Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Only 1 Problem Child out of 20....Keep or Don't Keep?
Christina72684 07:31 PM 10-01-2011
We have 20 kids enrolled, only 12 at a time per licensing, and of those 20 only one of them is a problem child. He is 2 years old and he is a bully. When other kids are playing with toys he will go up to them and rip the toys out of their hands, almost violently. We tell him no, but it doesn't seem to sink in. We put him in time out for 2 minutes and he cries sometimes, but then stops. As soon as he's out of time out he gets up and does it again. He doesn't speak very clearly, so we can only understand a few words, which I thought would be frustrating to him, but he doesn't really act like it. We did music time on Friday and everyone had the same instruments and he did fine then. It's just when the kids have different toys that he's the problem. He's very part time because his mom is a substitute teacher. He's done this the past 3 times he's been here, and I've told his mom every time. She says it's because he's sick and doesn't feel good. He's only seemed sick 1, maybe 2, of those times, and none of the other kids act that way when they've been sick. We're getting pretty full on a regular basis, so I told his mom that we are going to run out of room for him soon. She said she might be getting a full time job soon, so she might have him here full time. I hate to say this, but I don't want him full time if he's going to be a handful. I sort of know his mom from college and don't want to upset her. What should I do?
sharlan 07:49 PM 10-01-2011
#1 - IF he's sick, why's he there? He should be at home.

#2 - He may adjust better if he is there full time.
cheerfuldom 07:19 PM 10-02-2011
If he is very part time then I would term and give the spot to someone else (who is better behaved and there more often). You aren't doing daycare/preschool at this point so much as keeping him alive until mom gets back, you know? he's never going to get use to the rules, kids or environment when he shows up at random. You are expecting too much of a child that is probably home with mama and ruling the roost the rest of the time.
Tags:bully, stealing toys
Reply Up