Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>White Walls: How Would You Decorate?!
Christina72684 06:29 AM 02-03-2014
We've had our preschool open for about a year and a half now and I'm bored with the white walls. When we built it we had no clue what we wanted to do, so we left the walls white. Now I'm ready for something fun for the kids. Here's the set up:

24x32 room with a wooden column in the middle of the room and light brownish tile.

Several places there are big open spaces where a mural or something could go, but we also have 4 big windows and 2 doors

I don't want too much "going on" so we can hang up art work or decorations and it not feel too busy.

In 2 weeks we are getting a 8 foot chalkboard from a business that is closing and I have 2 other spaces to put up bulletin boards, but haven't since Christmas.

Would you leave the walls white and somehow add color? Would you color the walls different colors? Would you do murals? Bright colors or pastels? Pretend your options are endless....what would you do that you think the kids would enjoy the best? Oh, and this room is used for preschoolers and after schoolers only.

I will try and post pictures at nap to help you see it better
nanglgrl 06:52 AM 02-03-2014
Rainbows hands down. lol, not sure about the rest of the room but I transformed the column in the middle of my room into a tree. It changes with the seasons so now it's just bare branches with snow. With the brown tiles I would go natural colors in the room.
Blackcat31 07:30 AM 02-03-2014
I would use big open walls as a place to display art work from the kids.

You could put them in frames or leave them as is and change them out frequently.

I would also consider magnetic paint so the whole wall is magnetic....it is awesome and the kids love it!

...or chalk board paint
...or the wipe off board paint

Walls are often over looked as play space
butterfly 08:44 AM 02-03-2014
My walls are all murals in my classroom. I do have sections where the kids can play on the walls. Magnetic walls, dry erase, etc. Everyone always marvels at all the murals on my walls and I think that tends to set me apart - as silly as that seems - by just having fun walls... I think parents get the impression that I must REALLY love kids if I'm dedicated enough to paint my walls that way.
Sunshine74 09:52 AM 02-03-2014
If you want to try something not perminant, get some of those wall stickers. They have them for every session/holiday, so you could switch then up. And if you are careful when you take them down, they will last a few years. I let my toddlers help me put them up, and they love helping to decorate the room.
Heidi 11:05 AM 02-03-2014
Check out the decor group. There's lots of pictures of our programs there.

I don't have a designated daycare space, really, and we have wood walls, so there's not a lot of options for me. But, here are some ideas for displaying artwork:

https://www.google.com/search?q=disp...w=1241&bih=606
Annalee 11:11 AM 02-03-2014
Originally Posted by Sunshine74:
If you want to try something not perminant, get some of those wall stickers. They have them for every session/holiday, so you could switch then up. And if you are careful when you take them down, they will last a few years. I let my toddlers help me put them up, and they love helping to decorate the room.
I love those wall stickers as well. Many thrift stores will have them very cheap. I have the alphabet, recycling, some disney ones. My walls are a cream/eggshell color, plus I have the rough-paint which I think lasts longer. I put the color 2 x 2 interlocking mats down on the floor, so I like how it all meshes together.
Blackcat31 11:16 AM 02-03-2014
Originally Posted by dapb45:
I love those wall stickers as well. Many thrift stores will have them very cheap. I have the alphabet, recycling, some disney ones. My walls are a cream/eggshell color, plus I have the rough-paint which I think lasts longer. I put the color 2 x 2 interlocking mats down on the floor, so I like how it all meshes together.
I have a cri-cut machine and make my own vinyl wall words.

TOTALLY worth the cost and VERY useable in a ton of other areas!
Christina72684 11:21 AM 02-03-2014
Do you do the chalkboard/magnetic/white erase paint floor to ceiling, or just where they can reach?

We have another building that has murals. The kitchen/eating area is a farm with farm animals and a pond, the infant room is white with big black circles (since those are the colors they see first), the bathroom is like being under water, and the nap room is dark blue with glow in the dark stars. Eventually we will paint the living room/play room a jungle but just haven't yet.

When seeing that I feel so plain. I thought about doing bright colors some how, like shooting paint balls or splattering paint. But I like the idea of murals as well.

I've been trying to add pictures of the place so you can see our set up but it won't let me add them.
Christina72684 11:23 AM 02-03-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I have a cricut but haven't cute the vinyl on it before. Is it pretty easy to do?
Annalee 11:23 AM 02-03-2014

That is cool! I have used the local teacher's center to make them. I would love to have my own machine.
Blackcat31 11:24 AM 02-03-2014
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
I have a cricut but haven't cute the vinyl on it before. Is it pretty easy to do?
yes! I wish I would have discovered it sooner.
Christina72684 11:24 AM 02-03-2014
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
Rainbows hands down. lol, not sure about the rest of the room but I transformed the column in the middle of my room into a tree. It changes with the seasons so now it's just bare branches with snow. With the brown tiles I would go natural colors in the room.
Did you use real branches or make them out of something? Our column is already woody because we planned on using it for a tree, but haven't figured out how to do it yet.
Sunshine74 05:34 PM 02-03-2014

That is on my someday list.
missy 08:55 PM 02-03-2014
Ooo, I would love to hear how you made the column tree too:+) I have a column right smack in the middle of the room.
nanglgrl 07:11 AM 02-04-2014
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
Did you use real branches or make them out of something? Our column is already woody because we planned on using it for a tree, but haven't figured out how to do it yet.
Originally Posted by missy:
Ooo, I would love to hear how you made the column tree too:+) I have a column right smack in the middle of the room.
I used balsa wood and just used tiny nails to nail it on. It was really easy to do. Here is a picture of the fall tree, in the summer it has green leaves and a bird and the winter it's bare branches with white fluff and glitter mixed in to look like snow. It works really well to go with our themes and brings the outdoors in. In the fall I take a few leaves off daily and throw them on the floor and the children love picking them up. I used wooden safety pins that I painted dark brown and used wood glue to attach them to the tree so I could clip the leaves on. I found all of the leaves at the Dollar Store.
Attached: 1385215_10202160240592586_1560521174_n.jpg (67.8 KB) 
spinnymarie 07:19 AM 02-04-2014
I plan to do at least one whole wall top to bottom in magnetic paint -- the parts they can't reach can hold artwork hung with magnets

I love the tree idea, I definitely plan to do that.

Our fire requirements say no more than 30% (or so) can be flammable artwork, so I have to think carefully.

I'll probably do vinyl on our other main wall.

I love the glow-in-the-dark stars in the nap room idea! So cute!
mountainside13 08:15 AM 02-04-2014
I used balsa wood and just used tiny nails to nail it on. It was really easy to do. Here is a picture of the fall tree, in the summer it has green leaves and a bird and the winter it's bare branches with white fluff and glitter mixed in to look like snow. It works really well to go with our themes and brings the outdoors in. In the fall I take a few leaves off daily and throw them on the floor and the children love picking them up. I used wooden safety pins that I painted dark brown and used wood glue to attach them to the tree so I could clip the leaves on. I found all of the leaves at the Dollar Store.
Oh my goodness!!!! I LOVE your set up!!!!
missy 07:12 PM 02-04-2014
Originally Posted by spinnymarie:
I plan to do at least one whole wall top to bottom in magnetic paint -- the parts they can't reach can hold artwork hung with magnets

I love the tree idea, I definitely plan to do that.

Our fire requirements say no more than 30% (or so) can be flammable artwork, so I have to think carefully.

I'll probably do vinyl on our other main wall.

I love the glow-in-the-dark stars in the nap room idea! So cute!
I used balsa wood and just used tiny nails to nail it on. It was really easy to do. Here is a picture of the fall tree, in the summer it has green leaves and a bird and the winter it's bare branches with white fluff and glitter mixed in to look like snow. It works really well to go with our themes and brings the outdoors in. In the fall I take a few leaves off daily and throw them on the floor and the children love picking them up. I used wooden safety pins that I painted dark brown and used wood glue to attach them to the tree so I could clip Lovleaves on. I found all of the leaves at the Dollar Store.
Love it, thanks for sharing!

I saw a neat one online too that looked like it had black garbage bags wrapped around it then smeared with white paint, giving it the appearance of bark.
Tags:daycare setup, decorating
Reply Up