Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DKB's Not Learning Basics...Help
WoodOx 08:09 PM 02-27-2013
Ok, so I have these 2 DKB's whom are siblings and are both turning 4 and 5 in 3 months. I have been caring for them for 9months.
they were previously in a daycare center and when I took them in they were down right bad. they had constant tantrums for lilttle things, lots of hitting and they wouldn't talk at all. the oldest DCB speech is hard to understand.

They have made improvement with not hitting one another and talk more and the tantrums have almost disappeared, but they are just not learning any basic kinder skills.

they dont even know the letter A I go over the basics on a daily basis, but they don't recognize the alphebets and can't seem to count to no more than 5 on their own. I dont know why they aren't grasping anything.
they other DKC's know ALL their basics without a problem and their 23months and 3yrs.

any advice would be helpful
NeedaVaca 04:50 AM 02-28-2013
Have you ever tried zoo phonics or something similar? I focus on 1 letter of the alphabet for 2 weeks, I get about 20 books to go with that letter from the library and we have motions to go with each letter. Even my 18 months pick it up by doing it this way! We also do arts & crafts based on the letter each week.

One series my kids love is Alphatales! Then all of our songs & poems are based on the letter as well.
cheerfuldom 05:49 AM 02-28-2013
if a 5 year old cannot count to five on their own, theres a problem here. are you seeing other delays? this just does not sound normal.
tenderhearts 08:38 AM 02-28-2013
I've noticed with a couple of my dck that for some reason when you show a flash card and ask what letter is this, they sit there and act like they have no idea and can't tell me, but if we're doing something totally different say reading a book or just coloring they will point out a letter and be able to identify it. I've also found alphabet bingo is great for helping identify letters. I will wirte the letter on the dry erase board, upper and lower case then they have to match it to their board. Most of my 2 1/2 yr olds can do it, and they think it's really fun.
WoodOx 09:21 AM 02-28-2013
thank you ladies, I have been taking it very slow with these 2 DCB's, letters A-G, upper and lower case letters. but then when I ask them with flash cards, they don't know them It is not sticking.

I will try the coloring page letters to see if that helps, but these boys don't like to color much. they aren't into learning, just want to play.
For circle time I make them join, but they kinda zone out.

As for counting the 5yr DCB can just barely can count to 5. He does not recognize his numbers either.

the other thing that makes it hard to stay consistant is that they only attent 3-4days out of the week and are part time.

DKM is just barely trying to teach them at home, which I find to my dismay.she should have done that a long time ago, not to mention she worked at the daycare center herself

I will keep trying b/c it is my goal to help children be prepared for when they start school
cheerfuldom 09:51 AM 02-28-2013
Originally Posted by WoodOx:
thank you ladies, I have been taking it very slow with these 2 DCB's, letters A-G, upper and lower case letters. but then when I ask them with flash cards, they don't know them It is not sticking.

I will try the coloring page letters to see if that helps, but these boys don't like to color much. they aren't into learning, just want to play.
For circle time I make them join, but they kinda zone out.

As for counting the 5yr DCB can just barely can count to 5. He does not recognize his numbers either.

the other thing that makes it hard to stay consistant is that they only attent 3-4days out of the week and are part time.

DKM is just barely trying to teach them at home, which I find to my dismay.she should have done that a long time ago, not to mention she worked at the daycare center herself

I will keep trying b/c it is my goal to help children be prepared for when they start school
well make sure to keep things balanced here. it is the parents responsibility to have them prepared for kindergarten or put them with a program that is the right fit for them. If you are doing what you can and the parents are not interested in putting them into a full time program, there is only so much you can do. dont get too stressed how with the full burden of getting these kids ready. obviously mom has enough experience where she really has no excuse to not recognize that they are not ready yet. but also, if these kids are doing well socially and behaviorally, i wouldnt stress about the academics. that is the easy part once they get into school.
butterfly 11:36 AM 02-28-2013
I would suggest the school district do an eval. Maybe there are some delays that they have that actually qualify them for services through the school district. Then the school district would be doing "therapy" sessions with them or maybe they'd qualify for a special education preschool ran through the school district. All of which is free. I commend your efforts to get them ready for school.
Willow 12:11 PM 02-28-2013
I'd suggest a pre-k eval as well. I'm actually surprised the 5 year old hasn't had one yet. Here they want parents to do one by age 4 to catch any trouble spots, and again at 5 to mark improvement and get the kiddo set up for kindy.

If there were speech and behavior delays it doesn't surprise me that they're also struggling academically but I agree that is NOT your burden. Please don't put that on your shoulders, it sounds like you're doing more than enough to try to help get them caught up.

If you'd still like to keep trying and need more ideas have you tried teaching using sensory enhancements? Sand paper letters or tracing in loose sand, 3-D letters to feel and turn over (even just the plastic magnet ones are great), snack time letters to eat (apples in the shape of an A, banana slices in the shape of a B, carrot sticks in the shape of a C....make sure you're having them touch, smell and taste each one while you go over the letter and sound it makes). Build out the letter with blocks, or toy cars during play inside, using leaves, flowers or rocks during play outside.

Same thing with counting. Use food, numbers, scented items (call me crazy but vanilla and almond extracts are super popular here - I put a dab on my lacing beads every once in awhile and it seems to relax and focus even the twitchiest more unfocused kids. I've also done lemon, orange and sandlewood). We count while also talking about shape, color, size and scent.

Anything to get the letters and numbers off the paper might help hit a different note with them.
MsLaura529 01:20 PM 02-28-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:

If you'd still like to keep trying and need more ideas have you tried teaching using sensory enhancements? Sand paper letters or tracing in loose sand, 3-D letters to feel and turn over (even just the plastic magnet ones are great), snack time letters to eat (apples in the shape of an A, banana slices in the shape of a B, carrot sticks in the shape of a C....make sure you're having them touch, smell and taste each one while you go over the letter and sound it makes). Build out the letter with blocks, or toy cars during play inside, using leaves, flowers or rocks during play outside.

Same thing with counting. Use food, numbers, scented items (call me crazy but vanilla and almond extracts are super popular here - I put a dab on my lacing beads every once in awhile and it seems to relax and focus even the twitchiest more unfocused kids. I've also done lemon, orange and sandlewood). We count while also talking about shape, color, size and scent.

Anything to get the letters and numbers off the paper might help hit a different note with them.

These are some great ideas ... I ws going to suggest sensory tracing as well - shaving cream is another good one to trace letters/numbers into. Bingo dot markers to fill it blanket outlined numbers/letters (could even correlate, one dot needed on the number one, two dots needed on the number two, etc.)

Maybe some physical actiites with counting? Hopping 5 times while counting outloud, 3 jumping jacks, etc. I have heard of people doing a whole workout routine like this, using a deck of cards - you could do a simpler version of this for the kids.

Also Willow - could you elaborate a little more on the scents? I'm intrigued ...
Willow 01:56 PM 02-28-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:

Also Willow - could you elaborate a little more on the scents? I'm intrigued ...
I didn't dive into that because my parents looked at me like I was a weirdo when I got all excited about it

I love the smell of almond extract. While baking I discovered the kids did too. The lacing beads got to smelling a little vinager-y from cleaning them so I swabbed the inside of the beads with some almond extract once. To say it was a hit was an understatement. Even the little guy I had who wasn't a fan of the beads (or fine motor skill work at all) started doing them and was more receptive to talking about their shapes and colors at the same time. He'd pick one up, take a deep sniff, smile and then happily lace it onto his string. As the scent wore off I tried others and each new smell brought a renewed interest in the beads. I enjoy using oils to scent the house which is where the lemon, orange and sandalwood came from. The vanilla and almond just came out of the baking cupboard. At one point I did all the blue beads with vanilla, the orange with orange, yellow with lemon, red with sandalwood and green with the almond.

I swear their brains grew 10x in size in that one sitting lol. Watching them try to sort out the rhyme and reason to the scents was fascinating. Seeing the light bulb come on as the older ones put it together I literally couldn't hold back my cheers lol. I still haven't found an activity to beat it but I am contently trying to sort out different ways to incorporate the scents in in other places.

I'm a big fan of using as many of the senses during learning as I can. Just happened to stumble onto this one way and they had a blast with it!

(I also every once in awhile will use a spritz of diluted lavender oil on their nap blankets. The effect is pretty impressive. They drop like flies if they smell it in any other capacity at this point )
Tags:milestones
Reply Up