Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pull Ups or Diapers?
Jo123ABC 12:18 PM 07-03-2018
I'm curious about whether other daycare providers require pull ups during potty training or if you're okay with using diapers?
happymom 12:36 PM 07-03-2018
I'm not a provider but I used Huggies Pull-On Diapers instead of pull ups with no problems.

Using regular diapers is a PITA and I would not allow it for a potty training child.
Cat Herder 12:49 PM 07-03-2018
Diapers.

Pull-Ups leak horribly and are more expensive.

Most of the pressure from parents for providers to potty train early, for them, comes from the cost of diapers.

The majority of child abuse cases in child care are related to the pressure from parents for providers to potty train early for them.

Anything that takes the pressure off potty training benefits kids, parents and providers.
Josiegirl 03:30 PM 07-03-2018
Diapers until they're almost fully trained, then they can switch to pull-ups if parents so choose. I find all those weeks and months of training before everybody is truly on the same page and dcks truly want to learn, is both a waste of my time and the parents' money on using pull-ups. They end up going through them as quickly as diapers at more cost, ridiculous.
hwichlaz 05:00 PM 07-03-2018
Pull ups are great for catching occaissional accidents, like naptime or car trips...but they are not meant to work as a diaper and will leak poop or a full pee.
Ariana 05:27 PM 07-03-2018
Diapers if the kid is just learning and is not really ready and pullups when mom says there are no accidents at home . I personally find they hold way more pee and poop than regular diapers. My own 4 yr old was in a pullup and I tested this theory thoroughly!

Usually pullups are only used a few days here before I ditch them. In my opinion they do not impact potty training at all. Parents provide them.
e.j. 05:28 PM 07-03-2018
I have kids in diapers for the same reasons everyone else listed. I can't stand using Pull-Ups on a kid that isn't almost fully trained.
Magic 02:02 PM 07-04-2018
I can not stand the things
I think they do not work as well as diapers they leak and pooh will ride up back easier
other problem I have is parents have their children wear them way too early, before the potty training stage
teaches the child to use them and feel comfortable using them instead of the potty
totally defeats the reason for them
I have one here today that arrived in a pull up , who is 18 months old we have months before this child will show signs of potty training
plus with a house full of children they take way too much time to deal with , pants off, pull on , pants on and so on
Snowmom 06:17 AM 07-05-2018
I allow (and require) pull ups only when the child is 100% ready to train and all the signs of readiness are present.

I personally prefer diapers over them. I can pull off a soiled diaper with the kid standing up and put a new one on the same way SOO much easier than a pull up. But then they won’t gain the independence skills the pull ups give them. So- pull ups!
mamamanda 07:42 AM 07-05-2018
It depends on the stage of training for me. My own DD is newly 2 & she tells me when she has to poop & uses the potty consistently. She also pees in the potty several times a day but doesn't always tell me. So... we're using pull-ups. She can take them up & down independently & often wears one most of the day, but it catches the accidents which still happen at least once a day. If a kid is not telling me at all, I'd rather save money with diapers.
Leigh 08:52 AM 07-05-2018
I use diapers until I feel that a child is actually potty trained. Pull ups and poops do NOT mix! They can use pull ups at nap time or for a few weeks after potty training to be sure they're protected from accidents, but potty training here is done with diapers because it is easier for me.
Georgiads 08:09 AM 07-07-2018
Originally Posted by happymom:
I'm not a provider but I used Huggies Pull-On Diapers instead of pull ups with no problems.

Using regular diapers is a PITA and I would not allow it for a potty training child.

I use Huggies slip on Diaper Pants for my Autistic 3 year old. They are excellent! The can slip on like a pull up but the sides come apart easily for messy changes. They also have tabs to close the diaper.

While I can but standard diapers in my son’s size the construction of the diaper/pull up is better for an active child. With regular diapers all the pressure is on the skinny tab, with this product the fit is much better. Also it holds liquid like a diaper.

If you have late trainers I would definitely recommend this product. Due to my son’s autism he is not ready to train so these are a wonderful middle ground.
happymom 10:59 AM 07-09-2018
Originally Posted by Georgiads:
I use Huggies slip on Diaper Pants for my Autistic 3 year old. They are excellent! The can slip on like a pull up but the sides come apart easily for messy changes. They also have tabs to close the diaper.

While I can but standard diapers in my son’s size the construction of the diaper/pull up is better for an active child. With regular diapers all the pressure is on the skinny tab, with this product the fit is much better. Also it holds liquid like a diaper.

If you have late trainers I would definitely recommend this product. Due to my son’s autism he is not ready to train so these are a wonderful middle ground.

They are great for early trainers as well. My son wore the size 3 when he was much too small for traditional pull ups.
kidsncats 08:13 PM 07-16-2018
I don't like pull-ups. Leaky, messy and expensive. If parents PUSH toilet learning then I will have them provide 3 changes of underwear, and pants plus socks. Also 3 pair of plastic pants to wear over the underwear. No snaps, straps, belts or buckles! The soiled clothing goes home in a bag. I don't rinse out for sanitary reasons and this is fine with my licencor.

Keeping in mind toilet learning is a skill that is attained when the child is ready, pushing the child at home to "train" to use the toilet doesn't always pan out at daycare.
Meeko 10:53 AM 07-22-2018
I feel that potty training means the child is learning to tend to their needs THEMSELVES. So some form of easy up and down disposable underwear is required.

Pee just pools in plastic pants, so I don't use them. Disposable only.
Tags:diapers vs pull-ups, potty training, pull on diapers, pull ups
Reply Up