? I went with the flow and did what I had to do.
Reply Up