Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interesting Article About Naps
Blackcat31 10:28 AM 11-08-2013
This is an interesting article about naps.

http://www.counselheal.com/articles/...-childcare.htm

Thorpe said, according to studies, children normally outgrow their nap time between the ages of three and five.

"Being forced to lie down when sleep is no longer biologically required can lead to emotional and behavioural challenges for the child and childcare staff,"

"Emerging evidence from studies examining the association of levels of the stress hormone cortisol with and childcare sleep practices suggest that children required to lie-down without alternative activities, when they do not sleep have higher; feelings of stress at night sleep-time,"
Cat Herder 10:41 AM 11-08-2013
Who in their right mind would TRY to "force" a preschooler to lie down quietly in a room full of sleeping kids? It does not work...

What baffles me is the parents who demand we "force" a kid to stay awake so they will sleep when they get home at night.....
WImom 10:45 AM 11-08-2013
I had a DCP that would ask me everyday if DCG napped. If I said she didn't but layed nice and quiet and then played quietly on her nap. DCG would get in trouble for not sleeping. It drove me nuts. I started to just say yes or try to avoid the subject. I felt bad for the DCG. She was 3.5y old.
Maria2013 10:49 AM 11-08-2013
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
What baffles me is the parents who demand we "force" a kid to stay awake so they will sleep when they get home at night.....
in my experience, an over tired child struggles more to fall asleep at night than a child that has had a couple of hours nap in the afternoon

I wish parents would understand the difference between "not needing" sleep and "not wanting" to go to sleep

All the kids in my care have to lay down for quiet time, they have a stuffed animal if they can't sleep they can cuddle their toy while the little ones sleep
daycare 10:52 AM 11-08-2013
I didnt get to read all of the article, but are they saying not to lay the children of this age group down at all?

I require everyone lay down and rest and if they don't fall asleep after 30 min they can get up. No one makes it past 15 min.......
Unregistered 02:23 PM 11-08-2013
Let that person work one day in a daycare around children who haven't had a nap! I guarantee their results would be different! Lol
I couldn't disagree more with that article!
Reply Up