Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>We are off to Northwood Iowa!
nannyde 07:43 PM 04-24-2014
Well the day has finally come. I sold my house and my son, the white pup with one black eye, and the brown pup are moving to a small town in Northern Iowa. It is a community of 2000 with eight day cares. We found a beautiful brick house that is 1200 sq foot on each level. It was built in 1965.

The address is 207 5th Street North. If you google it you.can.see pics.

The house is in immaculate condition. It has had one owner and one occupant for 50 years. The woman.I bought it from is 94 years old and never married or had kids or pets. It is COMPLETELY original. Everything but the carpet and the fridge is original.

The basement is completely unfinished. It has a furnace, water heater, and washer, dryer. That's it for the basement.

I bought the house today and paid for it with my life savings in cash. It's mine free and clear! I will need to earn earn earn to finish the basement, put in a second bathroom, and build a driveway and garage. It will also need a privacy fence.

It aint much but it will be easy to renovate because it has never had a single renovation since it was.built.

It has a wonderful high school and a beautiful campus. The school is small but the sports complex is huge. Those Northwood Vikings love themselves some football!

We move in Monday and Cohle starts school Tuesday. We sent a bouquet of roses with a thank you note for choosing us to buy her home. She is living in the assisted living residence and still well. We hope to go visit her on Sunday if she will receive us.

I will be working part time consulting and spending time getting to know the town. I will reopen the daycare when we get the basement done.

It's been a journey to find a new home. I hope small town daycare will teach me about rural child care. I hope my son meshes in.with the kids.

To the folks here who counseled me during the decision process, much thanks.

I have new numbers I will post when I get them. Nan
Meeko 07:57 PM 04-24-2014
So happy for you Nan...it sounds wonderful. I hope you enjoy renovating your new home.

Ours was built in 1958 and had one owner too. It hadn't been updated since 1958 (yes, we really had orange shag carpet everywhere!) It was HARD work, but I feel we have a home that is unique (I didn't want a cookie cutter home) and am proud of the work we have done. Love all the old woodwork and built-in's etc.

Keep us posted on your progress and post pictures too! "Before" and "After" shots are always fun!

Oh...and I confess that when I first read this I read that you had sold your house and your son LOL!!!!!!
Laurel 08:12 PM 04-24-2014
Congratulations!

I've always wondered if I'd like living in a small town.

Laurel
Little Buttons 09:23 PM 04-24-2014
Wow! Congratulations!!! I think it is amazing and admirable that you paid for your house upfront! I hope you and your son settle in well!
Unregistered 01:37 AM 04-25-2014
I lived in NE Iowa for years and did both FCC and also owned a center. It was an awesome time in my life. I am also very familiar with many of the small communities and their schools. I found them to be wonderful!

While it was a culture shock when I first moved I grew to love the area (directly on the Mississippi along the beautiful bluffs).

Hoping for an easy transition and your house sounds awesome! Yay!
nannyde 03:08 AM 04-25-2014
http://www.northerniowarealestate.co...rty_ID=2075-43

Don't know how long this link will last.

Good thing my favorite color is green. Think 1965 Bewitched
nannyde 03:11 AM 04-25-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:
So happy for you Nan...it sounds wonderful. I hope you enjoy renovating your new home.

Ours was built in 1958 and had one owner too. It hadn't been updated since 1958 (yes, we really had orange shag carpet everywhere!) It was HARD work, but I feel we have a home that is unique (I didn't want a cookie cutter home) and am proud of the work we have done. Love all the old woodwork and built-in's etc.

Keep us posted on your progress and post pictures too! "Before" and "After" shots are always fun!

Oh...and I confess that when I first read this I read that you had sold your house and your son LOL!!!!!!
For sale: big house, big son, little dogs.... inquire within
Shell 04:19 AM 04-25-2014
Congrats on a new adventure- best wishes
KidGrind 05:17 AM 04-25-2014
Why did I tear up reading this post?!

I don’t know you NannyDe. Even so, you are a super hero in my book. I hope small town Iowa is perfection for you and yours!
Second Home 05:30 AM 04-25-2014
Congrats.
mountainside13 05:36 AM 04-25-2014
Congratulations!!! That's very exciting!
SilverSabre25 05:46 AM 04-25-2014
congratulations Nanny! I can tell how excited you are to start this new chapter of your life!

(I also thought you sold the house and son, lol)
SquirrellyMama 05:46 AM 04-25-2014
Originally Posted by mountainside13:
Congratulations!!! That's very exciting!
Enjoy small town living. We live in Central Iowa in a town of 2500. It is a daycare mecca, since it is located off the interstate and a main highway.

My daughter has a pen pal in Northwood. Oh wait, her pen pal is in Lake Mills. I think both towns have the same exit off of I35. Seems like I see that whenever we go to MN.

Kelly
caregiver 06:22 AM 04-25-2014
Congrats! I am sure you will love living in Northwood. I have a college friend that grew up there, moved away and now has moved back there.Her name is Deb,maiden last name is Walser,for the life of me I can't remember her married name, I think it starts with a R. She is around 60 yrs old,short blond hair,glasses. I think some of the Walser family still lives in Northwood.
I went to college in Forest city, Iowa, Waldorf College which is just a few miles from Northwood. I went there in 1972-1974,so that gives my age away also! I love that area, nice, friendly people. I think you will find it a really nice,friendly place to live. Mason City is not far from there and I also have a college friend that lives there, Sue Secory.
Keep us updated on how your move goes and how you like living there.
spinnymarie 06:25 AM 04-25-2014
How exciting!
That house is adorable.
LOVE the built-in china cab and the bathroom tiles! OMG those are amazing.
My BIL used to live in a small town, much further south in IA, but loved it.
Good luck on your new adventure!
mema 06:30 AM 04-25-2014

Congrats! Best of luck to you, your son, and the pups
countrymom 06:35 AM 04-25-2014
sounds great. I live in a 100 yr old house and we are slowly renovating. And we live in a small town. Love small town living where everyone knows everyone, its a huge thing. Also find that my kids are different compared to city kids. Oh, one thing I did notice with small towns is that alot of families have lots of kids lol! so it should be good.
Cradle2crayons 06:47 AM 04-25-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Well the day has finally come. I sold my house and my son, the white pup with one black eye, and the brown pup are moving to a small town in Northern Iowa. It is a community of 2000 with eight day cares. We found a beautiful brick house that is 1200 sq foot on each level. It was built in 1965.

The address is 207 5th Street North. If you google it you.can.see pics.

The house is in immaculate condition. It has had one owner and one occupant for 50 years. The woman.I bought it from is 94 years old and never married or had kids or pets. It is COMPLETELY original. Everything but the carpet and the fridge is original.

The basement is completely unfinished. It has a furnace, water heater, and washer, dryer. That's it for the basement.

I bought the house today and paid for it with my life savings in cash. It's mine free and clear! I will need to earn earn earn to finish the basement, put in a second bathroom, and build a driveway and garage. It will also need a privacy fence.

It aint much but it will be easy to renovate because it has never had a single renovation since it was.built.

It has a wonderful high school and a beautiful campus. The school is small but the sports complex is huge. Those Northwood Vikings love themselves some football!

We move in Monday and Cohle starts school Tuesday. We sent a bouquet of roses with a thank you note for choosing us to buy her home. She is living in the assisted living residence and still well. We hope to go visit her on Sunday if she will receive us.

I will be working part time consulting and spending time getting to know the town. I will reopen the daycare when we get the basement done.

It's been a journey to find a new home. I hope small town daycare will teach me about rural child care. I hope my son meshes in.with the kids.

To the folks here who counseled me during the decision process, much thanks.

I have new numbers I will post when I get them. Nan
Awesome!!!!! It sounds so exciting!! A new chapter in life!! When we moved back out to the woods a few years ago.... It was like we were home...

I wouldn't trade my rural child care for anything... People are very different in the sticks for sure!! As a matter of fact, where I live doesn't even have a name... We call it between the Lodebar community and the crossroads community. Communities here are divided by churches... There's a few hundred in each community. We live out where only volunteer law enforcement exists lol.
Michelle 06:55 AM 04-25-2014
If you don't mind me asking, how much was the selling price?
My brother might be buying property in Iowa soon and keeps saying how low the houses sell for there.
The average rent for a nice 3 bedroom where I live is $2,000 per month.
and the average sale price is around $250,000.
Just curious
Congrats on your purchase!
I absolutely love the view
Naptime yet? 07:26 AM 04-25-2014
Congratulations & how exciting! It will be great fun for you & your son making the house your own!
wdmmom 07:32 AM 04-25-2014
I'm gonna miss my Nan! :'(
jenn 07:42 AM 04-25-2014
Congratulations! I love older homes. They have so much personality. Ours was built in 1910. The homeowners built on and remodeled in the 50's, but did a very poor job. I imagine they did it themselves. Good luck with this new adventure!
momofboys 08:17 AM 04-25-2014
Congratulations!!! Best wishes on re-starting your daycare at some point also!
nannyde 12:56 PM 04-25-2014
Originally Posted by jenn:
Congratulations! I love older homes. They have so much personality. Ours was built in 1910. The homeowners built on and remodeled in the 50's, but did a very poor job. I imagine they did it themselves. Good luck with this new adventure!
When I moved into this house I spent thousands of dollars dealing with the previous owners remodeling. I would rather spend the money remodeling then the money it takes to undo remodeling and then remodel.
MyAngels 01:48 PM 04-25-2014
Congratulations! It sounds like a great move for all of you
proudmommyofthree 01:56 PM 04-25-2014
Congrats!! how exciting, a new adventure
Unregistered 01:00 PM 04-28-2014
I may not be a registered member of this forum, but I am a regular lurker and an occasional poster...

Nannyde, this forum and your posts saved me when I started my own home day care. I imagine I am not the only one who feels that you may never know how many people you have probably helped (and will continue to help) along the way with your wisdom and good old common sense! You have even helped me be a better parent to my own children.

I wish you nothing but happiness and the best of luck--with your move, and with everything else that comes along with your new adventure!
llpa 01:10 PM 04-28-2014
Awesome for you!!!! Yay!!!
I grew up in a small town and love that environment still. Have faith and everything will work out just fine!
Reply Up