Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is There Anything More Stressful....
Rockgirl 09:19 AM 11-05-2014
Than watching a child try to put together a wooden tray puzzle, and helping guide them along with it?

"Yes, that piece looks like it goes there. Try turning it around. No, don't turn it over--turn it around. Just a little turn. Maybe the other way. One more turn. Oops, that was too far. Yes, there you go--no, don't take it out--you had it! Ok, try turning it....."
Soccermom 09:26 AM 11-05-2014
LOL

So true!

Doing puzzles with little ones makes me crazy!
ColorfulSunburst 09:52 AM 11-05-2014
anecdote:
A daycare teacher was putting shoes on kid's feet. It took a lot of time. She sweated. When she done the kid said that she done that in a wrong way. The teacher started to take shoes off. It also was difficult. Then she put them on in the correct way. Unfortunately the kid said: The shoes doesn't belong me. The teacher bite her lip but said nothing and took kid's shoes off. When she done the kid said: the shoes belong to my oldest brother but today my mom asked me to wear them. The teacher face turned to red. She put the shoes on kid's feet again. It was really very difficult. The shoes were very tight. Then she asked: Where are your mittens? The kid answered: I stuffed them in the toes of the shoes...
A court hearing will be held next week...
Rockgirl 10:27 AM 11-05-2014
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
anecdote:
A daycare teacher was putting shoes on kid's feet. It took a lot of time. She sweated. When she done the kid said that she done that in a wrong way. The teacher started to take shoes off. It also was difficult. Then she put them on in the correct way. Unfortunately the kid said: The shoes doesn't belong me. The teacher bite her lip but said nothing and took kid's shoes off. When she done the kid said: the shoes belong to my oldest brother but today my mom asked me to wear them. The teacher face turned to red. She put the shoes on kid's feet again. It was really very difficult. The shoes were very tight. Then she asked: Where are your mittens? The kid answered: I stuffed them in the toes of the shoes...
Lol! I think we've all had days like that!
Blackcat31 11:25 AM 11-05-2014
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
anecdote:

Rockgirl 11:30 AM 11-05-2014
I guess it sounds like I hover over the kids while they do puzzles--I really don't, but if they've been trying for awhile and ask for help, I will assist them. Until I have an anxiety attack, anyway!
e.j. 11:43 AM 11-05-2014
Originally Posted by when is naptime?:
I guess it sounds like I hover over the kids while they do puzzles--I really don't, but if they've been trying for awhile and ask for help, I will assist them. Until I have an anxiety attack, anyway!
I don't hover over the kids, either, but I know exactly what you're talking about! It sometimes get to the point where I just want to grab the puzzle piece out of their hands and put it in the right place for them. l That's when I know it's time to say, "You just keep trying, little Johnny. I know you'll figure it out." - while I quickly walk away and find something else to do.
Rockgirl 11:48 AM 11-05-2014
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I don't hover over the kids, either, but I know exactly what you're talking about! It sometimes get to the point where I just want to grab the puzzle piece out of their hands and put it in the right place for them. l That's when I know it's time to say, "You just keep trying, little Johnny. I know you'll figure it out." - while I quickly walk away and find something else to do.
Yes, exactly!
Unregistered 02:51 PM 11-05-2014
To the OP, that's not how you "teach" a child how to do a puzzle. If a child has to be told how to do it, the puzzle is either too hard for them or they're not ready for puzzles (if it's like say a four piece puzzle). I love easter. I'll never forget I brought in this cute bunny puzzle when I student teaching the day before Spring/Easter break. A child broke a piece and laughed and then started breaking other pieces on purpose. I screamed "THAT'S NOT HOW YOU DO IT!!!!!!!!!!". My cooperating teacher could tell I lost it that day. She gently reminded me not to bring int things I would be upset if broken. She reminded me how we model puzzles for students, not tell them how to do it.
Rockgirl 03:27 PM 11-05-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
To the OP, that's not how you "teach" a child how to do a puzzle. If a child has to be told how to do it, the puzzle is either too hard for them or they're not ready for puzzles (if it's like say a four piece puzzle). I love easter. I'll never forget I brought in this cute bunny puzzle when I student teaching the day before Spring/Easter break. A child broke a piece and laughed and then started breaking other pieces on purpose. I screamed "THAT'S NOT HOW YOU DO IT!!!!!!!!!!". My cooperating teacher could tell I lost it that day. She gently reminded me not to bring int things I would be upset if broken. She reminded me how we model puzzles for students, not tell them how to do it.
Um, this post was all in fun. I know my kids and which puzzles they can handle, but this was just me making fun of my own quirk of getting anxious over a child's wooden puzzle.
ColorfulSunburst 03:34 PM 11-05-2014
To the OP, that's not how you "teach" a child how to do a puzzle.If a child has to be told how to do it, the puzzle is either too hard for them or they're not ready for puzzles
ooooh, yes!
we have to wait till children "get ready" for puzzle, for potty, for everything....
My DC children are 20 m.o.- 3 y.o. and I teach them how to work with puzzles by showing and describing an algorithm and secrets of the process. In a couple weeks after "wrong teaching" all of them "suddenly get ready" for puzzles and it doesn't depend of their age.
What am I doing wrong?

Unregistered 03:56 PM 11-05-2014
If you want to sit for "weeks" telling them how to do puzzles, you can since it's your business. That's not how I spend my time. PLEASE, take a seat. You just compared what separates humans from other animals (the way we depose of our waste) to a toy.
ColorfulSunburst 04:08 PM 11-05-2014
If you want to sit for "weeks" telling them how to do puzzles, you can since it's your business. That's not how I spend my time. PLEASE, take a seat. You just compared what separates humans from other animals (the way we depose of our waste) to a toy.
3 weeks ago I got a new 3y.o. kid here. He was "not ready for anything". His parents provide a bottle with cereal for him. Now he eats by using spoon and fork, puts his shoes on and off, starts pee in the potty most of time .....
Of course all this "suddenly" happen because I spent my time by showing and teaching him how to do all of that day by day and didn't wait when he "gets ready".
Rockgirl 04:09 PM 11-05-2014
Good grief. The child had put together all but two pieces of the puzzle, and got stumped, so I guided him. I wasn't asking for advice--just having fun with the post.
AuntTami 05:34 PM 11-05-2014
Actually, I think it's our opposable thumbs and a few other characteristics that separates us from "other animals", but what do I know?

I *teach wrong* too...

I'm currently *teaching* my 15mo DCB what shapes go in which holes on ones of his toys (the one where the square block goes in the square hole, the round one in the round hole etc..)...

I'm repeating similar phrases over and over. "Try turning it the other way, try a different spot, that's where the red one goes, no you can't force it to go in, that's the spot for the purple one" I feel your pain
Rockgirl 07:05 PM 11-05-2014
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
Actually, I think it's our opposable thumbs and a few other characteristics that separates us from "other animals", but what do I know?

I *teach wrong* too...

I'm currently *teaching* my 15mo DCB what shapes go in which holes on ones of his toys (the one where the square block goes in the square hole, the round one in the round hole etc..)...

I'm repeating similar phrases over and over. "Try turning it the other way, try a different spot, that's where the red one goes, no you can't force it to go in, that's the spot for the purple one" I feel your pain
Yeah, I guess I've been doing it wrong for over 20 years! Lol.
daycare 07:55 PM 11-05-2014
How dare you guys challenge a kid. Lol

😺

What a cute post. Thanks for making my day. It's been really long and stressful
Unregistered 09:17 PM 11-05-2014
I think this why I see a lot of hostility towards real teachers and getting ECE education (via college or training). You guys really don't get it. Telling a child step by step by step by step isn't challenging them. If they're really grasping with a TOY for WEEKS, it is too hard for them. Gosh forbid you spend money on toys that are appropriate for that child or do something developmentally appropriate. I don't know where you guys are pulling life skills into this. I'm talking about puzzles.
daycare 10:00 PM 11-05-2014
I think this why I see a lot of hostility towards real teachers and getting ECE education (via college or training). You guys really don't get it. Telling a child step by step by step by step isn't challenging them. If they're really grasping with a TOY for WEEKS, it is too hard for them. Gosh forbid you spend money on toys that are appropriate for that child or do something developmentally appropriate. I don't know where you guys are pulling life skills into this. I'm talking about puzzles.
Okie dokie.
Thanks for the advice ��
jgcp 10:58 PM 11-05-2014

Unregistered , this is not how you "teach" someone to do a job, by belittling something that was supposed to be laughed about ( she said she was making fun of herself for the way she was acting about it) and thats OK and AWSOME when we can laugh at ourselves!! and when a child can do MOST of the puzzle and a few peices are a challenge THATS OK TOO, how else will they learn?

But the orginal post is hilarious and i laughed super hard!
Josiegirl 02:36 AM 11-06-2014
OP, that's exactly how I feel too! I will be asked by the 3 1/2 yo to 'help' her with the puzzle but it's mainly watching her because heaven forbid if I touch a piece for real.
And unreg., I don't think YOU get it. This was supposed to be a funny post, not 'an up in your face this is how it's supposed to be done' post.

There is something that we should all possess working with children and it's called a sense of humor.
Rockgirl 04:06 AM 11-06-2014
Thanks for the kind words, ladies.
Elko 04:33 AM 11-06-2014
I figure playing with toys they're not quite ready for isn't reform necessarily awaste of time as they get to hear you use words they might not know yet,and things see how things feel in their hands. They'll make it pretty Obvious if they just can't handle it.
Wednesday! 05:23 AM 11-06-2014
Than watching a child try to put together a wooden tray puzzle, and helping guide them along with it?

"Yes, that piece looks like it goes there. Try turning it around. No, don't turn it over--turn it around. Just a little turn. Maybe the other way. One more turn. Oops, that was too far. Yes, there you go--no, don't take it out--you had it! Ok, try turning it....."
Omg thank you so much for making me laugh out loud first thing this morning! I mean, truly laugh!!
Wednesday! 05:32 AM 11-06-2014
And I just read unregistered's posts. Get the stick out of your butt, lady. We're just having fun here. Idk how you could possibly read the op and NOT laugh.
Meyou 05:37 AM 11-06-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday2:
And I just read unregistered's posts. Get the stick out of your butt, lady. We're just having fun here. Idk how you could possibly read the op and NOT laugh.
She must have paid for her ECE degree with her sense of humor.

I have 4 year olds that can do 150 piece puzzles by themselves in 20 minutes by teaching them the wrong way. I have 2 year olds that whip through 24-48 piece puzzles too. Even my 14 month old is successful with 9-12 piece wooden puzzles. Must be doing something horribly wrong over here too!
Rockgirl 05:40 AM 11-06-2014

And after he finished the puzzle with help, he immediately dumped it back out and did it by himself. But next time I'll just hand him a rattle.
Wednesday! 06:34 AM 11-06-2014

You guys are hilarious! Paid for her degree with her sense of humor... Hand him a rattle... I'm dying!

I also have an ECE degree and I've never, in my whole time as a student, heard or read that you shouldn't offer any help or direction to a child working on a puzzle. Isn't that kind of what we're here for? To help guide them and encourage their development? Idk, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I got my degree out of a Cracker Jacks box.
Rockgirl 07:20 AM 11-06-2014
This job would be pretty dreadful if we couldn't laugh, right?
Wednesday! 07:49 AM 11-06-2014
This job would be pretty dreadful if we couldn't laugh, right?
EXACTLY! It would also be dreadful if we had to work all day with sticks up our butts.
Blackcat31 07:56 AM 11-06-2014
*sigh*

SMH

Thanks for reminding me why I've been avoiding this place lately.
Unregistered 07:59 AM 11-06-2014
...when a good post goes bad...
Rockgirl 08:19 AM 11-06-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
*sigh*

SMH

I really was just trying to be lighthearted....I didn't think it would turn out like this. Sorry. :/ And I shouldn't have kept responding....I should have just let it die down.
Unregistered 08:23 AM 11-06-2014
I don't think ignorance is funny. "Oh, she is being developmentally inappropriate?! LMAO" :/
Unregistered 08:26 AM 11-06-2014
Originally Posted by Meyou:
She must have paid for her ECE degree with her sense of humor.

I have 4 year olds that can do 150 piece puzzles by themselves in 20 minutes by teaching them the wrong way. I have 2 year olds that whip through 24-48 piece puzzles too. Even my 14 month old is successful with 9-12 piece wooden puzzles. Must be doing something horribly wrong over here too!
It's if they can do it. I had 3-4 year olds when I worked in hs doing their high school aged sibling's home work, because mom made them do it over and over and over and over again. Do you think they understood any of it? Do you think it helped their development? No. Like I said, I understand. If you don't understand how children develop, you want what's easiest for YOU. A quiet game.
Unregistered 08:28 AM 11-06-2014

You guys are hilarious! Paid for her degree with her sense of humor... Hand him a rattle... I'm dying!

I also have an ECE degree and I've never, in my whole time as a student, heard or read that you shouldn't offer any help or direction to a child working on a puzzle. Isn't that kind of what we're here for? To help guide them and encourage their development? Idk, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I got my degree out of a Cracker Jacks box.
Telling a child step by step by step by step, basically forcing them to do it the right way, isn't what you're describing. I think we all know that. I know the type of backyard daycare being run by MOST members.
Rockgirl 08:30 AM 11-06-2014
I don't think ignorance is funny. "Oh, she is being developmentally inappropriate?! LMAO" :/
I don't appreciate being called ignorant. This thread was meant to be fun--I'm sorry you didn't take it that way, but I'm not ignorant, or developmentally inappropriate with my dck's. With that said, I'm finished. We won't agree, and I already said I shouldn't have responded to the negative, so I will stop. Have a great day!
JoseyJo 08:31 AM 11-06-2014
Telling a child step by step by step by step, basically forcing them to do it the right way, isn't what you're describing. I think we all know that. I know the type of backyard daycare being run by MOST members.
TROLL!!!

Called it first
Unregistered 08:52 AM 11-06-2014
Originally Posted by JoseyJo:
TROLL!!!

Called it first
I'm a troll for wanting to do developmentally appropriate activities instead of what's easiest for me? Says a lot about how your daycare is run...
KiddieCahoots 09:00 AM 11-06-2014
I really was just trying to be lighthearted....I didn't think it would turn out like this. Sorry. :/ And I shouldn't have kept responding....I should have just let it die down.
You did nothing wrong!
I laughed and greatly appreciated your post.
My day started off in a positive way to a post I related to 100%!
Rockgirl 09:09 AM 11-06-2014
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
You did nothing wrong!
I laughed and greatly appreciated your post.
My day started off in a positive way to a post I related to 100%!
Thanks.
daycarediva 09:28 AM 11-06-2014
I have an ECE degree, college, few credits shy of my BA.

I have to ask, if we're doing it wrong, how do YOU approach teaching a child to do a puzzle? What if the child SPECIFICALLY asks you for help when they're nearly finished and just stumped and getting frustrated? WHY was the op's 'try turning it' verbal assistance NOT developmentally appropriate?

For the most part only 2 of my daycare kids like puzzles. One is just two and can do non peg 24 piece puzzles, the other is 4 and is just figuring out the alphabet peg puzzle. The 4yo said, near tears after tying EVERY hole in the puzzle "I can't do this, can you help me?" and I told him to try turning the piece (it was upside down and a letter he doesn't know). He turned it, and I nodded, told him the letter, and he happily went back to trying to match it. When he got it, he had the BIGGEST grin on his face and was SOO happy to show me.

The 2yo's Mom tells her to 'turny turny' and she will sit and say 'turny turny' as she works out every angle.
Unregistered 09:54 AM 11-06-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I have an ECE degree, college, few credits shy of my BA.

I have to ask, if we're doing it wrong, how do YOU approach teaching a child to do a puzzle? What if the child SPECIFICALLY asks you for help when they're nearly finished and just stumped and getting frustrated? WHY was the op's 'try turning it' verbal assistance NOT developmentally appropriate?

For the most part only 2 of my daycare kids like puzzles. One is just two and can do non peg 24 piece puzzles, the other is 4 and is just figuring out the alphabet peg puzzle. The 4yo said, near tears after tying EVERY hole in the puzzle "I can't do this, can you help me?" and I told him to try turning the piece (it was upside down and a letter he doesn't know). He turned it, and I nodded, told him the letter, and he happily went back to trying to match it. When he got it, he had the BIGGEST grin on his face and was SOO happy to show me.

The 2yo's Mom tells her to 'turny turny' and she will sit and say 'turny turny' as she works out every angle.
"Turny turny" (where the child is trying on their own each angle) and a child asking for help, it not what the OP described at all. I can tell most of you didn't finish (or attend) college, because I'm talking oranges here and everyone else wants to talk about apples, bananas, and fruit salads. It just tells me the sort of centers MOST (again not all) are running on these boards. I feel bad for the children.
Meyou 10:00 AM 11-06-2014
"Turny turny" (where the child is trying on their own each angle) and a child asking for help, it not what the OP described at all. I can tell most of you didn't finish (or attend) college, because I'm talking oranges here and everyone else wants to talk about apples, bananas, and fruit salads. It just tells me the sort of centers MOST (again not all) are running on these boards. I feel bad for the children.
If you feel so bad for the children, post under your own name and offer some real suggestions instead of assumptions and insults.
Country Kids 10:04 AM 11-06-2014
Any mods reading this?

Sounds like its getting pretty personal against everyone on here.
Unregistered 10:15 AM 11-06-2014
"If they're really grasping with a TOY for WEEKS, it is too hard for them. Gosh forbid you spend money on toys that are appropriate for that child or do something developmentally appropriate. I don't know where you guys are pulling life skills into this. I'm talking about puzzles."

1. "grasping at a toy for weeks"? No one described a technique where a child could not physically grasp the puzzle piece.

2. "don't know where you guys are pulling life skills into this"? Problem solving. Life skill.

3. Better check that degree.

Done.

:shrugs:
Rockgirl 10:22 AM 11-06-2014
I won't be insulted or offended if a mod chooses to delete this entire thread. It's so far off from how it was intended to be.
taylorw1210 10:23 AM 11-06-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
*sigh*

SMH

I was just thinking I hadn't seen much of you lately.
daycarediva 10:25 AM 11-06-2014
Again, what do you consider developmentally appropriate?

Should op have removed the toy from this child,(essentially saying it's too hard for you) or should she have done what it sounds like she DID, which is offer assistance to help him finish/persevere through the challenge and boost his confidence?

It's impossible to buy toys that JUST meet/exceed the developmental level of a mixed age group.

They also learn HOW to do things by watching their peers.

It IS developmentally appropriate to provide an enriching atmosphere with a responsive, attentive, caring provider-like the OP. Children will attempt anything that they're interested. If they can't complete the puzzle/what have you now, I have children who will not QUIT until they CAN do it. I have others who stop and wait. It's all personality, neither is 'right' or 'wrong'. The child wasn't being FORCED to do something he/she couldn't do.
daycarediva 10:29 AM 11-06-2014
Life skills apply to nearly every situation in ECE. Confidence, self esteem, perseverance, that 'grit' of sticking it out and completing the puzzle, with the help of a trusted adult will only teach that child that

-it's ok to not know how to do everything.
-it's ok to fail.
-it's ok to ask for help.
-I will do better next time.

I can think of 100 adults who need those life lessons.

If all we ever hand kids are things that are easy/not challenging we aren't helping them grow and develop. They will never learn to fail at little things and when big failures come later- tests, applications, etc they will not have the confidence and self esteem to handle those.
Rockgirl 10:32 AM 11-06-2014
I say this all the time, "First, you try. If you need help, you can ask me, but I'd like to see you try first." Many times, they surprise themselves (and me sometimes) by doing it alone, and what a boost for their confidence! But they know it's ok to ask for help. Right or wrong, it's how I do it here, and I will continue to. The original post was just a little dig at myself, that I felt others would relate to, and most did. Thanks, ladies.
KiddieCahoots 10:37 AM 11-06-2014
"If they're really grasping with a TOY for WEEKS, it is too hard for them. Gosh forbid you spend money on toys that are appropriate for that child or do something developmentally appropriate. I don't know where you guys are pulling life skills into this. I'm talking about puzzles."

1. "grasping at a toy for weeks"? No one described a technique where a child could not physically grasp the puzzle piece.

2. "don't know where you guys are pulling life skills into this"? Problem solving. Life skill.

3. Better check that degree.

Done.

:shrugs:
Please be more specific in what you would do.....this does not enlighten me at all.
Blackcat31 10:42 AM 11-06-2014
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Any mods reading this?

Sounds like its getting pretty personal against everyone on here.
Yep. I am reading this and following along.

Confused though why unregistered members are held to a higher standard of behavior than registered users.

Seems to me the personal insults came from registered users first.

Personally, I value registered and unregistered members equally and show the same respect towards both.

We have several "regular" unregistered posters that participate daily/weekly and I have to say I completely understand why they hesitate or refrain from registering.
Blackcat31 10:44 AM 11-06-2014
I won't be insulted or offended if a mod chooses to delete this entire thread. It's so far off from how it was intended to be.
I can't delete it but will close it.

I am sorry your thread was derailed by such silliness.
Closed Thread Up