Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Breastfed Baby Help..
Heidi 12:10 PM 11-19-2014
Little man is 8 weeks old, and the last few days, has increasingly wanted more and more milk.

He started at the beginning of the month with 4 oz at a feeding, every 3 hours. The next week it was 5 oz.

This week, it's anywhere from 5-7 oz, sometimes every 2 hours! That seems like way too much to me. Mom pumps 3x a day, but can't really produce 7 oz of milk at one sitting.

I know BM digests quicker. But, he's goes from playing to SCREAMING sometimes after only 1.75 hours. I try everything else first, holding, pacifier, nap. But, nothing works until he gets more milk.

He spits up a lot, at every burp, and then for an afterwards randomly until the next feeding.

He has his checkup tomorrow. I am having mom ask doc if an oz or two of water now and then is ok. I wonder if the spitting up is causing pain, and the milk soothes that.

Any input?

So, he comes at 7 and leaves at 4:45. He comes fed within an hour or so of arrival. He's been drinking 15-21 oz each day. I guess the 15 is reasonable, but 21 seems like a lot in that time?
Unregistered 12:35 PM 11-19-2014
Sounds like reflux. If he's spitting up it makes sense he would be hungry earlier since he isn't getting the amount of food he needs. How is he at home and on weekends? Dr won't ok water until 6 months
josie2014 01:04 PM 11-19-2014
I had baby like this but she's was on formula dcm was just increase her formula from 4oz to 6oz..and she's always spitting formula afterwards.Too much formula for little stomach...we changed little bit.Giving her 4 oz every 2:30 or 3...she's stopped spit...the mom is open about suplemment with formula...just tryout.
jenboo 01:21 PM 11-19-2014
The average is 19-30oz a day with the majority of infants eating about 25oz.
Heidi 02:27 PM 11-19-2014
ok..today 23oz, in just the time he was here!

really fussy on and off, tried all other options before food,,

Ok...I just looked, and the feeding guide I found says 5-6 oz 5-6 times a day. If he gets 2 feedings from mama, 4 here is not unreasonable. It just seems like a lot for someone who is so cranky about it!

Doc will certainly have something to say about it tomorrow. )

Of course, mama can only pump 3x a day at work, so there's the problem. He just cleaned me out of overstock.
ACH247 02:47 PM 11-19-2014
Babies that age shouldn't have water. I fed my kids on demand so if they seemed hungry I fed them. Looking at the quantity from the post, it doesn't really seem like too much to me.
Heidi 03:20 PM 11-19-2014
Originally Posted by ACH247:
Babies that age shouldn't have water. I fed my kids on demand so if they seemed hungry I fed them. Looking at the quantity from the post, it doesn't really seem like too much to me.
Yeah, I know about the water. That's why I asked for her to check with her doctor. If he's only thinking he's hungry because the spitting up is causing discomfort; and drinking soothes that, I'd offer an ounce or two occasionally with the doctor's ok only.

I don't think that's it, though. I think he's just really hungry. I just surprised me that he's drinking as much as the 4 month old I have. Actually, more.
NeedaVaca 03:29 PM 11-19-2014
Mom pumps 3 times per day, is this at work? Couldn't she pump after every feeding at home to increase her supply and to get extra for daycare? My baby wouldn't breastfeed due to a tongue thrust problem but I pumped religiously! I even woke up in the middle of the night to pump and I had a huge supply by doing it that way.
Kabob 03:33 PM 11-19-2014
Also...my dd spit up a lot until I cut dairy and eggs out of my diet. After about a week of avoiding those products it was like she was a whole different baby. If I forgot and had dairy, she'd projectile spit up and then want to nurse afterwards.

Now she's on schedule and rarely spits up. Just a thought.
Heidi 05:04 AM 11-20-2014
Thanks for the suggestions, ladies.

I think on weekends, she is trying to bolster my supply by pumping extra here and there. I think she is nursing on one side, pumping the the other, at the same time.

I will suggest the dairy thing and post-nursing pumping. She is a single mom, though, so I am sure that fitting that in could be tricky in the evening.

She works in a highly structured environment. I am sure there is no flexibility about breaks. So, 3x a day is max she can do.
Solandia 06:25 AM 11-20-2014
I mom taking any supplements to increase supply?

I had one mom that took fenegreek, and almost doubled the amount she pumped. However, for little guy, it made him very fussy and he ate more than he should. He was just a crabby baby in general, but the fenegreek made it him hungrier, overeat & spit up more. His momma ended up eating lots of oatmeal instead. It worked okay - about half as well, I would say, at increasing ounces as the fenegreek but w/o the fussiness and way less spitting up. Huge improvement, but mom & I still were still very thankful when the time came to start solids.
Unregistered 09:38 AM 11-20-2014
Are you sure he's not trying to comfort eat? I've found that when babies that young want to eat all the time they are usually just tired and are used to being fed to sleep.How are his sleeping habits?
I would not give him water, that is not necessary.
Start him on a good schedule and remember, he may still cry, that's what babies do.You don't need to stick a bottle in his mouth every time he does.Babies can overeat simply because it is offered to them every time they cry. Then he throws it up because he is over fed and uncomfortable so then he cries more.
What does his schedule look like?
Unregistered 09:55 AM 11-20-2014
Here is what my infant schedule looks like:
All infants must come fed and ready for the day.
8:00a.m.-8:30a.m.-Play, change diapers, down for nap.
8:30a.m.-10:30a.m.-Nap
10:30a.m.-12:00p.m.-Change, feed, play.
12:00p.m.-12:30p.m.-Change, down for nap.
12:30p.m.-2:00p.m.-Nap
2:00p.m.-3:30p.m.- Change, feed, play.
3:30p.m.-5:00p.m.- I some times feed again if parents can not pick up be 5:00p.m. and then they go back to sleep on the ride home and are usually asleep for half the night by 7p.m.
I never feed a child to sleep, only when they first wake up and between 3-4 hours depending if they are sleeping.I never let them go more than 4 hours, even if I have to wake them at that age.
I only expect them to be awake no more than two hours at a time.I know every baby is different but I like to get them on a schedule as soon as possible and it r sultan in a week rested, full belly, happy baby.
Done this for over 25 years and probably 100 infants from daycare or foster care.100% success!!!
Heidi 10:03 AM 11-20-2014
I always try all other options before feeding. He's still in the stage where sometimes he does start to doze when his belly is full (on your shoulder when burping), but I'm a big believer in independent sleep skills, and have no problem with letting him fuss a little to fall asleep.

Today, we tried an experiment. At first feeding, we offered him all he wanted. We did 6 oz first, then carried him on my assistant's shoulder for at least 10 minutes so he let out a few good burps and to give his brain a chance to register full.

It did not.

We offered 3 more oz, and he drank all of that. Then, he was content. He then played on the mat for a good 20 minutes batting at toys, and went to sleep without fussing.

NINE OZ. and very little spitting up.

He's been asleep for an hour and a half.

Way different from yesterday, where he never seemed to be satisfied, and slept poorly.
Tags:breastfeeding
Reply Up