Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"Where is Pointer"
Brooksie 12:07 PM 09-11-2013
Does any one go through the whole family of fingers? I just can't seem to get past the thumb and pointer without feeling inappropriate. I know the kids dont (or shouldn't) know what the middle finger represents but I also don't want them to go home singing "here is tall man" with their middle fingers raised high to their parents kwim? Does any one still do this finger play?
AcornMama 12:13 PM 09-11-2013
When I used to do this with my little ones, we would hold up both hands with fingers spread far apart. Then for each finger we'd wiggle that one. I also didn't like tall man standing up there by himself, so this was a good alternative. I know it wouldn't mean anything to the kids, but still.

I still have to remind a couple of my kids to point with their pointer. For some reason, they want to point with tall man, and don't get why I keep correcting them.
Brooksie 01:20 PM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by AcornMama:
When I used to do this with my little ones, we would hold up both hands with fingers spread far apart. Then for each finger we'd wiggle that one. I also didn't like tall man standing up there by himself, so this was a good alternative. I know it wouldn't mean anything to the kids, but still.

I still have to remind a couple of my kids to point with their pointer. For some reason, they want to point with tall man, and don't get why I keep correcting them.
I do the same thing, holding both hands up and holding them far a part and wiggling them towards each other but I still dont feel right lol
TheGoodLife 01:28 PM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by AcornMama:

That's exactly what I do, too!
harperluu 01:31 PM 09-11-2013
I do it with each finger individually. Juveniles and adults have attached that meaning to that finger. It is a part of their bodies and they should have no shame in any of their body parts. I haven't had any family complaints. It's also good for their fine motor skills for them to learn to isolate each of those fingers and practice using the muscles and tendons that hold the others down.
JenNJ 01:58 PM 09-11-2013
He is called Tall One and I just name them all on their own. It's just a finger. I doubt any toddlers are flipping off their parents at dinner, lol.
Familycare71 02:00 PM 09-11-2013
I always called him middle!!! That's how I learned it when I was little-
Cradle2crayons 03:17 PM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by harperluu:
I do it with each finger individually. Juveniles and adults have attached that meaning to that finger. It is a part of their bodies and they should have no shame in any of their body parts. I haven't had any family complaints. It's also good for their fine motor skills for them to learn to isolate each of those fingers and practice using the muscles and tendons that hold the others down.
same here!!
Reply Up