Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Do you donate blood? Why or why not?
Yes. Explain 11 24.44%
No. Explain 34 75.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT: Do You Donate Blood? Why Or Why Not?
mamac 03:38 PM 08-11-2013
Do you donate blood? Why? Why not?
Cradle2crayons 04:21 PM 08-11-2013
I don't donate whole blood often but when I get a phone call from the children's hospital for platelets I go donate because I have a rare blood type and for some miraculous reason I'm also CMV negative. Children with cancer can't get platelets that are positive for the CMV virus and MOST of the population is positive for those antibodies.

So when they call, if I can arrange it, I go. Like if my husband is home because platelets take two and a half hours to donate.
blandino 04:23 PM 08-11-2013
I have a horrible horrible fear of needles & blood. Three years ago I had cancer and went through chemo, and had to have my blood drawn bi weekly for 6 months. By the end I was somewhat relaxed about it, but still couldn't watch (even after 15 + times in a short span). Now I have horrible "white coat syndrome" about doctors and needles, from going through chemo. So even the thought makes me nauseous now.

I am typically a "do my part, philanthropic, kind of person, but in this case I excuse myself.
CedarCreek 04:27 PM 08-11-2013
I have a genetic mutation that results in a clotting disorder. I take baby aspirin everyday so it prevents me from donating blood and plasma.
LoraJenkins 04:34 PM 08-11-2013
I do not. Right now I am pregnant with twins but even before, I have always had issues with anemia and low white cell count.
Luna 04:37 PM 08-11-2013
I don't because I'm told i have tiny jumping veins. They always have a heck of a time when I need to have blood drawn for bloodwork so I asked if it would be worth the effort to donate blood. I was told it would be a lot of work for them so I should probably not bother. There have been times when it has taken 15 minutes and two people trying different spots on my arms and hands, so I don't donate.
Familycare71 04:44 PM 08-11-2013
I would but I have a phobia of needles. I've somewhat worked through shots but for blood draws I am medicated and laying down- I have a tendency to faint! My son does tho and I am so proud of him- ill even drive him to the donation locations!!
Unregistered 04:49 PM 08-11-2013
I have tried, but have been told I do not weigh enough.
MarinaVanessa 05:47 PM 08-11-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have tried, but have been told I do not weigh enough.
I can't donate blood. The minimum weight requirement is 110 lbs and unfortunately my normal weight is just under that so I unable to do so.
Starburst 05:47 PM 08-11-2013
I used to donate regularly (every month) but I haven't recently due to scheduling conflicts (I have a small town and they do them only Thursdays every few weeks). Last time I was supposed to donate I got called in to babysit and by the time I got out it was pretty much over and I haven't scheduled since. A few times I tried to donate recently I got turned away because of low iron levels.

I donate when I can because I figure I don't need all my blood and it can help save up to 3 people. Plus, I think its good to give something back to people in need when you can. If you don't have money to give to the needy or time to donate, as long as your healthy and eligible, you can always give blood and make a huge difference.
sharlan 06:09 PM 08-11-2013
No, I've had cancer twice and accidently poked myself with a lancet that was tainted (bro had Hep C and MRSA).

They don't want my blood.
MamaBearCanada 06:28 PM 08-11-2013
I am not eligible due to living in a foreign country & a blood transfusion. I also have low iron levels. I used to have a phobia of needles but after 2 pregnancies I'm over that lol.
Former Teacher 06:45 PM 08-11-2013
I know I should but I don't. For several reasons but the 2 main ones are that it takes someone FOREVER to find them and 2 because I hate needles lol.

Kinda off topic: My mother years ago, before she married my father, use to donate blood on a regular basis. The centers back then (I don't know about now) paid very well. She told me that by giving blood, it sometimes put food on the table. Makes me a little sad actually to think she had to resort to that 30 years ago. But she kept us together and she kept us alive
Meeko 06:47 PM 08-11-2013
I would love to, but they don't want mine. I lived in the UK during a time frame that doesn't allow donation.
Familycare71 08:04 PM 08-11-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:
I am not eligible due to living in a foreign country & a blood transfusion. I also have low iron levels. I used to have a phobia of needles but after 2 pregnancies I'm over that lol.
Three pregnancies didnt cure me
Patches 09:33 PM 08-11-2013
I haven't in a long time. I have no problem with needles. In fact I actually really like needles (It's a weird quirk, I know). I sometimes get turned away for low iron, though.

Funny thing about my blood is that nobody can seem to agree on my blood type. Sometimes it comes out A+ and sometimes it's O+.....don't know why.

When I was pregnant with my second child, I was having blood work done and the blood type came out different from the one in my chart so the doctor said, "Ok, we'll take it again and call it best two out of three" And I also have two different blood donor cards with two different blood types on them
mamac 09:41 PM 08-11-2013
I donate as often as I can, when I'm well enough to.

I tried for years to donate dating way back to when I was in high school (early 90's) and I didn't weigh enough to give plus I have a chronic illness that was on the no-no list. I waited 10 years and called and asked again. Nope. Still couldn't donate. I tried again about 8 months ago and they said that I was cleared to give blood as long as I was healthy. I have also had a blood transfusion and they said I can still donate.

And for those with the small or wandering veins: Not sure why they told you not to bother. I am like a human pin cushion when I give samples for my illness and yet they have no problem when I donate blood. Just make sure you get enough sleep the night before, eat breakfast and have lots of fluids. It makes a huge difference. And if you are close on the finger stick, but low enough iron that they say no- have them stick another finger. It may be higher.
mamac 09:47 PM 08-11-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
I used to donate regularly (every month) but I haven't recently due to scheduling conflicts (I have a small town and they do them only Thursdays every few weeks). Last time I was supposed to donate I got called in to babysit and by the time I got out it was pretty much over and I haven't scheduled since. A few times I tried to donate recently I got turned away because of low iron levels.

I donate when I can because I figure I don't need all my blood and it can help save up to 3 people. Plus, I think its good to give something back to people in need when you can. If you don't have money to give to the needy or time to donate, as long as your healthy and eligible, you can always give blood and make a huge difference.
Ummm....I hope you're not trying to donate whole blood every month.....
mamac 09:58 PM 08-11-2013
Originally Posted by Patches:
I haven't in a long time. I have no problem with needles. In fact I actually really like needles (It's a weird quirk, I know). I sometimes get turned away for low iron, though.

Funny thing about my blood is that nobody can seem to agree on my blood type. Sometimes it comes out A+ and sometimes it's O+.....don't know why.

When I was pregnant with my second child, I was having blood work done and the blood type came out different from the one in my chart so the doctor said, "Ok, we'll take it again and call it best two out of three" And I also have two different blood donor cards with two different blood types on them
Fascinating. Have you ever had your dna tested for a possible twin that was lost in utero? Are you a twin? It sounds like you might be a chimera.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_strange-...im_10364937.bc
Patches 10:26 PM 08-11-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
Fascinating. Have you ever had your dna tested for a possible twin that was lost in utero? Are you a twin? It sounds like you might be a chimera.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_strange-...im_10364937.bc
I was extremely fascinated by this and did a lot of research online and the chimera thing was the conclusion I came to as well. It is not confirmed but I truly believe it. I always wanted so badly to be a twin since I was a kid and then when I started getting older and thinking about having kids myself one day, I wanted twin girls so much. (Had two boys instead, 3 years apart)

My great grandmother was a twin and there have been no twins in the family since. I have no idea about before her.
JoseyJo 10:28 PM 08-11-2013
Originally Posted by Luna:
I don't because I'm told i have tiny jumping veins. They always have a heck of a time when I need to have blood drawn for bloodwork so I asked if it would be worth the effort to donate blood. I was told it would be a lot of work for them so I should probably not bother. There have been times when it has taken 15 minutes and two people trying different spots on my arms and hands, so I don't donate.
That's me too- Every time I have given blood it has clotted in the bag before they could get enough. They say my veins are so little the needle gets stuck against the side of the vein and stops the blood flow.
Starburst 10:29 PM 08-11-2013
Ummm....I hope you're not trying to donate whole blood every month.....
Well, its about every 56 days, less then 2 months. Months seem to go by fast for me so two months sometimes feels like one month.

But there were a lot of times when my iron was low I did try for the next blood drive which was between my scheduled dates (I think they have one blood drive every month at the church).
mamac 10:47 PM 08-11-2013
I was extremely fascinated by this and did a lot of research online and the chimera thing was the conclusion I came to as well. It is not confirmed but I truly believe it. I always wanted so badly to be a twin since I was a kid and then when I started getting older and thinking about having kids myself one day, I wanted twin girls so much. (Had two boys instead, 3 years apart)
My great grandmother was a twin and there have been no twins in the family since. I have no idea about before her.
Lol. I wanted to be a twin, too! I guess it almost could have been a possibility. My mom had been pregnant with twins long before I was thought of but were stillborn. My first pregnancy was twins (possibly triplets they said) but they didn't make it past about 9 weeks.

As for the chimera thing, have you ever asked about getting tested? I don't know if they'd test you if not for a medical necessity though. I know (before I could donate blood) my dr's wouldn't type my blood because there was never a "need" to and insurance wouldn't pay for the test. I was so excited when I was able to donate so I would finally know my blood type. Turns out my first time I wasn't able to fill a whole bag and my card came in blank.
coolconfidentme 04:01 AM 08-12-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I can't donate blood. The minimum weight requirement is 110 lbs and unfortunately my normal weight is just under that so I unable to do so.
You can donate under 110 lbs.., I do. They spin your blood to make sure you have enough iron, etc. I'm pretty healthy & donate every chance I get. How often do you get the opportunity to save someone life???
AnneCordelia 04:13 AM 08-12-2013
I do. I'm healthy and able, so I do. Occasionally I get a new tattoo and then I have to wait a year before I can donate again.
pandamom 04:31 AM 08-12-2013
No, I can't. I lived in England in the early-mid 80's and in S. Korea in the mid-late 80's. Every once in a while when I see a blood drive, I'll go in and see if I qualify- which I never am
Patches 05:05 AM 08-12-2013
Lol. I wanted to be a twin, too! I guess it almost could have been a possibility. My mom had been pregnant with twins long before I was thought of but were stillborn. My first pregnancy was twins (possibly triplets they said) but they didn't make it past about 9 weeks.

As for the chimera thing, have you ever asked about getting tested? I don't know if they'd test you if not for a medical necessity though. I know (before I could donate blood) my dr's wouldn't type my blood because there was never a "need" to and insurance wouldn't pay for the test. I was so excited when I was able to donate so I would finally know my blood type. Turns out my first time I wasn't able to fill a whole bag and my card came in blank.
I haven't looked into getting tested. I want to because I'm really curious about it. Maybe I will someday. When I asked my dr. (the 2 out of 3 dr who is not my regular doctor, btw) what could cause this he said it was impossible. Well, it happened too many times and was too big a coincidence for me to think it was impossible So that's when I researched it. There really isn't a need for me to know for sure right now, but I sure would like to satisfy my curiosity some day.
Willow 07:22 AM 08-12-2013
Absolutely I do!!!

So does my husband and my children will as well when they are old enough.

I was raised to view it as a civic duty. Having O+ blood type makes me particularly drawn to donating as I know I can help save the lives of many with my donations.
missy 07:28 AM 08-12-2013
I know I should, but I never think of it, never see any ad campaigns or anything about it anymore now that I think about it. I'm a common type.
ABCDaycareMN 07:44 AM 08-12-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
Absolutely I do!!!

So does my husband and my children will as well when they are old enough.

I was raised to view it as a civic duty. Having O+ blood type makes me particularly drawn to donating as I know I can help save the lives of many with my donations.
I too have O+ blood type but I can't handle needles. Hopefully one day I would be able to donate.

My husband donates blood and plasma occasionally.
wdmmom 08:29 AM 08-12-2013
I have donated blood before. It only takes a very short amount of time and isn't painful at all.

My aunt was in a horrific car accident years ago. The doctors gave her 7 pints of blood trying to save her but it was no use. Part of me felt obligated to donate blood to help those that have the same thing occur to them.

Because of low blood pressure, I have been turned away before and now I have been diagnosed with psoriasis. I haven't donated since being diagnosed so I don't know if I still can or not.
Brooksie 10:51 AM 08-12-2013
I wish I could, I think more people should. But I'm Tryanophobic. I have an extreme and irrational fear of all the medical procedures that involve use of syringes, injections and even hypodermic needles. If I need a shot or blood drawn (at 25) I have an anxiety attack or will pass out. Generally am borderline comatose for the rest of the day just absorbed in the fear of what just happened to me. lol But that being said, I have many piercings. Its the syringe aspect and something being put into or taken out of my body. Giving me the heebie jeebies just thinking about it
JenNJ 12:06 PM 08-12-2013
I do not. I am a small person (5' tall) and have tiny veins. All the blood drives I have been to do not have needles small enough to use on me. They poke and prod and blow vein after vein. It is really painful and leaves GIANT bruises and lots of blood under my skin. It takes weeks to go away. When I go to have blood tests or for medical procedures, I have to request pediatric needles.

I really would like to donate, but I can't tolerate being stuck over and over becuase someone swears that they are "the best" at what they do and never blow out veins or bruise people. I've been promised that dozens of times.
wdmmom 12:23 PM 08-12-2013
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
I do not. I am a small person (5' tall) and have tiny veins. All the blood drives I have been to do not have needles small enough to use on me. They poke and prod and blow vein after vein. It is really painful and leaves GIANT bruises and lots of blood under my skin. It takes weeks to go away. When I go to have blood tests or for medical procedures, I have to request pediatric needles.

I really would like to donate, but I can't tolerate being stuck over and over becuase someone swears that they are "the best" at what they do and never blow out veins or bruise people. I've been promised that dozens of times.
I have the same problems. I had issue after issue with blood drives as well. I now go to the actual blood center to donate and they have it right in my chart to use a butterfly needle (much smaller) on me to prevent extreme bruising and constant pokes!
crazydaycarelady 12:31 PM 08-12-2013
I used to donate blood but once I started doing dc I stopped because it is hard enough to find someone to come over for doctor visits, etc. Now though I am usually anemic (low iron) so I am not able to.
MarinaVanessa 12:40 PM 08-12-2013
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
You can donate under 110 lbs.., I do. They spin your blood to make sure you have enough iron, etc. I'm pretty healthy & donate every chance I get. How often do you get the opportunity to save someone life???
That's really interesting. They've always turned me away and I'm only 5 pounds under the requirement.
Blackcat31 01:00 PM 08-12-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
That's really interesting. They've always turned me away and I'm only 5 pounds under the requirement.
I wonder if the people at the place where you donate are just not being diligent about the requirements. Because according to the American Red Cross, you MUST meet certain requirements to donate (one of which is being over 110 lbs)

Blood Donors Must:

http://www.redcrossblood.org/donatin...y-requirements
SilverSabre25 01:08 PM 08-12-2013
I don't. I usually have low iron and have jumpy veins that are usually very painful to get a good stick in...so kinda selfishly, I don't really want to go through the pain and hassle.

Also, I've passed out after giving birth both times, and am not interested in finding out how much blood loss it takes to make me pass out.

I donated once in high school...
Maddy'sMommy 01:19 PM 08-12-2013
I would, but my pulse is always too high. It usually runs higher than the average person, and when i get a little nervous it goes above 100 and they won't take me.
MsLaura529 02:50 PM 08-12-2013
I never have ... but want to. I'm just a little worried about how my hypoglycemia would affect it??
Cradle2crayons 03:41 PM 08-12-2013
I have cruddy veins too... To the point that I'm on my second chest port (long story).. I have blood draws every two weeks and home infusions regularly via my port. Because of that, I haven't been stuck in a vein in years, except when I go give platelets lol. Even then, my low blood pressure constantly alarms the machine etc... But since I don't do it too often it's not too much of a pain.

Even with my health problems, none exclude me from platelets. Although, the restrictions are a little different for platelets than for whole blood here.

Personally I hate needles but I guess when you are sticking a needle in your chest every two weeks you get used to it. Right??
mamac 03:52 PM 08-12-2013
I haven't looked into getting tested. I want to because I'm really curious about it. Maybe I will someday. When I asked my dr. (the 2 out of 3 dr who is not my regular doctor, btw) what could cause this he said it was impossible. Well, it happened too many times and was too big a coincidence for me to think it was impossible So that's when I researched it. There really isn't a need for me to know for sure right now, but I sure would like to satisfy my curiosity some day.
If you ever do find out, please share the results with us! I've always been amazed at the human body would love to know what the verdict was.
momofsix 04:02 PM 08-12-2013
No I can't. My blood pressure is super low already-I have to fight to keep it high enough for me to feel good.
Snapdragon 04:26 PM 08-12-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I would love to, but they don't want mine. I lived in the UK during a time frame that doesn't allow donation.
Ditto here -- though lived in Belgium and spent time in UK. Wish I could donate.
jenn 05:52 PM 08-12-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
I have a genetic mutation that results in a clotting disorder. I take baby aspirin everyday so it prevents me from donating blood and plasma.
Same here. I would love to donate, but they don't want my blood! I have Factor 5 (from my mom) and MTHFR (from my dad), which both cause clotting issues.
CedarCreek 05:55 PM 08-12-2013
Originally Posted by jenn:
Same here. I would love to donate, but they don't want my blood! I have Factor 5 (from my mom) and MTHFR (from my dad), which both cause clotting issues.
That's exactly what I have! The reason I had two premature births as well.
Starburst 07:33 PM 08-12-2013
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
I do. I'm healthy and able, so I do. Occasionally I get a new tattoo and then I have to wait a year before I can donate again.
Yeah, that rule is kinda dumb. My first time donating was towards the end of my senior year and a few months later they called me asked if I wanted to donate (a little after I turned 18) but when I told them I recently got a tattoo they said- "sorry, you have to wait a year".

If it were a garage tattoo, I would understand but I think if it is done at a legit licensed tattoo parlor (which mine was) then I think 6 months is long enough. It only takes about a month or 2 after exposure to the HIV or AIDS virus to show up in your blood work.
mamac 08:09 PM 08-12-2013
Yeah, that rule is kinda dumb. My first time donating was towards the end of my senior year and a few months later they called me asked if I wanted to donate (a little after I turned 18) but when I told them that they said- "sorry, you have to wait a year".

If it were a garage tattoo, I would understand but I think if it is done at a legit licensed tattoo parlor (which mine was) then I think 6 months is long enough. It only takes about a month or so after exposure to the HIV or AIDS virus to show up in your blood work.
The concern for tattoos is not HIV. It's Hepatitis which can take up to 9 months to appear. And HIV can take up to 6 months to test positive.

Look at it this way- I'd rather wait even if I thought the rule was "dumb". I wholeheartedly believe in helping to save a life but I also want to make sure I AM going to do just that. I wouldn't risk it. When I got the okay to finally donate, I asked and asked and asked again. Just to make sure I wouldn't give my chronic illness to someone else. I waited almost over 20 years to be able to donate. A year isn't so bad.

Your comment also terrifies me. As much as I believe in blood donation I am still scared that I had to have 4 units of blood after my son was born 6 years ago. I cried as I signed the papers for them to give it to me. I didn't want it even though without it I probably wouldn't be here. Why? Because there are people out there that think they are doing the right thing by donating that don't always tell the truth on those questionnaires. They figure they went to a "reputable" tattoo shop so no way could they be infected. But it happens. I am sure there are people who figure they went on vacation to a banned country but didn't get sick so what's the harm? There are so many examples of people "trying" to do the right thing but instead they end up doing harm to the very person they tried to help.

No test is fail proof and there are so many variables to the human body that sometimes a long waiting period is the best option.
Starburst 10:24 PM 08-12-2013
Around here the bigger concern they show for tends to lean more towards HIV/AIDS. I didn't say I didn't wait, I did (I have no choice either way). Plus the tattoo shop I went to is was the best in the city because they use new needles and tools every time and show you when they open new tools (Plus if you are really into Body Modification you will research the risks and the safety tips). I would never get a garage tattoo or get a tattoo done at a place that I saw as unsafe. Every time I donate they also tell me that they do blood tests on the samples and will contact me if they find anything wrong. And before you try to chew me out for that too, No I don't give blood just for a free health check up or HIV/AIDS test. I actually did get one recently when my school had a health fair and it said I was clean (not that I had any doubt about it anyway).

BTW, you can also get hepatitis C from sharing razors and toothbrushes but they don't ask that on the forms. http://www.bettertoknowc.com/pages/h...-virus-spreads
Twinvillageiowa 04:35 AM 08-13-2013
I gave once in high school without a problem. The next two times my iron was low. Inonlupy made the weight cutoff because they have different guidelines for those under 18.

Now, I can never give blood again. I have a thyroid problem and it is recommended to not donate.
daycarediva 06:19 AM 08-13-2013
Unfortunately, I am not eligible. Under 110lbs, severe anemia & low blood pressure. would if I was eligible, though!!!
Willow 07:07 AM 08-13-2013
I don't understand some of the comments here....

I've never made a donation during the day. I've always gone at night, usually at a local church as many hold blood drives monthly. It's never something I'd have to take time off work or hire a sub to do. If you're interested in donating simply visit The Red Cross' website and find a drive near you with times that suit your schedule!

I definitely donated plenty of times before I had kids when my weight hovered around 100lbs. I just texted my sister in law about this and no, it's not a hard and fast rule (she's a supervisor for RC drives). If someone comes in 5 feet tall and 100lbs they're going to gladly accept the donation. If someone comes in at 6'4'' and weighs 120 then probably not. A lot of it is a judgment call on the evaluators part....does the individual look healthy. Most people at 100lbs don't look healthy, for others it's entirely natural and normal so yes, they will make the exception.

I've always had anemia and at times been turned away for donation but at that point I addressed it as a health problem for me personally. Staying anemic on a chronic level isn't healthy. There is plenty most people can do to address it. If donating is something you'd like to do by all means, remedy the anemia and then get in there and do so! Often times women in particular will register low iron simply because they've had their blood drawn just after menstruation. It doesn't mean a week from then their levels aren't perfect.

My blood pressure has always been low and that's never posed a problem for me donating. In fact I'm always declared surprisingly "good" when they see those very low numbers.

Not saying that to pick on anyone, just pointing out some possible misconceptions in case there are people out there who want to give but have been led to believe they can't
Lyss 08:21 AM 08-13-2013
I give blood but not as often as I should. Previously it was about 2 times a year or so.

I've gotten tattoos in the last few years and that kicked me out for about the last two years but I understand the reasoning. Our state regulates facilities but they still made me wait a year when I called. I understand though, I wouldn't want to take the risk either if I was the RC.

I'm gonna have to give them a call and find a time to go donate again!
Cradle2crayons 08:33 AM 08-13-2013
I don't understand some of the comments here....

I've never made a donation during the day. I've always gone at night, usually at a local church as many hold blood drives monthly. It's never something I'd have to take time off work or hire a sub to do. If you're interested in donating simply visit The Red Cross' website and find a drive near you with times that suit your schedule!

I definitely donated plenty of times before I had kids when my weight hovered around 100lbs. I just texted my sister in law about this and no, it's not a hard and fast rule (she's a supervisor for RC drives). If someone comes in 5 feet tall and 100lbs they're going to gladly accept the donation. If someone comes in at 6'4'' and weighs 120 then probably not. A lot of it is a judgment call on the evaluators part....does the individual look healthy. Most people at 100lbs don't look healthy, for others it's entirely natural and normal so yes, they will make the exception.

I've always had anemia and at times been turned away for donation but at that point I addressed it as a health problem for me personally. Staying anemic on a chronic level isn't healthy. There is plenty most people can do to address it. If donating is something you'd like to do by all means, remedy the anemia and then get in there and do so! Often times women in particular will register low iron simply because they've had their blood drawn just after menstruation. It doesn't mean a week from then their levels aren't perfect.

My blood pressure has always been low and that's never posed a problem for me donating. In fact I'm always declared surprisingly "good" when they see those very low numbers.

Very good points. My mom weighs 100 soaking wet. She's 5 feet stretching. They've never turned her away. And my blood pressure has always been 80/50 or even less when asleep or lying down. And I've never been turned away for blood pressure. It does affect e machine if you give platelets though because the machine pulls out the blood depending in your own blood pressure (that's why I set the alarms off haha)

I have a lot of chronic conditions but I've never been turned away. I have a complete physical yearly and I take that with me, showing my health conditions and that I'm healthy to give blood.

There was one time that I went to donate years ago and my blood pressure was 80/40 and they looked at me questionably lol. So I just stood up and let them re check it and the physical notes state I have always had low blood pressure and its never been an issue at the donation.

I do understand that SOME things or medication may exclude someone.

But like she said, low iron and blood pressure and weight usually aren't good reasons. First off, like said, low iron is easy to address. I used to have the same problem before my hysterectomy. I guess it was heavy period related because it fixed itself afterwards.
Twinvillageiowa 10:44 AM 08-13-2013
But that is assuming that waiting a week or popping some iron pills will help.i was taking a ton of iron and my levels still didn't improve.
Willow 11:09 AM 08-13-2013
Originally Posted by Twinvillageiowa:
But that is assuming that waiting a week or popping some iron pills will help.i was taking a ton of iron and my levels still didn't improve.
If iron supplements didn't work to improve your anemia your doctor should have investigated why. Being anemic is *not* normal. Left untreated the anemia itself as well as the reason it's an issue in the first place can be life threatening.
Twinvillageiowa 02:25 PM 08-13-2013
I had a few docs who tried to tell me I was fine for years. Turns out I have an autoimmune.

If iron supplements didn't work to improve your anemia your doctor should have investigated why. Being anemic is *not* normal. Left untreated the anemia itself as well as the reason it's an issue in the first place can be life threatening.

jenn 05:25 PM 08-13-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
That's exactly what I have! The reason I had two premature births as well.
Small world! I had a clot once, but was never tested No one in my family had been diagnosed, so I had no clue. I had huge troubles getting pregnant, and my doctor tested for these 2 genetic things. I had to take injections while pregnant and thankfully made it to 38 weeks.

Make sure everyone in your family gets tested. Since finding out myself, 3 other people in my family have been diagnosed. Crazy how some don't seem concerned and won't get tested. My dad had a pulmonary embolism (clots in lungs) and had no pulse, no breathing. Thankfully we had just arrived at the ER when this happened, and they saved him. Had he been tested and treated, it possibly could have been avoided. Now I tell everyone that if they have ever had a clot, or have family members that have had clots to get tested. It's simple blood work, and could save their life!
CedarCreek 06:27 PM 08-13-2013
Originally Posted by jenn:
Small world! I had a clot once, but was never tested No one in my family had been diagnosed, so I had no clue. I had huge troubles getting pregnant, and my doctor tested for these 2 genetic things. I had to take injections while pregnant and thankfully made it to 38 weeks.

Make sure everyone in your family gets tested. Since finding out myself, 3 other people in my family have been diagnosed. Crazy how some don't seem concerned and won't get tested. My dad had a pulmonary embolism (clots in lungs) and had no pulse, no breathing. Thankfully we had just arrived at the ER when this happened, and they saved him. Had he been tested and treated, it possibly could have been avoided. Now I tell everyone that if they have ever had a clot, or have family members that have had clots to get tested. It's simple blood work, and could save their life!
My sister was tested right after I had a clot that caused my first sons premature birth. She tested positive for the same thing I did! It helped tremendously because if she wouldn't have known, she wouldn't have taken the shots when she was pregnant. I agree, lifesaver!

I plan on having my boys tested when they are older as well. Isn't the abbreviation for mthfr fitting??? It really is a mother...you know.
Unregistered 08:35 PM 08-13-2013
It IS a hard and fast rule here that being under 110 lbs means you are unable to donate. I tried in highschool & was told no. Tried elsewhere in my early 20's and was told no. Tried again another time and was told I was being put on 'a list' that says I can not give blood due to my multiple attempts to donate while not weighing enough. It is common practice in my family to give blood and I wanted to do so as well, but ended up blacklisted instead. Maybe by the time I'm a grandma I'll weigh enough to try again.
Sunshine74 08:37 PM 08-13-2013
I try every so often, but I have a problem with anemia. It is an issue that I have had for awhile (but do not wish to discuss on a public forum) so I have never been able to give blood. I also have problems with having small veins- though I would probably try to give anyway.
Familycare71 08:07 PM 08-16-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
I wish I could, I think more people should. But I'm Tryanophobic. I have an extreme and irrational fear of all the medical procedures that involve use of syringes, injections and even hypodermic needles. If I need a shot or blood drawn (at 25) I have an anxiety attack or will pass out. Generally am borderline comatose for the rest of the day just absorbed in the fear of what just happened to me. lol But that being said, I have many piercings. Its the syringe aspect and something being put into or taken out of my body. Giving me the heebie jeebies just thinking about it
Is that what I have!?! I always said if God wanted anyone to see my blood he would have given me a tap!!!
Starburst 08:22 PM 08-16-2013
I gave blood yesterday after I babysat (I was able to get there 30 minutes before closing). I almost didn't get to because my hemoglobin level was only 10.77 (minimum requirement is 12.5) the first time in my middle finger but I requested a retest on my ring finger and it was over 12.5 so was able to. I guess they were also doing a "pint for a pint" promotion where when you donate blood you get a coupon for a free pint of ice cream at Baskin Robins.

I also over heard one of the greeters up front talking to someone about a berry recall from Costco that caused a Hepatitis A break out. http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/outbrea...consumers.html
Cradle2crayons 10:48 AM 08-17-2013
I gave blood yesterday after I babysat (I was able to get there 30 minutes before closing). I almost didn't get to because my hemoglobin level was only 10.77 (minimum requirement is 12.5) the first time in my middle finger but I requested a retest on my ring finger and it was over 12.5 so was able to. I guess they were also doing a "pint for a pint" promotion where when you donate blood you get a coupon for a free pint of ice cream at Baskin Robins.

I also over heard one of the greeters up front talking to someone about a berry recall from Costco that caused a Hepatitis A break out. http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/outbrea...consumers.html
congrats on saving lives and on yur ice cream
Rachel 06:11 AM 08-18-2013
I do, when I can. I want to thank all you who do. My baby needed tons of blood after his open heart surgery. It is such an important thing to do if you can. How many opportunities does your "average joe" get to save a life.
Sereetta 04:18 PM 08-18-2013
I do whenever I get the chance.
I am a parent of a child who has and will need blood transfusions and from the bottom of my heart I thank every blood donor! Many times I have wished I could give blood to my child but unfortunately I have a trait(Sickle cell) that his body will reject becuase he has the actual disease/disorder! Blood donors save live on a daily bases so I encourage more people to give it a try!!!!
jokalima 11:12 AM 08-19-2013
I do,why? Because my life was saved by others that donated their blood. I just feel I have to give back, help others go back to their families, give the chance to babies and mom's to be together or parents to see their older children get better. If it wasn't because other people gave their blood, my son wouldn't have his mom with him today. It is truly a matter of life and death and we should all try to give, if we can't because of x or y reasons, then spread the word so others will.
Square one 12:17 PM 08-19-2013
I have a low platelet count (thrombocytopenia) and a clotting disorder (anti-phospholipid antibodies) so I'm unable to donate.
Tags:blood, donate, donate - blood, poll
Reply Up