Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Looking Forward
Lil_Diddle 11:00 AM 03-22-2020
This virus is stressful for us all. Not only do we worry about our families, our health, how we are going to homeschool our older children but our business and finances. I’m grateful to have this page to come to and read how others are dealing with our current situation.

My home childcare is just a small unlicensed in home daycare caring for teachers kids. Currently our school district is closed until April 3rd. But I foresee it lasting longer. Some schools nearby in other districts have already called school for the year. For the two weeks that I am closed I asked children stay home with their parents, and I have asked for 50% tuition. a parents were ok with this arrangement. No payments have become due yet, I’m really hoping since they are salaried employees that they will find it in their hearts to pay full tuition. But I’m not holding my breath. I can make ends meet with 50%, things will be tougher but I can make it work.

I’m stressing though wondering what will happen if the district closes for the remainder of the year. Obviously, I will not take kids as their parents will be working from home. And as this virus gets worse in my area, as I’m sure it will, I don’t want unnecessary bodies in my home and I’m sure their parents prefer to keep them home. I’m just not sure what to do about expecting payment. My contract and handbook is geared towards teachers families. In the contract it says they pay me from the first day of school until the last. Which for us was supposed to be May 22. Would it be out of line for me to continue to expect 50% payment up until May 22nd? Will parents expect that since school may be called, that technically is the last day of school? Because I’m a small unlicensed home daycare I’m not sure I’d be eligible for unemployment. I claim all income on my taxes. But I don’t know how all of this works. I’m hopeful that my DCF will all be empathetic, but I’m not sure if they will be. I have several that have kids going to kindergarten that may just say too bad. In that case I have their deposits. I also have some that I could say, if you plan on returning your child next year it is expected you pay until the contract date of May 22nd.

As a financial means, I always take a few kids in the summer since my regular families aren’t paying. However, it’s not summer yet and as a home provider with my own family at home that I’m expected to homeschool and the current epidemic I’m not comfortable taking in new kids at the time.

Looking for support and suggestions.

Also, I’m making an addition to my handbook for future reference in case we should ever be faced like a situation like this again. Also considering natural disasters etc... any ideas for policies pertaining to these areas would be very helpful.
Michael 12:13 PM 03-22-2020
These are different times and we have to adapt to what is transpiring. I think you should expect payment to hold the child’s spot as per your contract. It is up to you to change that on a case-by-case basis. Some parents may continue to have income or benefits from work or the government. They can pay. Those that are in a situation where they fall through the cracks and are in a bind, you could work to help them through this tough time.

We all need to survive but also be compassionate and empathize with those who don’t have options.
Lil_Diddle 12:20 PM 03-22-2020
Currently all of my clients are getting paid as they are teachers. Im not positive on the spouses. So I would definitely take that into consideration. I personally don’t think asking 50% is asking too much, considering I’m ineligible for unemployment. And I want to get back to work. I also have an employee to consider as this is effecting her family as well. It’s not easy times for any of us.
Annalee 02:00 PM 03-22-2020
Most "shutdowns" that are happening across the states is for 14 days. In my state, It is still the child care facility's choice whether to be open or closed. The way I see it is if we did close for two weeks why would a parent "leave" when they would be responsible for a two week notice anyway??? Essentially, they would still have to pay the two weeks I closed and then not have a spot when I opened back up??? My contract states I am paid 52 weeks per year!
Lil_Diddle 03:14 PM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Most "shutdowns" that are happening across the states is for 14 days. In my state, It is still the child care facility's choice whether to be open or closed. The way I see it is if we did close for two weeks why would a parent "leave" when they would be responsible for a two week notice anyway??? Essentially, they would still have to pay the two weeks I closed and then not have a spot when I opened back up??? My contract states I am paid 52 weeks per year!
I required a two week deposit upfront, I’m just wondering if this shut down extends past the two weeks. My DCF are all working from home and all still getting paid. I offered them a discount to keep their kids home these two weeks, which I didn’t have to. But there is talk of the shut down lasting longer now, possibly even cancelling the school year. Im worried I’ll lose families for next year if I expect them to pay. Although I hope they have more respect for me than that. Or the ones that have kindergarten age kids and just say, well too bad. Through all of this I still have expenses, I have an employee I want to continue to help out as well. She’s now home with her 4 school age children.
Annalee 03:30 PM 03-22-2020
Graduations in May are already cancelled here for colleges and High Schools. My own son will not march. My youngest has a chrome book with work on it, but the consensus is it can't be graded and too many kids won't have internet. Therefore, many things have been waived regarding the "school system". I don't see school going back this school year.....what is done is in the books and that is that.

My nephew has a wedding planned for May as well and their venue has already told them only immediate family would be allowed. We have reservations for Memorial day at a cabin on the water in a neighboring state and they have contacted us letting us know we would receive a full refund.

Yes, this can go on forever, but I will learn really quickly who "respects" my program...I mean who "REALY RESPECTS" my program. I am a business and times like this puts me to the test but it is what it is.
jenboo 05:11 PM 03-22-2020
If I CHOOSE to close, I am not charging parents. I personally couldn't justify that.
If the government makes me close for 2 weeks, then I'm charging 50% since it's out of my hands.
Since I need the money, I am remaining open. Most of my parents are working from home but bringing their kids. Working on a computer with young kids at home is HARD, so I can see how they still need childcare.
Annalee 05:31 PM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by jenboo:
If I CHOOSE to close, I am not charging parents. I personally couldn't justify that.
If the government makes me close for 2 weeks, then I'm charging 50% since it's out of my hands.
Since I need the money, I am remaining open. Most of my parents are working from home but bringing their kids. Working on a computer with young kids at home is HARD, so I can see how they still need childcare.
I understand

However, I'm old and I've been through the tornadoes, ice storms, funerals, etc. so I've had the 52 weeks no matter what in my contract since 2000....just something I have chosen to do to protect my own family. I worked a long 8 years before that with no boundaries.....thankful I met a wonderful mentor in 2000 in a child care orientation class. As I have stated many times before....she changed my life as my own first child was born in 2001.....I will always be grateful to her!
Blackcat31 06:44 PM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by jenboo:
This is kinda where I’m at as well.
Cat Herder 06:17 AM 03-23-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This is kinda where I’m at as well.
Same here.
Annalee 06:25 AM 03-23-2020
I think child care will fall into the "essential" category and remain open unless coronavirus is diagnosed within the families in care.

I did send a text yesterday and asked that all parents adhere to the strict illness policy...only four showed up today but I have received text from the others letting me know there were some coughs and runny noses so they stayed home since parents are working home anyway.

Hopefully, all will continue like this. It is rumored our governor will close more things today????

3 are out due to parents working within the school/colleges and are off.
Blackcat31 08:54 AM 03-23-2020
I struggle with one family only.
3 out of 11 families are not currently attending.

2 are not essential workers and are working from home.
1 is not essential and has a spouse that is unemployed and they don't pay for their child care.
They wanted to continue attending but I denied them as the parent at home needs to step up since they don't pay for their care anyways.

The families that are attending have both parents working

The family I am struggling with...one parent is essential and working. The other is not essential but is still working. However they have a family member that has currently come to stay with them to watch their older child school aged child at home. They still send their 3 yr old to care.

I don't feel right telling them they can't use child care as they do pay for it and are working but I don't like that they DO have options but aren't utilizing them.
I don't like the potential of spread IF the family member was/is exposed.

I feel as if I can't tell them they can't use daycare but at the same time I made the rookie mistake of thinking they would simply do the right thing.
Tags:coronavirus, covid-19
Reply Up