Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm Probably Going to Lose My Job Today
Unregistered 10:28 AM 03-22-2012
I've been working in childcare for 7 years now but this has been my first year working with only school-age kids at a center. Every day I walk about 26 kids from the school to the center. (2-3 blocks.) As I was leaving the school after counting and making sure I had everyone, a child left the line to go back into the building to use the bathroom (they aren't allowed to do this.) Another child alerted me almost immediatly, so I stopped the line at the fence and we began to turn around and go back. As we were returning the child saw us and ran across the street alone to join us. I disciplined the child. (They lose "points" and earn "points" depending on behavior.) I was very upset because this child knows better. Yesterday my boss alerted me that the child's parent called and complained, saying "I left their child behind." Obviously I did not intend to and I corrected the error in about 1-2 minutes of realizing what had happened. Our company has a zero tolerance policy for safety or supervision lapses so I'm either going to get written up or fired today. My boss said she was going to interview the kids and my co-workers later this afternoon and then speak with me. I'm preparing myself for the worst at this point.

The past few months I've been really reconsidering my role as a childcare provider, it seems like I can't do anything right, no matter how hard I try I still get parent complaints every month or so. A parent said she saw a child crying and no one was comforting him-I was not comforting him because he was throwing a tantrum! If they are having a fit I remove them from the group and allow them time to calm down before I address their behavior!!!! I am so upset with how parents leave their children in our care for 2 hours in the morning, then kid is in school, then with me until 6:30pm, and they still find fault with me. I do so much for their kids and it goes completely unnoticed. I rarely get so much as a "thank you."

I guess I'm just venting, and i'm so heartbroken about this. I guess i'll wait and see what my boss has to say this afternoon.
godiva83 10:49 AM 03-22-2012
Sorry you are going thru this (
Realistically, the centre should get in trouble or your supervisor for not having 2 staff for a group that large ecspecially outdoors.

School age in my opinion is a very difficult age group, and if their parents aren't supportive of you and your classroom rules makes it even harder.
Also, your supervisor doesn't seem very supportive of you and the way you run your classroom. I know if I had complaints about a room every month of course I would interview, observe and discuss with the teacher, and if they were sound decisions I would explain to the parents the ways the classroom works and I support my staff 100% to squish trivial complaints made by parents.

However, I do agree at no tolerance for lack of supervision or safety but the way you described the situation I wouldn't fire you i would send a support staff along for pickups one at the front of the line one at the back - and I would write myself up for not following proper ratios
Unregistered 10:53 AM 03-22-2012
I agree. I need another staff member during walk time-it's just too much to handle.
Ariana 10:56 AM 03-22-2012
If you did everything you could regarding the sitation then I wouldn't apologize for my actions. Accidents happen.

I'm sorry but walking 26 kids BY YOURSELF without incidents is an extremely innapropriate expectation IMO. I'd be reviewing those policies with my supervisor ASAP.
littlemissmuffet 11:23 AM 03-22-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Every day I walk about 26 kids from the school to the center. (2-3 blocks.)
How is this even legal? ANYWHERE?
Meeko 11:51 AM 03-22-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
How is this even legal? ANYWHERE?
Exactly.

You may have a case for unfair dismissal if they fire you. Expecting you to walk that many children by yourself can't possibly be legal!
nannyde 12:02 PM 03-22-2012
It's so dangerous to have that many kids alone with one adult inside the building much less outside. Of course that's going to fall apart. Having the highest risk age group alone with an adult outside and have 26 of them is beyond the pale negligent. So dangerous.
Greenplasticwateringcans 12:30 PM 03-22-2012
Originally Posted by nannyde:
It's so dangerous to have that many kids alone with one adult inside the building much less outside. Of course that's going to fall apart. Having the highest risk age group alone with an adult outside and have 26 of them is beyond the pale negligent. So dangerous.
Totally agree!

They were asking the impossible of you. What is the licensing requirements for that many children? I'd check into that even if you do get fired and call in a complaint.
Hunni Bee 12:35 PM 03-22-2012
I've been working in childcare for 7 years now but this has been my first year working with only school-age kids at a center. Every day I walk about 26 kids from the school to the center. (2-3 blocks.) As I was leaving the school after counting and making sure I had everyone, a child left the line to go back into the building to use the bathroom (they aren't allowed to do this.) Another child alerted me almost immediatly, so I stopped the line at the fence and we began to turn around and go back. As we were returning the child saw us and ran across the street alone to join us. I disciplined the child. (They lose "points" and earn "points" depending on behavior.) I was very upset because this child knows better. Yesterday my boss alerted me that the child's parent called and complained, saying "I left their child behind." Obviously I did not intend to and I corrected the error in about 1-2 minutes of realizing what had happened. Our company has a zero tolerance policy for safety or supervision lapses so I'm either going to get written up or fired today. My boss said she was going to interview the kids and my co-workers later this afternoon and then speak with me. I'm preparing myself for the worst at this point.

The past few months I've been really reconsidering my role as a childcare provider, it seems like I can't do anything right, no matter how hard I try I still get parent complaints every month or so. A parent said she saw a child crying and no one was comforting him-I was not comforting him because he was throwing a tantrum! If they are having a fit I remove them from the group and allow them time to calm down before I address their behavior!!!! I am so upset with how parents leave their children in our care for 2 hours in the morning, then kid is in school, then with me until 6:30pm, and they still find fault with me. I do so much for their kids and it goes completely unnoticed. I rarely get so much as a "thank you."

I guess I'm just venting, and i'm so heartbroken about this. I guess i'll wait and see what my boss has to say this afternoon.
I work at a center, and I totally know what you are going through. I know the extreme stress of being expected to operate out of ratio, and then everything coming down on your head when something happens.

Please document this situation for your own records and if you are let go, I'd make a licensing report. Your director will likely make it seem to the parents like she "fixed" the problem and just replace you with somebody who she thinks will be able to walk 26 children alone and be quiet about it.

Hugs to you.
Unregistered 12:48 PM 03-22-2012
Thanks everyone for the support. Our ratio is 1:15 and I agree that I need the help of another staff member to do the walk. I will bring up the issue this afternoon and hopefully my boss will realize what a difficult position i'm being put in and I can avoid losing my job. (And thanks to your responses, even if I did-I wouldn't take it lying down!)
nannyde 01:58 PM 03-22-2012
Thanks everyone for the support. Our ratio is 1:15 and I agree that I need the help of another staff member to do the walk. I will bring up the issue this afternoon and hopefully my boss will realize what a difficult position i'm being put in and I can avoid losing my job. (And thanks to your responses, even if I did-I wouldn't take it lying down!)
You need to find out what the regs are for off campus adult supervision. My state requires additional adults on top of the ratio requirement for any activity off campus.
Meeko 01:58 PM 03-22-2012
Good for you!

I would also make sure you talk to the parents of your class too and make sure they all know that after the incident you insisted on more help. Let the blame fall on the administration. They are lucky the child wasn't seriously hurt. What did they expect you to do...leave the other kids and chase after one????

I am sure your boss would love to label you as "the provider who lost control" to the parents.

Re-label yourself as "the provider who insisted on safety for the kids and demanded help"
saved4always 02:22 PM 03-22-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
If you did everything you could regarding the sitation then I wouldn't apologize for my actions. Accidents happen.

I'm sorry but walking 26 kids BY YOURSELF without incidents is an extremely innapropriate expectation IMO. I'd be reviewing those policies with my supervisor ASAP.
I totally agree! There should be another adult with that many kids walking outdoors...I would say one at the front and one at the back of the line! What are you supposed to do if you need to do something with one of the kids, like they fall down going out the door and you need to take them back into the school to stop the blood??? Do you take the whole line of kids with you back and forth? Or what if something happened to you??? Only one adult for 26 kids does not allow for anything untoward to happen. I think this is your supervisor's mistake and she needs to fix it. If you get fired, I would look into whether you can do something legally to fight it.
saved4always 02:25 PM 03-22-2012
Wow...so you are almost double over ratio and that is while walking these kids to and from school!!!!!???? That is so not safe! The parents should be irate about the center doing this.
Unregistered 02:29 PM 03-22-2012
Unfortunately I am an at-will employee, so I can be fired for any reason (unless it is because of my race or some other such discrimination.) Only a few more hours till I head into work and find out what will happen. I feel ready to express my concerns as well. I honestly think the only reason my boss even cares is because a parent made a complaint.
Snapdragon 03:43 PM 03-22-2012
Sorry you are going through this. I think it is totally unacceptable for one person to be responsible for 26 school age kids, particularly if it involves crossing streets! It sounds like you did everything you possibly could to ensure the children's safety, but ultimately the administration is responsible --they should have assigned another staff member to go with you. I've worked with school-aged kids before and I can assure you that any time we went outside, we were required to have two teachers.
Greenplasticwateringcans 03:45 PM 03-22-2012
Best of luck! Update when you can and stay strong
MizzCheryl 04:19 PM 03-22-2012
I am thinking of you! I hope you really stood up for yourself. Don't give up on childcare. You need a better situation. I know you are a great childcare provider. Anyone that could handle 26 kids lie that would have to be. Parents now never think anything is their kids fault so they always wanna jump on adult care provider. It is easier to blame us than it is to make their kids behave and respect authority. Best of luck.
Preschool/daycare teacher 05:05 PM 03-22-2012
Let us know how things went today. I really feel for you. I agree with the others that you shouldn't feel like you're not a good childcare provider. You just need to find one that follows the state regulations. I worked at a preschool/childcare (center ran) before I came where I am now, and within just about 6 months of being there I had about convinced myself that I wasn't cut out for childcare. If it wasn't for love of the children, I probably would have quit, thinking I couldn't do the job needed. I was so unhappy there, feeling like I couldn't do anything right. Now that I'm where I am now, and after taking CDA classes and doing a lot of research on regulations, etc, I now know that they expected more than they should have at the other place. The director would leave me alone with a mixed age group, and a lot of times, have me take over the 12-24 month old class, when I had very little experience and no training in that age group and hadn't even been hired for that age group (I was hired for the preschool age group). Then when things didn't go exactly as she wanted, she'd get really stern and tell me she didn't know what she was going to do, if I couldn't even handle a few children (I know now that it was a little bit over ratio for both, a toddler group and for a mixed age group). Since I am where I am now, I have realized that this line of work is exactly where I am at my best. Even when the paychecks are barely enough to survive on, I realize that I wouldn't be this happy at any other line of work, so the lower pay is worth it...most of the time... I hope you are able to discover how good you really are with your job, even if you have to go somewhere else (that follows the regs) to find out.
familyschoolcare 05:46 PM 03-22-2012
Originally Posted by nannyde:
You need to find out what the regs are for off campus adult supervision. My state requires additional adults on top of the ratio requirement for any activity off campus.
This is what I was going to say
Kim 08:45 PM 03-22-2012
I hope things worked out okay for you today or that at least you stood your ground regarding the ratio regulations. That's far too many children for one adult!

In one post you said you don't think you're cut out for daycare because you can't do anything right. Perhaps it's not that at all. Perhaps it's the place you are working that needs to be changed.
Unregistered 01:15 PM 03-23-2012
She'll be coming in to speak with me today. I will definitely stand my ground about what has been going on.
MamaBear 02:24 PM 03-23-2012
I hope everything works out for you. That really sucks. I'm glad your going to stand your ground and be strong! Good luck this afternoon.
Bella99 10:08 PM 03-24-2012
How'd it go??
Michael 02:03 AM 03-25-2012
She'll be coming in to speak with me today. I will definitely stand my ground about what has been going on.
Let us know how it went. We support you.
Unregistered 01:06 PM 03-26-2012
My boss still has not come in yet. (Totally unprofessional, in my opinion.)

I've lost sleep over this and I haven't gotten so much as a call, email, or visit from her-yet. I'm assuming i've dodged the bullet since if it was urgent she would have spoken to me by now in person. If she doesn't contact me this week i'll go ahead and reach out to her myself to update her about how I am no longer walking that many kids alone.

Since the initial phone call from her, both myself and my co-worker have begun doing the walk together, even though it makes coming back into the room harder. (We share a room with the school so what we usually did before is one person got the kids and the other person set up tables/snack, etc.) I'm happy with my choice and my co-worker agrees its something we should have been doing all along.

I will keep this thread updated and THANK YOU for the support and having my back on this. I DO NOT want to give up childcare, I was just feeling overwhelmed.
Blackcat31 01:58 PM 03-26-2012
My boss still has not come in yet. (Totally unprofessional, in my opinion.)

I've lost sleep over this and I haven't gotten so much as a call, email, or visit from her-yet. I'm assuming i've dodged the bullet since if it was urgent she would have spoken to me by now in person. If she doesn't contact me this week i'll go ahead and reach out to her myself to update her about how I am no longer walking that many kids alone.

Since the initial phone call from her, both myself and my co-worker have begun doing the walk together, even though it makes coming back into the room harder. (We share a room with the school so what we usually did before is one person got the kids and the other person set up tables/snack, etc.) I'm happy with my choice and my co-worker agrees its something we should have been doing all along.

I will keep this thread updated and THANK YOU for the support and having my back on this. I DO NOT want to give up childcare, I was just feeling overwhelmed.
I am sorry to hear that your boss is behaving as she is. I am glad though that you and a co-worker were able to address and fix the issue of being alone during walks.

I do hope things work out for you! You should feel good knowing that you did the right thing though in trying to address this on your own since your boss has not done so. Especially since the issue involves the safety of children.

Please continue to update us when your boss does finally come in.... In the meantime, hang in there!
saved4always 05:04 PM 03-26-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am sorry to hear that your boss is behaving as she is. I am glad though that you and a co-worker were able to address and fix the issue of being alone during walks.

I do hope things work out for you! You should feel good knowing that you did the right thing though in trying to address this on your own since your boss has not done so. Especially since the issue involves the safety of children.

Please continue to update us when your boss does finally come in.... In the meantime, hang in there!
Ditto this.
Tags:parents - don't appreciate
Reply Up