Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Preschool Only?
melissa ann 12:32 PM 08-17-2012
Does anyone just do a preschool program? I'm thinking of doing that instead of full-day childcare. With my kids getting older, 1 in 2nd and 1 in kindy I have to make 3 bus stop trips (about a block & a half away). It's really a hassle with parents not showing up on time, and I have to leave (which I do, then can find me), crabby kids who don't want to go out in the rain, cold, hot, the snow, whatever weather we are having. My ds has pm kindy, so I was thinking of doing a morning preschool program, from 9-11:30. I got a curriculum (I've done preschool with the daycare kids for the 4 yrs I've done childcare) and the preschool work is what I really loved about doing childcare.
I would be able to get my kids to/from the bus stop without other kids around, have afternoons free to do errands, appts, etc and have summers off.
I was wondering what to charge. I was thinking $10/day. I would do Mon. Wed, Fri. and Tue, Thur.
There is a preschool in my town held in a church. Last year they charged $99 for the 3 day week. and $76 for the 2 day week. I think my rates come out a little higher, but classes there are only 2 hours mine would be 2 1/2 plus they closed for more holidays then I would. Ex. I would be open Columbus day, Mon after Thanksgiving. (they are closed on those two days.) and others.
I was thinking too, if it works out, next year when my son is in 1st grade, I might be able to add an afternoon class, but not for both schedules, Maybe just the 3 day week so I could still have 2 days/week for errands,etc.
Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
Oneluckymom 12:39 PM 08-17-2012
That sounds awesome. I wish I could do that !! But it wouldn't fly here...to much competition. If you think it would be in demand in your area and that is what parents look for rather than a full service daycare....THEN GO FOR IT!! it just really depends on the area.

Good luck !!
Country Kids 12:40 PM 08-17-2012
I did a preschool only at one time and loved it! Wish I could do it again-. Ah, those were the days.

The only reason I stopped is we couldn't financially afford it. I think I only was bring in like $600 a month. I had 6 kids and could of had more but that was all the room I had for.

I would go for it if you don't need the money. Also, I have a bad habit of putting money back into my childcare alot but still $600 wasn't very much.
DaisyMamma 12:43 PM 08-17-2012
It sounds awesome!
Happy Hearts 02:00 PM 08-17-2012
I wanted to do that!! But, where I live you must have your ECE to qualify for the licensing. So, I'm running my daycare with a preschool curriculum.
DaisyMamma 08:04 PM 08-17-2012
Originally Posted by Sparrow:
I wanted to do that!! But, where I live you must have your ECE to qualify for the licensing. So, I'm running my daycare with a preschool curriculum.
It seems to me like that's the same thing. You can still advertise "preschool curriculumn" and have preschool hours, right? So how can they say you can't do it? LOL

Anyway, I have been thinking about this post all day. I love the idea and the hours are better. I hope it works for you and I will try it at some point as well!
kendallina 05:11 AM 08-18-2012
This is what I do. I run 2 sessions, a MWF and a TTH from 9-noon. This fall, however, all of my kiddos are prekinder age and the parents wanted more hours, so I'll run each class from 9-2. I'm really excited for the extended program as the kids are now taking more time for projects and such and I'm finding that some days I feel like we have to rush to get to all of the things I want to do.

For the fall I am charging $280 for the MWF class and $200 for the TTH. I can take up to 5 children each day (and I have a DD that will be in the class, so 6 kids total). So I'll make $2400 each month and be off of work at 2:00, so not too bad.

Hope that helps!
Katy
DaisyMamma 07:24 AM 08-18-2012
Originally Posted by kendallina:
This is what I do. I run 2 sessions, a MWF and a TTH from 9-noon. This fall, however, all of my kiddos are prekinder age and the parents wanted more hours, so I'll run each class from 9-2. I'm really excited for the extended program as the kids are now taking more time for projects and such and I'm finding that some days I feel like we have to rush to get to all of the things I want to do.

For the fall I am charging $280 for the MWF class and $200 for the TTH. I can take up to 5 children each day (and I have a DD that will be in the class, so 6 kids total). So I'll make $2400 each month and be off of work at 2:00, so not too bad.

Hope that helps!
Katy
Sounds ideal. Do you find it hard to get kids?
SilverSabre25 07:36 AM 08-18-2012
Originally Posted by kendallina:

Hope that helps!
Katy
I'm hoping to get my Montessori certification someday and do pretty much the same thing. I think there's a demand in my area for an affordable Montessori preschool program. Most of them are WAY out of the reach of your average family. It's going to take a lot of work to set up though, so it's a very long-term plan
melissa ann 11:52 AM 08-18-2012
I've been working hard on setting up for preschool. Not too much extra work as I already did childcare for 4 yrs. I'm working on a new website, here it is. It's still a work in progress, mind you.
www.missyspreschoolprogram.webs.com

for those who wish to check it out. I did get a curriculum from carol's affordable curriculum and I really like it.
WImom 04:35 PM 08-18-2012
I plan to hopefully move to a preschool only program - one morning session and one afternoon session 3 or 4 days a week. Right now I need to do it full time but hopefully in a few years as I wean out the full time kids I will do this.

The preschool part of our day is my favorite. I'd also like to go with my kids school schedule and have off during the summer.
Happy Hearts 06:53 PM 08-18-2012
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
It seems to me like that's the same thing. You can still advertise "preschool curriculumn" and have preschool hours, right? So how can they say you can't do it? LOL

Anyway, I have been thinking about this post all day. I love the idea and the hours are better. I hope it works for you and I will try it at some point as well!
In the regulations it says we may only have one group of children. Here's a quote:

"(4) In respect of a licensee providing a care program described as Family Child Care or In-Home Multi-Age Child Care,

(a) the licensee may provide care to only one group of children"

So, I think I wouldn't be able to have 4 groups of children eg: MWF morning group, MWF afternoon group, T Th morning group and T Th afternoon group.
DaisyMamma 05:42 AM 08-19-2012
Originally Posted by Sparrow:
In the regulations it says we may only have one group of children. Here's a quote:

"(4) In respect of a licensee providing a care program described as Family Child Care or In-Home Multi-Age Child Care,

(a) the licensee may provide care to only one group of children"

So, I think I wouldn't be able to have 4 groups of children eg: MWF morning group, MWF afternoon group, T Th morning group and T Th afternoon group.
That's very strange. What if you have a bunch of part time kids, how can they tell you not to! The states sure likes to make our lives difficult
DaisyMamma 05:43 AM 08-19-2012
For those who do just preschool, how do you find kids?
Do you find that you need to advertise in different places then you would for full time daycare?
Tags:preschool, preschool only
Reply Up