Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Meeting With Just The Father For The Initial Tour...
aDCProvider 11:33 AM 07-21-2014
I'm not sure I'm comfortable with this. I originally thought it would be him and his wife, but when he confirmed the tour he said he would be there.

My husband won't be home until after the tours ends and I'll be home alone with my 8 month old. Idk if I'm comfortable with meeting a man alone.

I know they are having their baby on thursday (scheduled cesarean) so maybe mom is too busy getting ready. I'm afraid if I say I need to reschedule that would look bad but I'm not comfortable having a strange man come into my home while it's just me and my son.

WWYD?
sugar buzz 11:37 AM 07-21-2014
I'd reschedule at a time that my husband would be home to help out with the baby. Wink. Wink. Fewer distractions.
Indoorvoice 11:54 AM 07-21-2014
I don't think it would put them off to reschedule. When we were interviewing daycares for my first DD the provider we picked asked us to reschedule because her dh ended up having to work later than expected. I took it as she was a cautious person and was something I was looking for in a provider. If it is the kind of family you want to work with, they will understand and will be happy to reschedule.
DaveA 12:18 PM 07-21-2014
Don't be afraid to reschedule. You don't have to say anything about the safety factor. Just couch it as wanting to meet both parents and to give them the opportunity to meet your husband as well. I prefer to have prospective parents meet my wife because she is my 1st subbing option.
Laurel 12:31 PM 07-21-2014
Originally Posted by aDCProvider:
I'm not sure I'm comfortable with this. I originally thought it would be him and his wife, but when he confirmed the tour he said he would be there.

My husband won't be home until after the tours ends and I'll be home alone with my 8 month old. Idk if I'm comfortable with meeting a man alone.

I know they are having their baby on thursday (scheduled cesarean) so maybe mom is too busy getting ready. I'm afraid if I say I need to reschedule that would look bad but I'm not comfortable having a strange man come into my home while it's just me and my son.

WWYD?
I don't do interviews unless my husband or adult son is at home. You just never know.

Laurel
NightOwl 12:36 PM 07-21-2014
Tell him it is a requirement to meet them both together so that you can go over policies. Chalk it up to "I've got a handbook an inch thick and I'm sure you don't want to go over that twice! Hahaha... So let's pick a day when she can also attend!"

I hear ya on this. But it just occurred to me, what's a single dad to do? That's got to be a hard position to be in. I guess you would schedule for when your husband is home, but that's not always possible either. I do NOT interview with my enrolled kids here for safety and because it would be almost impossible. They LOVE visitors, and not in a good way.
LysesKids 12:48 PM 07-21-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
Tell him it is a requirement to meet them both together so that you can go over policies. Chalk it up to "I've got a handbook an inch thick and I'm sure you don't want to go over that twice! Hahaha... So let's pick a day when she can also attend!"

I hear ya on this. But it just occurred to me, what's a single dad to do? That's got to be a hard position to be in. I guess you would schedule for when your husband is home, but that's not always possible either. I do NOT interview with my enrolled kids here for safety and because it would be almost impossible. They LOVE visitors, and not in a good way.
This is why I am so greatful for neighbors... as a single lady, I also don't set interviews until it's almost time for last pick up... I do that so one at least parent knows a man/couple is in the house at pick-up time - the last family out watches out for me when it comes to interviews; the interviweing person just assumes they are meeting one of the parents , not that it's done at that time for a reason
Michael 01:19 PM 07-21-2014
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
Don't be afraid to reschedule. You don't have to say anything about the safety factor. Just couch it as wanting to meet both parents and to give them the opportunity to meet your husband as well. I prefer to have prospective parents meet my wife because she is my 1st subbing option.
Agree with this ^
cheerfuldom 01:50 PM 07-21-2014
I require both parents to attend. Any time I ever interviewed just one, it usually came back to bite me. Meet both parents first !
TwinKristi 01:56 PM 07-21-2014
I did this once but my older teen son was home. I never have felt a good vibe from this DCD and he definitely has boundary issues. He came over Wed, back with his wife and baby on Friday and signed up to start on Monday! Granted this is the most problematic family from the get go, it's been a huge learning experience.
Michelle 02:13 PM 07-21-2014
This is not the same situation but let me tell you what happened when I enrolled a family with only meeting the mom:

Mom never told dad baby was in daycare, mom always spent money without telling dad and told dad that baby was with grandma during the day

She even tried to hide purchases at my house!
I said " no" of course
then one day the police called me and said I was passing bad checks for the ____________ family and I said " um, no those are daycare payments" and I offered to show the contract, enrollment forms etc. then I immediately called mom and she got yelled at, physically abused over this by dad.
I ended up terming because I didn't want any more mess and last I knew she went from daycare to daycare for years and then called me begging me but I was full

so yea, definitely both parents need to be present now!
lesson learned
daycare 02:15 PM 07-21-2014
I have a family that single dad has 100% custody of the kids.

I had a phone interview with him first, he was very professional. We then emailed a bit because I forgot to ask a few questions.

He came, he blew me AWAY! he had printed out my entire handbook, READ the entire thing, had a list of questions to ask me, wrote down answers and checked them off. I was beyond impressed. I would bring up my payments policy and he would finish my sentence for me....It was like a dream come true.

He enrolled his kids, I still have them and they have been a blessing. Hands down one of my very favorite families.

DCD is the best. When we have holiday parties he always hands down has the best healthy snacks. He works from home and has some free time to bake and is super good at it.

I say you should always conduct the phone interview first,. if you still don't feel good about doing it with dcd only and mom is not around to do it, then schedule it in a public place.

I did one at our local starbucks first because I got a bad vibe on the phone and my husband was working in fire 72 hour shifts. It did not turn out to be someone I wanted to enroll. The guy was just

DUMB....lol

I say always go with your gut.....if you don't feel comfortable then just ask to reschedule when both parents can come. that is if there are two parents or when your hubby will be home
aDCProvider 02:41 PM 07-21-2014
I needed up not rescheduling because DH was supposed to be home on time. Got a call from him 15 minutes before the interview that he would not be home til late (got assigned another case to work...P.I.). Anyway, potential DCD is now 10 minutes late with no call.

I need to feed my son and go food shopping. I plan to feed him now and leave in 10 minutes, is that long enough (20 minutes) to wait for a no show before I leave?
daycare 03:11 PM 07-21-2014
Originally Posted by aDCProvider:
I needed up not rescheduling because DH was supposed to be home on time. Got a call from him 15 minutes before the interview that he would not be home til late (got assigned another case to work...P.I.). Anyway, potential DCD is now 10 minutes late with no call.

I need to feed my son and go food shopping. I plan to feed him now and leave in 10 minutes, is that long enough (20 minutes) to wait for a no show before I leave?
I would not wait. I give them 5 min late and they better be calling me any later than that.

To me it sounds like a flake
TwinKristi 03:16 PM 07-21-2014
Yeah just leave and go about your business. Lesson learned.
Tags:interview
Reply Up