Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Director Prices
jayewash 07:07 AM 09-01-2016
What is a reasonable amount to start a director out with when opening a brand new center? Should it be by salary or by the hour? I need all of the opinions I can get from my seasoned members.

Details: it's a two building center. One for school age and one for 6weeks through 5. The daycare will be open 24/7. I am also requiring her to come up with handbooks, daily reports, applications, you name it. Basically I am just the owner but she will run the daycare.
Reply
Controlled Chaos 08:51 AM 09-01-2016
The amount will depend on your area. I would do salary. Otherwise you will have lots of problems with overtime.
Reply
Leigh 08:56 AM 09-01-2016
Originally Posted by jayewash:
What is a reasonable amount to start a director out with when opening a brand new center? Should it be by salary or by the hour? I need all of the opinions I can get from my seasoned members.

Details: it's a two building center. One for school age and one for 6weeks through 5. The daycare will be open 24/7. I am also requiring her to come up with handbooks, daily reports, applications, you name it. Basically I am just the owner but she will run the daycare.
I think the job should be salaried, and honestly, you don't want my advice on price, I'm sure. I can tell you that I wouldn't touch a director job for less than $60,000.
Reply
Blackcat31 09:00 AM 09-01-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I think the job should be salaried, and honestly, you don't want my advice on price, I'm sure. I can tell you that I wouldn't touch a director job for less than $60,000.
Exactly! That was my first thought!

They are basically doing everything but owning the building and owning the building seems like a pretty small expense compared to "everything" running the child care entails.
Reply
Cat Herder 09:30 AM 09-01-2016
I just pulled up my published state data and it says $95,000.

Is that the promise they use to get tuition $$ from college students.
Reply
Controlled Chaos 09:39 AM 09-01-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I just pulled up my published state data and it says $95,000.

Is that the promise they use to get tuition $$ from college students.
There is no way! I would take one for $60,000 take home...so after taxes BUT...yea, I'm sure that's not the going rate
Reply
jayewash 10:44 PM 09-01-2016
I'm in TN and the going price is $42,600. I think that price may be reasonable.
Reply
LysesKids 05:02 AM 09-02-2016
Originally Posted by jayewash:
I'm in TN and the going price is $42,600. I think that price may be reasonable.
Just because that is the going price should it mean that is what should be offered... I know I wouldn't take the job for that amount. I make over half that working with just 4 kids in my house within 15 minutes of one of the larger cities of TN and I don't have all that responsibility. (that is Gross not net... I get the perks of deductions)

And yes, I have a degree and my childcare families say I'm underpaid lol.
Reply
Unregistered 06:08 AM 09-02-2016
I hear in Michigan here,the average is low 40s. If the center is 24/7, you are asking a lot of a director and they will expect to be compensated for that. I would think 70s would be a fair starting salary.
Reply
DaveA 06:39 AM 09-02-2016
I would do salaried. Because you're asking them to run the show completely and it's a 24/7 center find out what the higher end of the "average range" is in your area and add 25%. Unless you get real lucky the first time I would also count on going through a couple people before either bringing in the right fit or finding someone internally who will be the long term solution.
Reply
satcook 10:37 AM 09-02-2016
I'm a director and get paid well below what I'm worth, but I'm working on slowly changing that....

The job you are describing I wouldn't touch for less than $50,000. With a 24/7 center she will never be off duty and that will produce burnout very quickly.

Lori
Reply
Unregistered 11:55 PM 09-02-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Exactly! That was my first thought!

They are basically doing everything but owning the building and owning the building seems like a pretty small expense compared to "everything" running the child care entails.
It sounds to me like the OP probably isn't qualified to be the director. I.e. someone with the experience and education is going to be director while OP is just owns the building. I'd say 45K at lowest. I live in a high cost of living area. 60K seems like too much and no room for growth salary wise.
Reply
Blackcat31 08:49 AM 09-03-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
It sounds to me like the OP probably isn't qualified to be the director. I.e. someone with the experience and education is going to be director while OP is just owns the building. I'd say 45K at lowest. I live in a high cost of living area. 60K seems like too much and no room for growth salary wise.
The salary should be area specific for sure!

I make more than your lowest suggestion with a small one owner/operator show so for me it would take a lot more to "work for" someone else.

In my state the qualifications are becoming tighter and higher to be a director so it only make sense that the salary compensate the education as well as experience. Its not at all like it used to be... owning a center but hiring someone else to run it no longer seems to be a profitable idea here.
Reply
Unregistered 02:19 PM 09-03-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The salary should be area specific for sure!

I make more than your lowest suggestion with a small one owner/operator show so for me it would take a lot more to "work for" someone else.

In my state the qualifications are becoming tighter and higher to be a director so it only make sense that the salary compensate the education as well as experience. Its not at all like it used to be... owning a center but hiring someone else to run it no longer seems to be a profitable idea here.
I make more than 45k, too. I live in NJ. I made less when I used to work in a center as a director. I was making 35k. I could make it. Once my husband and I got a house, I said screw this and made our basement my daycare. 60k is a bit much. Unless you work for yourself, or in the school system, you'll never make a lot working with kids.Honestly, that's mostly who gets the director jobs someone with a teaching licence and BA/MA who can't get a board of ed job. In NJ, houses are expensive. Most people rent. You can't rent and do daycare.
Reply
jayewash 01:02 AM 09-06-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
It sounds to me like the OP probably isn't qualified to be the director. I.e. someone with the experience and education is going to be director while OP is just owns the building. I'd say 45K at lowest. I live in a high cost of living area. 60K seems like too much and no room for growth salary wise.

The role is actually reversed. I put the post as a owner to see if I would get better honest replies. But yes, I have been offered to be a director since I was unable to get my loan to open my center. The owner hasn't given me a set salary. I don't know what she is intending on paying me just yet but I wanted to know what I should expect. the owner is one that will just sit back and collect... Meanwhile... I'm doing all of the work including parent handbooks, employee handbooks, employee applications, websites, etc. I don't know what I got myself in but I hope I am compensated for this. This daycare is in the middle stages of opening. I am 6-8 weeks out.
Reply
Blackcat31 07:02 AM 09-06-2016
Originally Posted by jayewash:
The role is actually reversed. I put the post as a owner to see if I would get better honest replies. But yes, I have been offered to be a director since I was unable to get my loan to open my center. The owner hasn't given me a set salary. I don't know what she is intending on paying me just yet but I wanted to know what I should expect. the owner is one that will just sit back and collect... Meanwhile... I'm doing all of the work including parent handbooks, employee handbooks, employee applications, websites, etc. I don't know what I got myself in but I hope I am compensated for this. This daycare is in the middle stages of opening. I am 6-8 weeks out.
So you were dishonest hoping we'd be more apt to be honest??

Um, okay... because that really makes me want to help you out now....
Reply
Mike 07:31 AM 09-06-2016
Originally Posted by jayewash:
The role is actually reversed. I put the post as a owner to see if I would get better honest replies.
And what makes you think you wouldn't have gotten any help if you were honest? If you read a couple days worth of posts here, you would have seen that we try to help each other out, from either side. Being dishonest, for any reason, is not a good way to start.

I get you. A long time ago I used to think like that myself, but I smartened up one day and realised there is really never a good or right time to lie. If a situation ever comes up where you can't tell the truth, you're better off not saying anything at all.
Reply
Unregistered 07:50 PM 09-07-2016
Originally Posted by jayewash:
The role is actually reversed. I put the post as a owner to see if I would get better honest replies. But yes, I have been offered to be a director since I was unable to get my loan to open my center. The owner hasn't given me a set salary. I don't know what she is intending on paying me just yet but I wanted to know what I should expect. the owner is one that will just sit back and collect... Meanwhile... I'm doing all of the work including parent handbooks, employee handbooks, employee applications, websites, etc. I don't know what I got myself in but I hope I am compensated for this. This daycare is in the middle stages of opening. I am 6-8 weeks out.
I'm not annoyed you didn't reveal everything about yourself, because I don't feel we should online. However, I doubt there's much we can do to help you or you to help yourself in the situation at hand. The owner has a budget. Unfortunately, in this economy, someone will do the work for less.
Reply
LysesKids 08:10 PM 09-07-2016
Originally Posted by jayewash:
The role is actually reversed. I put the post as a owner to see if I would get better honest replies. But yes, I have been offered to be a director since I was unable to get my loan to open my center. The owner hasn't given me a set salary. I don't know what she is intending on paying me just yet but I wanted to know what I should expect. the owner is one that will just sit back and collect... Meanwhile... I'm doing all of the work including parent handbooks, employee handbooks, employee applications, websites, etc. I don't know what I got myself in but I hope I am compensated for this. This daycare is in the middle stages of opening. I am 6-8 weeks out.
I have a few questions... have you ever done childcare even out of your own home? I ask because the last 2 centers that tried to copycat me failed (I am a home childcare, but unique in how I run) - neither had any experience as an home daycare owner much less a director of a center; degrees don't give real life experience & without that you are doomed.

The fact you are begging for help means you have no clue what it will involve & my guess is you will quit within a year because of burn out... and in TN you have to get a waiver for a 24/7 childcare center... if you read the rules... and I pray that you have read the regulations, without a waiver, centers can only run 6am-6pm. I do not know of one 24/7 center in this state. the closest one that is open is 6:30am-11pm
Reply
jayewash 06:18 PM 09-15-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
So you were dishonest hoping we'd be more apt to be honest??

Um, okay... because that really makes me want to help you out now....
Well you've already answered the question now... Thanks
Reply
jayewash 06:21 PM 09-15-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm not annoyed you didn't reveal everything about yourself, because I don't feel we should online. However, I doubt there's much we can do to help you or you to help yourself in the situation at hand. The owner has a budget. Unfortunately, in this economy, someone will do the work for less.
You are completely right. I feel like being so inexperienced I may have to take what I'm given. Also I'll get an extra check from being a shareholder but from my understanding you don't profit as an shareholder until the company starts to make money.
Reply
daycare 06:23 PM 09-15-2016
I am confused. You took a job and they have not told you how much you are going to be paid? That is your mistake right there.

Correct me if I am wrong...
Reply
jayewash 06:24 PM 09-15-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I have a few questions... have you ever done childcare even out of your own home? I ask because the last 2 centers that tried to copycat me failed (I am a home childcare, but unique in how I run) - neither had any experience as an home daycare owner much less a director of a center; degrees don't give real life experience & without that you are doomed.

The fact you are begging for help means you have no clue what it will involve & my guess is you will quit within a year because of burn out... and in TN you have to get a waiver for a 24/7 childcare center... if you read the rules... and I pray that you have read the regulations, without a waiver, centers can only run 6am-6pm. I do not know of one 24/7 center in this state. the closest one that is open is 6:30am-11pm

The owner does have a waiver and no.... Although I lack experience as a director I'm not the type of person who will just quit. I'm not begging for help I just asked for opinions and I see some are just not necessary but thanks anyway.
Reply
jayewash 06:25 PM 09-15-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
I am confused. You took a job and they have not told you how much you are going to be paid? That is your mistake right there.

Correct me if I am wrong...

I stopped all operations until I was presented a contract... I recieved that yesterday.
Reply
daycare 06:29 PM 09-15-2016
ok now I am more confused...lol
so you know how much you are going to be paid, but came here to ask how much do you think a director should be paid??

sorry, I am slow.

I will say that it sounds like you are really trying to research, but it's hard to help you when everything is so confusing.
Reply
jayewash 07:37 PM 09-15-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
ok now I am more confused...lol
so you know how much you are going to be paid, but came here to ask how much do you think a director should be paid??

sorry, I am slow.

I will say that it sounds like you are really trying to research, but it's hard to help you when everything is so confusing.

I made this post before I was given a contract.
Reply
daycare 07:54 PM 09-15-2016
Originally Posted by jayewash:
I made this post before I was given a contract.
Told you I was slow. Lol
Reply
LysesKids 08:41 PM 09-15-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
Told you I was slow. Lol
Wrong person
Reply
LysesKids 08:43 PM 09-15-2016
Originally Posted by jayewash:
I made this post before I was given a contract.
The fact you were given a waiver... and a 24/7 one is a miracle in this state... I would love to know where you are exactly; I work 15 hrs with babies now (at one time 18 hrs) and I hate it, but it's only for the one semester... usually I have a 12 hr limit. I pray that you have a really good salary because you will get calls middle of the night
Reply
Tags:director, franchise
Reply Up