Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Children's Car Deaths in the Summer versus Winter
Country Kids 06:39 AM 06-27-2018
Since last week when we had a child left in car and passed away, there have been numerous articles being posted about hot car deaths, don't leave your child in the car when it's hot, etc.

I began reading these and the reason parent's leave the child in the car. Then I googled leaving children in cars, when do children die the most in cars, and a few other wordings in my search. 99.5% if not 100% were saying do not leave your child in a hot car, hot car deaths on the rise for children, heat stroke in children from being left in the car, etc.

What I find interesting is there are no articles on children being left in the car in the winter and dying, no warnings for not to leave your child in your car in the winter, no articles on children and hypothermia from being left in the car.

Do parents not leave forget their children in the colder months? What is the difference between summer and winter? Parents surely switch schedules, go into autuzone in the winter, take a different route, are still tired or stressed in the winter and all the other reasons given in articles for why children are left in the car during the summer.

It has sparked a wonderment to me of why this happens in the summer and not winter. What are your thoughts on this and do think kid's are left in the car and don't die or just not needing medical attention when found because of cooler temps. I just am perplexed by this and curious to what others thought on here.
Cat Herder 07:02 AM 06-27-2018
My thoughts, soon to be disproven I expect, are with human breeding cycles.

Winter is when most humans are focused on infants, children and family. The holidays keep the focus there. We do it for a biological reason. Even if we don't want to see it. By summer, most are focused on other things. In EMS we call summer gunshot season because of the number of those calls we get during that time. Short tempers, domestic violence and breakups seem more common.

Harvard sort of agrees, although does not link up the two issues.

"Most animals mate at a certain time of year. One of our evolutionary advantages is we can continuously mate and have young. However, if you look at birth patterns, you’ll notice that most birthdays tend to occur at certain times of year. For a mammal with no official mating season, it’s surprising that the majority of births occur between July and September. September is the most common birth month in the US, according to one Harvard study, with September 16th being the most common day. Count back the months and you’ll realize that these babies were conceived around the holidays."

https://bigthink.com/philip-perry/wh...-we-do-sort-of
Country Kids 07:09 AM 06-27-2018
The thing is though, these children can be quite older-I think up to 4 I have seen, so it is not entirely little newborns being left. The one in our community was 2.

It also seems the holiday times would be much more stressful, parents brains totally somewhere else with the holidays, trying to make sure everything goes according to plan. To me it seems the time of year to easily get focused on something else while driving to work.
Mike 07:17 AM 06-27-2018
I think the main difference is that since a car is like a greenhouse, summer is already hot and the car can get very hot very fast, but in the winter, it's cold out, so the greenhouse effect makes it take much longer for the car to get too cold. Much more time in the winter to realise a child is missing.
storybookending 07:24 AM 06-27-2018
Cars heat up faster than they cool down. A child left in the car in the winter will likely have a coat on and the car will take hours to cool below freezing whereas sometimes minutes to reach a temp that’s too hot when left in the sun. I’m sure children get left in the car in the winter just as much but no one is going to report themselves for neglect unless it resulted in injury or death.
Country Kids 07:24 AM 06-27-2018
Originally Posted by Mike:
I think the main difference is that since a car is like a greenhouse, summer is already hot and the car can get very hot very fast, but in the winter, it's cold out, so the greenhouse effect makes it take much longer for the car to get too cold. Much more time in the winter to realise a child is missing.
These children usually are found till after work if left in the car or are left all day before parents go back to the car.

It seems after 8-10 hours the child would have hypothermia setting in or already be deceased.

Even if they are found much quicker you think there would be some sort of statistics out there on children being left in the cars during the winter.
storybookending 07:25 AM 06-27-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
My thoughts, soon to be disproven I expect, are with human breeding cycles.

Winter is when most humans are focused on infants, children and family. The holidays keep the focus there. We do it for a biological reason. Even if we don't want to see it. By summer, most are focused on other things. In EMS we call summer gunshot season because of the number of those calls we get during that time. Short tempers, domestic violence and breakups seem more common.

Harvard sort of agrees, although does not link up the two issues.

"Most animals mate at a certain time of year. One of our evolutionary advantages is we can continuously mate and have young. However, if you look at birth patterns, you’ll notice that most birthdays tend to occur at certain times of year. For a mammal with no official mating season, it’s surprising that the majority of births occur between July and September. September is the most common birth month in the US, according to one Harvard study, with September 16th being the most common day. Count back the months and you’ll realize that these babies were conceived around the holidays."

https://bigthink.com/philip-perry/wh...-we-do-sort-of
I have a child with a Sept 16th birthday hahaha
storybookending 07:30 AM 06-27-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
These children usually are found till after work if left in the car or are left all day before parents go back to the car.

It seems after 8-10 hours the child would have hypothermia setting in or already be deceased.

Even if they are found much quicker you think there would be some sort of statistics out there on children being left in the cars during the winter.
You also have to consider that not every state gets to a cold enough temp where hypothermia would even begin to set it whereas the temperature only needs to be in the upper 70s or low 80s (not sure on exact #, don’t quote me, but it’s not that high) for the interior of a vehicle to heat up to a temperature that would cause a heat stroke. Also when it’s cold a child will shiver and shivering also help keep body temperatures up.
Country Kids 07:36 AM 06-27-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
You also have to consider that not every state gets to a cold enough temp where hypothermia would even begin to set it whereas the temperature only needs to be in the upper 70s or low 80s (not sure on exact #, don’t quote me, but it’s not that high) for the interior of a vehicle to heat up to a temperature that would cause a heat stroke. Also when it’s cold a child will shiver and shivering also help keep body temperatures up.
I think though in a child, hypothermia would set in much quicker. Especially sitting all day in a car all day without a coat on.

Yes, all states don't get cold enough but there are states that do and I think each winter proves times that it can get very, very cold. We know just by Black Cat's posts, Minnesota can get extremely cold.
Cat Herder 07:38 AM 06-27-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
The thing is though, these children can be quite older-I think up to 4 I have seen, so it is not entirely little newborns being left. The one in our community was 2.

It also seems the holiday times would be much more stressful, parents brains totally somewhere else with the holidays, trying to make sure everything goes according to plan. To me it seems the time of year to easily get focused on something else while driving to work.
My point was, biologically, their minds are on the next one or nesting with the current one. They are more chemically bonded during that time.
Cat Herder 07:45 AM 06-27-2018
My point was, biologically, their minds are on the next one or nesting with the current one. They are more chemically bonded during that time.
Was trying to add "Oxytocin" but my internet crashed.
Country Kids 09:15 AM 06-27-2018
Ah, I see what you mean.

I was very pregnant during the holidays with three of my children and between working 11 hour days, running after the others, trying to get ready for the baby/holidays, doing holiday parties etc. my brain was easily overloaded. Actually my brain is overloaded more at the holidays than any other time of the year so I think it would happen more with moms being hurried (pregnant or not) and trying to get everything done.
Ariana 10:25 AM 06-27-2018
We had this discussion in another thread actually!

I think it is because most kids have coats on, a car is shielded from the wind and when the sun hits a car in the winter it helps warm it up inside. Also the body shivers to make itself warm and is extremely effective at keeping the core temperature above hypothermia. Hypothermia usually only sets in when shivering is either hindered (person is passed out) or if a person is in water (you can’t raise the temperature of water through shivering). Movement also heats up the body so a chikd screaming, crying etc as we all know heats the child up.

When a child is hot the only thing that relieves the core temperature from rising is sweating. The sweat evaporates off the skin lowering the body temp. In a closed environment like a hot car, sweating does not lower the internal temperature fast enough and without air circulation evaporation is not happening.

It is much much easier to die in a hot car because it happens VERY quickly.
Cat Herder 10:56 AM 06-27-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
We had this discussion in another thread actually!.
We did, it was mine. I don't think we got into this particular aspect too deeply. It definately got me thinking more deeply on it, though.
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89515
hwichlaz 01:31 PM 06-27-2018
A bundled up child will survive in a freezing car much longer than a child will survive a hot car.
Cat Herder 01:37 PM 06-27-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
A bundled up child will survive in a freezing car much longer than a child will survive a hot car.
How many parents are still buckling them in in coats though?

They have been teaching parents not to do this in birthing centers and pediatricians offices for well over 10 years, now. No coats in carseats to prevent ejection fatalities is pretty standard fare.
storybookending 01:39 PM 06-27-2018

They have been teaching parents not to do this in birthing centers and pediatricians offices for well over 10 years, now. No coats in carseats to prevent ejection fatalities is pretty standard fare.
Of my 6 daycare families only one actually does the noncoats in the car thing. I think it’s WAY less common to not wear a coat.
Cat Herder 01:42 PM 06-27-2018
Of my 6 daycare families only one actually does the noncoats in the car thing. I think it’s WAY less common to not wear a coat.
That is horrific to me.
Ariana 02:08 PM 06-27-2018

My kids wear coats and so do most kids here. I choose one of those puffer jackets that you can roll up and fit in your pocket. It is designed to reduce way down in size. This way I can pull the straps tights and it is rated to -35C. Most parents use regular parkas. If a parent doesn’t use a coat they have the coat over them or a carseat poncho or something to keep them warm.

Even in a car without a coat I believe with shivering and contained environment the child would survive in the daytime at least 8 hours.
Country Kids 03:22 PM 06-27-2018

Most people still keep the children in coats I believe. Most of mine pop out with theirs still on. Maybe this is why we don't read about children dying in the cars in the winter because they are so bundled up.
storybookending 05:04 PM 06-27-2018
That is horrific to me.
I mean I am in WI so maybe that makes a difference? Interested if BC reads this if she notices a majority of her dcks coming in/leaving wearing coats. What state are you in again CH? I am thinking TN for some reason but that may be someone else. I first only heard of the coats and car seats thing being a no no in the last 2-3 years or so. A lot of my parents have no clue.
Blackcat31 07:19 PM 06-27-2018
I mean I am in WI so maybe that makes a difference? Interested if BC reads this if she notices a majority of her dcks coming in/leaving wearing coats. What state are you in again CH? I am thinking TN for some reason but that may be someone else. I first only heard of the coats and car seats thing being a no no in the last 2-3 years or so. A lot of my parents have no clue.
I’ve had a few parents use alternate options instead of a heavy winter coat but a majority of my parents keep coats on their kids.

I’m aware of the coat/no coat topic but I guess I always categorized it like a co-sleeping/own bed type thing. More of a choice vs safety recommendation.

It wasn’t something discussed when my own children were young and I’ve never transported DCK’s so I’m not too “up to date” on this issue. I’m not required to take current training if I don’t transport.

I just notice almost all my DCKs arrive and leave in full winter gear during that season.
Country Kids 07:25 AM 06-28-2018
No, where we live can get extremely cold and snowy depending on where you live in the state but where I live it is more a damp, rainy cold. Kids still wear pretty big jackets, raincoats or sweatshirts.

I really haven't heard much about the coat and car seat thing till maybe 2 winters ago but my kids always wore coats when in their carseats.
Cat Herder 07:33 AM 06-28-2018
Extreme NE Ga Mtns (we often go to TN for lunch). Falling off mountains (no guard rails, crumbling shoulders) and being ejected is a common cause of death here. Mostly tourists.

Maybe it is a regional thing.
Annalee 07:36 AM 06-28-2018
Extreme NE Ga Mtns. Falling off mountains (no guard rails, crumbling shoulders) and being ejected is a common cause of death here. Mostly tourists.

Maybe it is a regional thing.
I will be coming to Blue Ridge Ga in August...it is decoration and we have lots of Family buried there. My grandparents were raised there but migrated to Tennessee before I came along.
Cat Herder 07:42 AM 06-28-2018
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I will be coming to Blue Ridge Ga in August...it is decoration and we have lots of Family buried there. My grandparents were raised there but migrated to Tennessee before I came along.
Good timing. The rodeo, cruise ins, hard cider and beer festivals happen then.

September - October is also awesome with the blues, apple, sorghum, Fall and BBQ festivals.
Annalee 07:45 AM 06-28-2018
Good timing. The rodeo, cruise ins, hard cider and beer festivals happen then.

September - October is also awesome with the blues, apple, sorghum, Fall and BBQ festivals.
We like going to that place you get all those fried pies and fruit where they intertwine the pear-apple trees. We rent a cabin and there is usually 20-30 of us so it is a good time for all!
Cat Herder 07:50 AM 06-28-2018
Originally Posted by Annalee:
We like going to that place you get all those fried pies and fruit where they intertwine the pear-apple trees. We rent a cabin and there is usually 20-30 of us so it is a good time for all!
Mercier
Annalee 07:51 AM 06-28-2018
Mercier
Yep.. I was just googling for the name cause I couldn't remember
Tags:bonding, distracted parents, hot car death, hot car deaths, oxytocin
Reply Up