Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Denied My Initial Family Childcare License!!! Help Advice Needed
blackwell 07:29 AM 02-09-2015
Hello, my initial application for a family childcare was recently denied because of the other adult living in my home has a record which is 11 years old, he wasn't convicted but he received a pbj. And because and his 11 year old record I was denied. I want to appeal this so is there anyone that faced a situation like this and could give me any tips to help me win my appeal case. Thanks in Advance. Also, I live in Maryland if that helps any. Oh also in there regulations they have pdj and the type of charge he was facing but I didn't think it would affect my case since it was 11 years old and since then he has turned his life around
Unregistered 07:57 AM 02-09-2015
Hi, I'm a registered user but logged out since this deals with private information.
If the charges were related to any type of child abuse, or any type of sexual crime they won't grant you a license. I don't know what pdj stands for)

If it's anything else I would appeal. My dh has a record from his younger wilder days. (quite a record, actually). We got a lot of people to write letters on his behalf that we sent to the caseworker. "Important" people in their eyes-pastors, police officer friends, social workers, college profs...use any networks you have that know your husband well. Obviously my dh had already been up front with these people about his prior lifestyle and they were witness to the huge changes he had made in his life. I would say that your husband (?) needs to definitely show that his life has turned around-not just that he hasn't gotten into any trouble.

Licensing also interviewed my husband. I thought the interview went horribly-they really attacked him and his character and he ended up getting a but ticked off at them for their line of questioning.
But I got my license and had no problems with it since then
Solandia 08:08 AM 02-09-2015
Depends on the the what it was for, some things are automatic disqualifiers in your state. It depends. You will have to talk to someone in licensing about it. You might be able to appeal, and what kind of evidence you need to be successful. Licensing is completely within their rights to deny your daycare licensed based on someone's past record. But it is licensing's decision on how conservative they want to be. If is shows up on a bk check, then it is available to scrutiny.

Now, we could debate if a pbj should count, since i think it isn't supposed to be considered a conviction/guilty?...but it is still on the record, so there is that. Also this adult should contact a lawyer about getting it expunged, etc.
Heidi 08:09 AM 02-09-2015
WI has very specific background check rules. There are some crimes that age out, others that don't. Perhaps your state has the same.

I just searched WI Childcare background check and it led me to this:

http://dcf.wisconsin.gov/childcare/l...imes_table.pdf
Thriftylady 08:50 AM 02-09-2015
What is pbj?
Unregistered 09:21 AM 02-09-2015
Probation before judgment. Thanks
Everyone for your response. I really appreciate it.
Thriftylady 09:23 AM 02-09-2015
Never heard of that. But it would depend what it was for I am guessing. If it had anything to do with a child, it will be hard.
Annalee 09:24 AM 02-09-2015
In my state, there was a local provider whose sub's background check came back bad...it seems the sub had been questioned years earlier in another state about a murder....the sub was the last to see someone alive????? Anyway, the sub was allowed to be hired after licensing received more information. Not sure about your situation but it doesn't hurt to ask....we have had background checks come back bad here for providers who have participated in the riots of the 60's, prostitution, etc. Those background checks go wayyyyy back!
LysesKids 09:45 AM 02-09-2015
Originally Posted by blackwell:
Hello, my initial application for a family childcare was recently denied because of the other adult living in my home has a record which is 11 years old, he wasn't convicted but he received a pbj. And because and his 11 year old record I was denied. I want to appeal this so is there anyone that faced a situation like this and could give me any tips to help me win my appeal case. Thanks in Advance. Also, I live in Maryland if that helps any. Oh also in there regulations they have pdj and the type of charge he was facing but I didn't think it would affect my case since it was 11 years old and since then he has turned his life around
Part of why I am not in MD anymore... From my understanding, MD no longer expunges cases... even PBJ's, so if it's on the list, it might keep you from doing Childcare in MD even with the time elapsed. I have a son in MD who did 18 months (not child/sex related); he told me they were changing rules for expungement back in 2011 and that his record would never be cleared even if he did everything right ( he did and time was taken off)
Thriftylady 02:08 PM 02-09-2015
I hate to say it but sometimes I think they hold things to long. My DH got a DUI in 1989. ONE never did it again. When he went to school for his truck driver license, he also got for school bus but he can't drive one because of that DUI in 1989. I could see if he had repeat offenses, but never anything else on his record I think it is nuts.
Reply Up