Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Consider It??
williams2008 03:02 PM 04-15-2014
Hi everyone!

I had someone contact me with a business proposal about leasing a commercial property and opening up a child care center with her. What are your thought of going into business with someone else? Would you consider it, why or why not?
NoMoreJuice! 03:42 PM 04-15-2014
My first instinct (not knowing your potential partner, who is probably a lovely person) is to run away! But I'm a low risk kind of gal, and I was even terrified to run a business with my husband, who is my life partner and whom I trust implicitly.

The risks are super high, from lawsuits to just good old fashioned disagreements. I'm sure you already know you'll have to enter into a formal LLC to protect yourself and your assets, but that doesn't ensure you'll have a smooth relationship at all times with your partner. Unless you're both 100% on the same page on every single thing (client contracts, employee policies, who's turn to scrub the bathroom) it can get messy.

I would consider it only if there were a formal written plan detailing every little thing, including disaster planning for staff neglect or abuse accusations, property damage, TONS of insurance to cover everyone, etc.

It would be very nice to have someone to share the workload and help make decisions, but it would also irk me to have to run everything by a partner. So I'm really torn. Sorry I can't help much, but hope I gave you a few things to think about. Good luck to you, and let us know what you decide! Total support, either way.
Annalee 06:51 PM 04-15-2014
Originally Posted by williams2008:
Hi everyone!

I had someone contact me with a business proposal about leasing a commercial property and opening up a child care center with her. What are your thought of going into business with someone else? Would you consider it, why or why not?
As for me and my house.... ABSOLUTELY NOT!
DaisyMamma 06:18 AM 04-16-2014
I'm a high risk kind of person.
If there is potential to make lots of money I always take the risk. Its the working with a partner part that I personally wouldn't like. Been there, done that. It was a nightmare.

I suggest feeling it out. Get together, go over ideas. Look at the place. Do lots and lots of research. Is there a market for it? Is there enough kids needing care in the area to support it? What's this person like? What does she or he do for work? Do they have experience? Why are they contacting you? What are they bringing to the deal? You're bringing dcks that are established clients.
cheerfuldom 06:40 AM 04-16-2014
No. It would take me a long time to take a risk with someone that I dont know well, especially if you have something good going on your own.
NightOwl 06:46 AM 04-16-2014
As a former center owner, I was quite unhappy. Sooooo much work, barely saw the kids that I got into this line of work for, and barely made ends meet every month. There really isn't any money in day care centers unless your prices are outrageous or unless you're cutting corners on staffing (which is bad for business because you're overloading the staff you DO have and potentially breaking DHR rules). The overhead is just astronomical.
Blackcat31 07:17 AM 04-16-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
As for me and my house.... ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I've had a number of people ask me if I would consider doing 2nd and 3rd shifts since my daycare house is daycare only but I just don't want to work with anyone else.

It's just not something I wanna do.
Jack Sprat 01:03 PM 04-16-2014
Nope! I don't want to work with anyone else, except maybe Dh...
SignMeUp 01:08 PM 04-16-2014
I get along so well with my boss (Me!) that I would hate to rock the boat
Ditto for my employees (Myself & I)
TaylorTots 05:13 PM 04-16-2014
If there was a solid financial plan, I would consider it.

However, in my area there are PLENTY of centers. In home care is where the demand (and thus money/job security for me) is at here.
Second Home 05:00 AM 04-17-2014
Nope .
williams2008 11:13 AM 04-17-2014
Thanks everyone. I am sorry it took a minute for me to chime back in! As of yesterday I have made up my mind not to do it for several reasons, and I have to apologize because this will be long:

(1). I would only want to do business with my husband
(2). The only thing I know about this person is that she use to work for one of the preschools here where I did pick ups at.
(3). I have been child care for 3 years and have gotten a really good reputation under my daycare name!
(4). I think that in a partnership my opinion matters and she has already started advertising with her ideas, her rates, her chosen daycare name, and her policies, her times of operation, etc..... I found all of this out by browsing the help wanted ads online yesterday

The reason I even considered it is because:
(1). Since moving the daycare back home, I can only be licensed to care for 4 children.
(2). I have had my eye on this building for a year, but I thought the lease on it was ridiculous!
Tdhmom 11:38 AM 04-17-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
I get along so well with my boss (Me!) that I would hate to rock the boat
Ditto for my employees (Myself & I)

SignMeUp 12:47 PM 04-17-2014
Thanks for appreciating my weird sense of humor
Reply Up