Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is A Text Message Considered A Written Notice?
MomBoss 06:45 AM 09-20-2017
A parent gave their 2 week notice in a text. Would this be acceptable as a written notice?
bklsmum 06:58 AM 09-20-2017
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
A parent gave their 2 week notice in a text. Would this be acceptable as a written notice?
Yes but my policy is that notice not given on a Friday will be considered given as of the Friday that follows when it was given.
Cat Herder 07:00 AM 09-20-2017
To me, yes.
MomBoss 07:12 AM 09-20-2017
Ok good to know. I was thinking of doing the same to a family I want to terminate, a text message just seems easier and to me, less awkward than passing a letter at pickup.
Blackcat31 07:33 AM 09-20-2017
I would accept it as notice but I require notices to be submitted on Fridays WITH final payment (if no deposit).

So if the parent texted me today, the notice wouldn't take effect until this coming Friday and upon drop off on that day (or last day of the week) parent would have to submit payment for final two weeks or there would be no additional services provided.
daycare 08:03 AM 09-20-2017
for me, I wouldn't accept a text. I want a paper trial that I can have proof of documentation. Especially on something like this.

I have learned the hard way.
Baby Beluga 08:09 AM 09-20-2017
I would accept a text, email or handwritten notice.
Baby Beluga 08:11 AM 09-20-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
for me, I wouldn't accept a text. I want a paper trial that I can have proof of documentation. Especially on something like this.

Can you print your texts out? Sometimes you can.

You can also take a screen shot and email that to yourself for a paper trial.

On a side note, this is why I switched to google voice for my DC number. Any texts I receive are emailed to me so if something happens to my phone I have the texts saved in my email.
Unregistered 08:19 AM 09-20-2017
I think at this point I would accept that too, if you are able to forward it to your email and print it, I would ask them to sign it when they pick up just so you have a copy.
Blackcat31 08:28 AM 09-20-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:

Print your texts....

When a parent withdraws from care they are required to sign/date and exit form. That serves as my paper trail.
daycare 08:36 AM 09-20-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Print your texts....

When a parent withdraws from care they are required to sign/date and exit form. That serves as my paper trail.
I always email my insurance company showing that I have zero liability of the child as of XYZ date.

then follow it up with an exiting survery .
Ariana 08:44 AM 09-20-2017
I would accept it yes. My families pay a two week deposit which is applied to the last two weeks of care once they give notice. I would let them know that care ends on xx date (2 weeks from date of text) and no $$ is owed unless circumstances changed since the depsit was made (they either pay the difference or I issue a refund).
daycare 08:48 AM 09-20-2017
sorry, I always forward the email from the parent to my insurance company is what I meant to say.
storybookending 08:52 AM 09-20-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I would accept it yes. My families pay a two week deposit which is applied to the last two weeks of care once they give notice. I would let them know that care ends on xx date (2 weeks from date of text) and no $$ is owed unless circumstances changed since the depsit was made (they either pay the difference or I issue a refund).
I have an OT question for those of you that take two week deposits to be applied for the end of care. Where do you keep this money? Do you have a seperate account or do you just keep it in your account and know not to spend it? I haven't required a deposit for any of my families so far as I have known them all personally or known through a friend. I can see in the future taking on clients I don't have a relationship with and wanting to implement this. Two weeks of care for the 5-8 kids I allow adds up.
Ariana 09:07 AM 09-20-2017
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I have an OT question for those of you that take two week deposits to be applied for the end of care. Where do you keep this money? Do you have a seperate account or do you just keep it in your account and know not to spend it? I haven't required a deposit for any of my families so far as I have known them all personally or known through a friend. I can see in the future taking on clients I don't have a relationship with and wanting to implement this. Two weeks of care for the 5-8 kids I allow adds up.
I cash it and spend it. Basically they get free care the last two weeks. If I needed the money I wouldn't cash the money or I would put it aside somehow to cover me.
MarinaVanessa 03:33 PM 09-20-2017
To me no but I have it worded in my policies and contract that a text isn't considered a 2-week notice. Personally I want a comprehensible sentence with a date end and a date and signature to keep in the child's file.

Other than that I accept text as written notice of other stuff like calling out sick, asking for an extra day, more time etc.)
hwichlaz 04:46 PM 09-20-2017
Yes, I take a screen shot that shows the phone number it's coming from. That phone number acts as the signature. Then I print it out and stick it in their file.
Tags:notice, termination notice, written notice
Reply Up