Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>W-10's or Payment Statement For Termed Family
legomom922 08:26 AM 11-01-2010
So the family I termed last day is this thursday. Do I give them a W-10 on that day? or do I wait until the end of the yr? Do I have to use a W-10? Or should I just issue a record of payments? Whats the best way to handle this?

Thanks!
tenderhearts 08:32 AM 11-01-2010
I always send them at the beginning of the year for all my families, current and termd. I don't use a W-10, I use my own form showing the amount they paid, child ect, my social ect.
Abigail 11:02 PM 11-01-2010
According to the Record-Keeping Guide by Tom Copeland, Pages 10-11.

"If a client family leaves in the middle of the year, require the parent to sign a receipt for the child care fees that they have paid you for that part of the year. If the parents of a child are separated or divorced, and both parents are paying you a portion of the child care fees, give each parent a recipt for the amount that they paid you."

It says you can use a Form W-10 Dependent Care Provider's Identification and Certification, a form from a sale receipt book, or a form from the Family Child Care Business Receipt Book published by the Redleaf Press.

Make sure you include the following:
TODAY'S DATE
For Child Care Services for: CHILD'S FIRST AND LAST NAME
Dates FIRST DAY OF DAYCARE(Month, Day, and Year)---LAST DAY OF DAYCARE (Month, Day, and Year)
Paid: $X,***.**
Parent Signature:
Provider Signature:
legomom922 03:38 AM 11-02-2010
So I have given them a reciept every wk, so do I still give them a reciept for the total?

Is there any advantage to using a w-10 over a reciept?
momma2girls 05:10 AM 11-02-2010
Originally Posted by legomom922:
So the family I termed last day is this thursday. Do I give them a W-10 on that day? or do I wait until the end of the yr? Do I have to use a W-10? Or should I just issue a record of payments? Whats the best way to handle this?

Thanks!
I always do them after the new year and mail them out to those families every yr.
DCMomOf3 05:52 AM 11-02-2010
I have a family that has moved and I don't know their new address. Should I send to their old address?
MarinaVanessa 06:59 AM 11-02-2010
So I have given them a reciept every wk, so do I still give them a reciept for the total?

Is there any advantage to using a w-10 over a reciept?
Yes I would, more than likely your receipt only has your signature so I would do an end of year receipt with the total for the whole year (which the weekly receipts don't have) and then sign that and have them sign it also.

The only advantages that I can see from giving out a w-10 VS an end of year receipt is that a w-10 just gives them your information like your name, address, SSN or Tax ID etc. There is no spot on the w-10 for the end of year amount but you can always add it in. An end of year receipt is just a receipt with the dates that they were in care and the amount that was given to you as payent for daycare for the whole year. I just give both out at the end of the year but you can always just give a w-10 and write in the end-of year amount and the dates they were in care etc on the w-10 itself and have them sign that, just make sure that it's fille dout in pen.

Originally Posted by Quincy:
I have a family that has moved and I don't know their new address. Should I send to their old address?
If you know for sure that they have moved and you don't know their new address then you don't have to send anything. Technically if the family doesn't ask you for one you don't have to give them anything but I send them out anyway if I know their current address. If you don't know where the family moved to and if they want one then they need to contact you and request one and give you their new address. Once they ask you for one though you can't refuse.
Brookers 11:51 AM 12-06-2010
Is there a minimum amount that you are not required to send out a "Annual Child Care Income Report" or W10? I have a few parents who only paid me like 30 bucks or 100 bucks who skipped out on our contract early or something a long those lines. Thanks!
Blackcat31 12:12 PM 12-06-2010
I may be wrong, but I was always under the impression that it is the family's responsibility to get the W-10 form and bring it to you to fill out....if you have a family that moved or you don't know their address then it isn't your problem. If they want to claim it they need to come to you with the form so you can fill it out. I dunno, but that is what I always thought. I give all my parents a year end payment statement from the MMK software and when I have families who moved or don't come looking for theirs, I just file it with their paperwork.
MarinaVanessa 10:34 AM 12-07-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I may be wrong, but I was always under the impression that it is the family's responsibility to get the W-10 form and bring it to you to fill out....if you have a family that moved or you don't know their address then it isn't your problem. If they want to claim it they need to come to you with the form so you can fill it out. I dunno, but that is what I always thought. I give all my parents a year end payment statement from the MMK software and when I have families who moved or don't come looking for theirs, I just file it with their paperwork.
Yes this is true. This is what I meant earlier. If they don't ask you then you don't have to fill one out.
legomom922 05:49 AM 12-08-2010
I was under the impression, that you are safer if YOU fill out a W-10 because if you don't, the parents who may have used other sitters in the past, or even ocassionaly when you were not available or before they ever used you, *could* potentialy put everything they paid to someone else under YOUR tax ID number, and since a W-10 is not even required, if they dont bring it to you, and you dont give them one, where is your protection? Just a thought...So thats why I feel better filling it our and sending them one..
TomCopeland 02:10 PM 12-08-2010
The best way to protect yourself against a parent who may claim that they paid more for child care than they paid you, is to get the parent to sign an end-of-year receipt that indicates how much they paid you for the year. The receipt can be something you make up or you can use the W-10 for this purpose. The point is to get a parent signature and keep a copy for your records.
sierrastreasures 11:35 AM 12-10-2010

My last termed family demand a reciept of payments on the spot . After checking with the daycare association in my county and state, I was told that if I gave them one anytime earlier than the end of year then it would be concidered a curtesy. Officially each family recieves theirs at the end of the year period.
Unregistered 12:26 PM 08-10-2011
Originally Posted by sierrastreasures:
My last termed family demand a reciept of payments on the spot . After checking with the daycare association in my county and state, I was told that if I gave them one anytime earlier than the end of year then it would be concidered a curtesy. Officially each family recieves theirs at the end of the year period.
I am not a center, therefore if they get zip!!! If they want SS numbers ect. they can pay twice as much, to date no one has decided to go that route!!
Unregistered 06:53 AM 08-11-2011
You dont have to give out your SS number. Get an EIN and print them a w-10 at the end of care. Make them sign one and then keep one for yourself. Then if they claim something else later you

I have had parents knock on the door mid april and expect me to print one on the spot b/c they never got one when they were termed or just stopped coming. One time it was during nap and another time I was totally out of ink. Now I just give them one when they are done so I dont have to worry about seeing them again!
Tags:tax return, termination, w-10
Reply Up