Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Blankie in Daycare?
Miss A 07:15 AM 12-22-2016
I was wondering how everyone else feels about comfort items in daycare. I have a 2.5y DCB who would drag his around all day, chewing and sucking on it if I let him. If another child goes to touch him he gets defensive and starts to smack at other kids, so I have been putting it up in his cubby when he comes in. He cries and pouts after I do this.

I totally get the need for comfort, but I can't have him hitting others. I explain to DCB each day that blankie is for rest time, and show him how all the other kids blankies are put away until nap time too. I can't explain to my Littles that he needs personal space, because at 18 months and younger they don't understand no matter how often I talk about DCB needing quiet time. I don't mind the crying and pouting, as I know that is a natural part of being 2.5.

It doesn't help that DCM carries him in each day with a sippy full of juice and hands him his blankie as soon as she takes his coat off. He is her only child, and she babies him terribly. As soon as she walks out the door the blankie goes in the cubby and the juice cup is rinsed out and put away.

I will not continue to baby a 2.5 year old.
bklsmum 07:21 AM 12-22-2016
Here the kiddos can have something to snuggle for nap time. It is in their cubbie other than that. If a child walks in holding something that is not allowed I make their parent take it away. If their parent handed them something not allowed I would make them take it away.
TXhomedaycare 07:33 AM 12-22-2016
Originally Posted by bklsmum:
Here the kiddos can have something to snuggle for nap time. It is in their cubbie other than that. If a child walks in holding something that is not allowed I make their parent take it away. If their parent handed them something not allowed I would make them take it away.
yep. I recently had a 2 yo dcb that started here that has the same issue except he also has a pacifier and I found myself constantly looking for the pacifier when he would drop it and it would bounce to a black hole. I had to cut the blanket because it was falling apart and was dirty (grandma even sent it wet one day because he can't live without it). He is the first child I have had with the need for an all day comfort item and I will no longer allow it except for nap because it was taking up to much effort to manage.
Blackcat31 07:35 AM 12-22-2016
NO items brought back and forth from home.

Bed bugs, scabies, lice....no thanks!

I DO however, allow the kids to have a blanket and/or pacifier during rest time but NO ONE is allowed to bring their security blanket back and forth daily. It stays here until the child ages out or withdraws from my program. I launder them myself.

I do not allow kids to drag them around and if I had one I was trying to break of the need/want to do so, I would allow them to have their blanket but I would designate a spot for it. They can hold it there in that spot all day long IF they choose to but if they get up or want to play, the blanket stays put. It does not leave the designated spot.

I try to make the spot a "boring" one too.... it doesn't take a kid long to fall prey to the lure of playing with others and leaving the blanket behind.
Baby Beluga 07:52 AM 12-22-2016
I'm with BC - no items brought back and forth. This way I am not sending extra germs home, the children are not bringing extra germs here and I can control when the items get washed.

With that being said, I do allow a comfort item(s) during nap time only. It remains in the child's cubby for the day, they may have it during nap and when nap is over it gets put away.
laundrymom 07:53 AM 12-22-2016
I think "security items" are more often a parents need more than a child's. I mean, how many children actively "crave" an item when engaged in active, appropriate activities? Generally the parent is the one reminding, the parent is the one asking if they want it, the parent is the one stressing about having it. The kids are just ready to get on with their day.
I allow no items from home.
daycarediva 09:33 AM 12-22-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
NO items brought back and forth from home.

Bed bugs, scabies, lice....no thanks!

I DO however, allow the kids to have a blanket and/or pacifier during rest time but NO ONE is allowed to bring their security blanket back and forth daily. It stays here until the child ages out or withdraws from my program. I launder them myself.

I do not allow kids to drag them around and if I had one I was trying to break of the need/want to do so, I would allow them to have their blanket but I would designate a spot for it. They can hold it there in that spot all day long IF they choose to but if they get up or want to play, the blanket stays put. It does not leave the designated spot.

I try to make the spot a "boring" one too.... it doesn't take a kid long to fall prey to the lure of playing with others and leaving the blanket behind.
Exactly this. If you want your blanket, you must be seated by the cubbies. There are no toys in a 6ft radius, so it gets boring fast.
Reply Up