Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child Leashes
Josiegirl 02:32 AM 07-25-2018
I always viewed them as a negative thing, until I had my own runaway child. Now I can see them as a very valuable safety tool. My question is this: in September I will have a 15 mo, a 3 mo, and a 2 yo(a runner, I can tell).
My options are:
1. use a double stroller for the 2 youngest ones and a child safety harness for the 2 yo,
2. use the double stroller for the older 2 and a front pack for the 3 mo,
3. or buy a triple stroller.
What to do?
I'm leaning towards #1 but trying to think of pros/cons I might not be thinking of. Plus I bring my 2 dogs out on leashes every time we go outside so that's a consideration to include as well.
Thanks for any input you might have.
mamamanda 04:03 AM 07-25-2018
I always hated child leashes... until my newly 2 yo dcb ran away from me at the library & made it all the way to the front door before I caught him. Now I love them! I don't like to use them long term, but as a training advice they work wonders for me. I use a double stroller for my under 2s & my 2 yos wear a monkey back pack with leash tail attached. They actually like their "monkeys." I teach them to walk next to the stroller on either side of me with one hand on the stroller, but the leash provides added security in the event they try to run. I keep it wrapped tightly around my hand when we start & let it out further as they earn my trust. Hopefully by 3 they are confident & successful walkers. I have used this system for about a year & I'm happy with the results for each kid I've trained so far.
Blackcat31 06:19 AM 07-25-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I always viewed them as a negative thing, until I had my own runaway child. Now I can see them as a very valuable safety tool. My question is this: in September I will have a 15 mo, a 3 mo, and a 2 yo(a runner, I can tell).
My options are:
1. use a double stroller for the 2 youngest ones and a child safety harness for the 2 yo,
2. use the double stroller for the older 2 and a front pack for the 3 mo,
3. or buy a triple stroller.
What to do?
I'm leaning towards #1 but trying to think of pros/cons I might not be thinking of. Plus I bring my 2 dogs out on leashes every time we go outside so that's a consideration to include as well.
Thanks for any input you might have.
Have you talked to the parent about it?

I have nothing against any of those options as they all provide a level of safety that is absolutely vital for us as child care providers but I do try to consider how parents view those options.....plus they might have some other ideas that work for their child.

I know I have on parent that would have had a fit if I put a "leash" on her child. Even for legit reasons. and another who would have dislike me having her child put in a stroller..... (long story...but something parent has expressed)

Personally, I use a stroller for non-walkers or the under 2 crowd but anyone over age 2 that is not able to walk without darting off, is required to hold onto a looped length of mesh (leash-like) fabric tied to the stroller. The other kids buddy up and follow along like little ducks.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably use a harness or a leash for sure until you trust that he isn't going to dart off unexpectedly.
Ariana 07:37 AM 07-25-2018
I bought one for my own child because I was a paranoid first time parent who thought kids were crazy! Lol. I never ended up using it.

I don’t take runners anywhere. The last time we tried to go for a walk the 2 yr old ran towards the street. This indicates to me that mom does not ever take her anywhere unless she is in a stroller and it’s not my job to teach her how to walk in a group if mom is not engaging at home. Now we just play in the yard unless I invest in a double stroller. I wouldn’t use a leash on a daycare kid personally.
CalCare 07:53 AM 07-25-2018
[I want to share what happened to my sister. She was pushing a stroller, had a baby in a front pack and was walking her dog on leash when another dog (off leash) attacked her dog. There was nothing she could do with all hands full. Her dog was put down due to the injuries. It was horrible. It's a lot to manage stroller, baby carrier, a runner toddler plus two dogs when something comes up and you have no way of handling it.
Josiegirl 09:20 AM 07-25-2018
Thanks for your input everybody. I've actually spoken with dcm about child leashes before because she knows what her 2 dds are like. Dcm was telling me how her youngest had opened her child-proofing gate by banging on it the other day. And just this morning, dcg managed to climb over my gate I have protecting the dcks from my living room stairs. Wait'll I put the barbed wire across the top.
I've never had 2 such strong-willed, able-bodied dcks in my whole working career.

I have my 2 dogs each leashed with a training leash, very similar to the Gentle Leader leashes, only much shorter. And the only place I bring the dcks is into my backyard but it's enough of a trek that I have to ensure everyone will stay safe. Once we're out back, the yard is all fenced in. I used to take them all for walks up our hill but I don't anymore. Everybody owns a dog on our street now. And I wouldn't trust even the 4 and 5 yos I have, to listen well enough. Kinda makes me sad because we had some great treasure hunts and watching farm animals up the road.

I like the monkey pack harness idea; will talk with dcm again to make sure she's okay with it.
rosieteddy 12:24 PM 07-25-2018
If you are only going in the yard I would train him to walk.I used safety strap for 2 yrs and up.It strapped around the childs wrist and then I looped it to stroller.The child held onto the handle and the strap was just in case.Get or use a double for the other 2 children.
hwichlaz 01:53 PM 07-25-2018
When I was younger, I'd have done an ergo for the baby and double stroller for the other two. Now I'm too old and grumpy to wear one baby while pushing two. So I'd get the harness.
Josiegirl 02:32 AM 07-26-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
When I was younger, I'd have done an ergo for the baby and double stroller for the other two. Now I'm too old and grumpy to wear one baby while pushing two. So I'd get the harness.
Haha, that's exactly the way I'm feeling too.
I saw some cute backpack harnesses and also simpler ones that just attach to their wrist and an adult.
nannyde 05:43 AM 07-26-2018
Search tot-a-long Safety first

I used those and just attached one side to the kids wrist and one to the stroller for the walkers. Loved them.
Josiegirl 03:45 PM 07-26-2018
Will check out the tot-a-long because I will definitely need something for this child. Very precocious, inventive, sneaky, fast, you name it. No way do I want to think I can train her. Lol Her sister going through this age almost gave me a heart attack several times.

I finally broke down and ordered a twin jogging stroller today. I needed those kind of tires that go on the jogging strollers because we go over a rock path. I didn't want to spend the $185. but the 1 I have now is quickly falling apart. I paid a huge 10 bucks at a yard sale last summer, used it all through the year(snow, ice, mud) so it's served me well.
Pestle 04:02 PM 07-26-2018
Thanks, nannyde! I have one who sprints perpendicular to the group, and she mumbles and wails and refuses to walk when I put her hand on the stroller. She's testing her boundaries at the moment. I'm not sure the wrist strap will work, but it'd be good to have a couple on hand.
Tags:child safety, leashes, safety items, safety of children, strollers, walking harness, walking ropes
Reply Up