Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>3 Wild Boys
onebzmom 01:59 PM 11-29-2016
I need some advice! I have been licensed for 27 years so I have seen everything! Right now I have 3 3/4 yo boys who want to do nothing but play power rangers, shoot, and roughhouse on the floor. I separate them, redirect etc etc. The minute I am helping another child, here they go again. They have numerous activities available. They disrupt every group time we try to do and now, the two girls are trying what they see the boys do. I get rated in January for our Early Achievers program. I am at a loss. It is frustrating when I am trying to jump thru all the hoops to get a good rating and unless I can get this under control I dread what what might happen when the raters are here!
The leader of the three has twin brothers who are 10. So power rangers shooting and wrestling are staples at home from what I can gather. I talked to mom earlier and told her it is becoming a problem. She said they would talk about it but yesterday and today have been chaos. After the long weekend it has been especially bad. They are sweet boys but together they are explosive. Help all ideas appreciated.
Blackcat31 02:14 PM 11-29-2016
Originally Posted by onebzmom:
I need some advice! I have been licensed for 27 years so I have seen everything! Right now I have 3 3/4 yo boys who want to do nothing but play power rangers, shoot, and roughhouse on the floor. I separate them, redirect etc etc. The minute I am helping another child, here they go again. They have numerous activities available. They disrupt every group time we try to do and now, the two girls are trying what they see the boys do. I get rated in January for our Early Achievers program. I am at a loss. It is frustrating when I am trying to jump thru all the hoops to get a good rating and unless I can get this under control I dread what what might happen when the raters are here!
The leader of the three has twin brothers who are 10. So power rangers shooting and wrestling are staples at home from what I can gather. I talked to mom earlier and told her it is becoming a problem. She said they would talk about it but yesterday and today have been chaos. After the long weekend it has been especially bad. They are sweet boys but together they are explosive. Help all ideas appreciated.
I would not allow them to play together.

I also would limit their options for physical play.

Here, the children choose an activity and are required to remain seated while playing. I don't allow them to be on their feet for anything other than moving from one activity to another, clean up or a restroom break. Otherwise, its on your butt. NOT knees either.

Also do one-handed car play. One hand on the floor, one hand on the car. No knees, no feet.

I'd also set them up to succeed. Talk with them about the "house rules" during breakfast or morning circle time every day. Have them give input as to what good consequences should be if they break the rules. Many times when kids are involved in the rule making process they adhere to it much better and take responsibility for their actions and choices.

I would also have a special activity or reward (stickers, special privilege) planned for the end of the day. Only those children that followed the rules and played nicely without breaking house rules get to participate.

Kids are motivated by each other...use that to your benefit.

Peer pressure is always something most people look at like a negative thing....which it can be but in the early childhood world, it's actually a good thing.

HTH
TXhomedaycare 05:37 PM 11-29-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would not allow them to play together.

I also would limit their options for physical play.

Here, the children choose an activity and are required to remain seated while playing. I don't allow them to be on their feet for anything other than moving from one activity to another, clean up or a restroom break. Otherwise, its on your butt. NOT knees either.

Also do one-handed car play. One hand on the floor, one hand on the car. No knees, no feet.

I'd also set them up to succeed. Talk with them about the "house rules" during breakfast or morning circle time every day. Have them give input as to what good consequences should be if they break the rules. Many times when kids are involved in the rule making process they adhere to it much better and take responsibility for their actions and choices.

I would also have a special activity or reward (stickers, special privilege) planned for the end of the day. Only those children that followed the rules and played nicely without breaking house rules get to participate.

Kids are motivated by each other...use that to your benefit.

Peer pressure is always something most people look at like a negative thing....which it can be but in the early childhood world, it's actually a good thing.

HTH

I agree with this. I used to have 6 full-time boys and 4 of the 6 were very active and wanted to be physical. We spent a lot of time outside. When we were inside I separated them and made sure I set the tone for whatever activity we had planned. If I knew we would have guest I would bring out a new toy or something that was old but new again that really kept them busy and quite. Boys love rewards and competitions so make that work to your advantage.
daycarediva 06:00 AM 11-30-2016
I find that volume control helps. I play low-ish music and if *I* can't hear it, all I have to do now is point to the stereo. The kids quiet down. It's hard to rough house if you're quiet.
cassiesue 08:56 AM 11-30-2016
I feel for you. Is there any way to maybe increase the amount of time they are outside? Or even rearrange the schedule and break up outside time into 2 separate times so that maybe they can dispel some of that energy in a less intrusive manner.
Hunni Bee 12:11 PM 11-30-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I find that volume control helps. I play low-ish music and if *I* can't hear it, all I have to do now is point to the stereo. The kids quiet down. It's hard to rough house if you're quiet.
I do that too!

I still have to announce that I can't hear the music, but it does work.
Mom2Two 02:40 PM 11-30-2016
Sometimes when I have a group going wild I pull them out one at a time for some online preschool. I use IXL math, which they enjoy. Often just pulling one out of the group calms the whole thing down. Also they will often sit down at the table to watch what the other child is doing on the computer, waiting for their turn.
onebzmom 05:26 PM 12-05-2016
Originally Posted by cassiesue:
I feel for you. Is there any way to maybe increase the amount of time they are outside? Or even rearrange the schedule and break up outside time into 2 separate times so that maybe they can dispel some of that energy in a less intrusive manner.
We live near Seattle and it has been raining cats and dogs for the last month! My backyard playarea is a swamp. We go out in the cul de sac when it's not pouring. The funny thing is that they can run themselves ragged and come in and before their shoes are off they start again.
I am trying everyone's ideas!
onebzmom 05:30 PM 12-05-2016
Thanks for the awesome ideas. I have been exhausted at the end of the day and looking on here was the last thing I thought about! Dealing with this everyday is making me want to stop and move on. Out of all the years of doing home daycare this is my hardest group!
Reply Up