Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Weird Feeling About New Enrollment
kitykids3 01:52 PM 01-17-2013
So in late November/early December, I was meeting with a family that now want to start their 3 month old in March, when done with maternity leave.
Usually I am super excited about new enrollments, but something feels weird about this.

At the interview they asked about rates and said that every other Friday the child would not be here, but would be here 9.5-10 hours every other day. I told them at the interview that it would be FT rate every week because FT is over 35 hours per week. Dad had been asking why the 4 day weeks weren't charged hourly so I had to explain it to him. I also told them I would get back to them as to what I would charge as a holding fee. So the next couple days we emailed and I told them I would charge $25 per week to hold.
I hear nothing. Fast forward to last week (3 weeks later). Got email saying they had the baby and have been chaotic. Dad calls me yesterday. He is again trying to 'understand' why the 4 day weeks are charged FT rate instead of hourly, so I explain to him again. He says he doesn't understand but it is what it is. Mind you, they looked at a variety of places and really liked mine best.
So we set up a time for him to come drop off the 2 week tuition and paperwork next Monday. Nothing is said about the holding fee.

So I'm not sure if it's that he was trying to get me to lower my fees for him or he really didn't understand. I also don't know if I feel fishy about this cuz they were MIA for 3 weeks and nothing was said about the holding fee, or that I don't want a baby here for 10 hours a day (which also makes me have to open 15min. early everyday), or just don't want an infant. I thought I did a couple months ago because my 2 youngest are now 12 months.

I also have a $6/hour charge for anything over 9.5 hours per day. He did not mention anything specifically about dollar amount he's bringing Monday and I didn't mention it.

I don't know if I really want this new enrollment and can't place my finger on why. I don't have kids of my own...would you really go 3 weeks without answering an important email like that to secure a spot at daycare? Or do you think he's trying to play games. Honestly, if I am going to take on a 10 hour per day infant, I want to enforce all my fees. I just don't know what to say. I have been used to being lenient in the past, but now I am a 4 star rated, practically full (this is my last spot) daycare and don't feel I need to be that lenient to have clients anymore. Any thoughts? I'm thinking maybe I might try it for now. I won't be able to do as much this summer again, cuz of an infant, but I do have an assistant who's hours will be going up.

Ok, sorry so long. I just haven't felt hesitant like this before about a new enrollment, or what to say to have my backbone about this.
Willow 02:03 PM 01-17-2013
Originally Posted by kitykids3:
He did not mention anything specifically about dollar amount he's bringing Monday and I didn't mention it.
I think this will be your sticking point.

If you are still on the fence about it you really need to be proactive and nail down the total dollar amount you have explained before. If he asks for a breakdown give it to him, and stick to it.

If however you have chosen not to go forward this family let them know they didn't pay the holding fee and the spot has unfortunately be filled. Gets you out of the situation and still leaves them some time to find other care for their child.

Either way you should probably sort it out asap. The longer you wait, the harder it's going to get!
daycare 02:31 PM 01-17-2013
In my experience when it comes to DCP keep questioning the same thing over and over, like this dad, it is becuase they are hoping for a different answer. They are hoping that you will see where they are going with their constant asking and give them a different answer hopefully in their favor.

I have a dcp like this and they drive me nuts......BUT when this parent does it, I will just say something like....opps looks like maybe a quick read of our daycare policies again will help you to answer that question. It normally gets them to stop...

But in this case, the parent has yet to enroll. I think that it sounds normal to not get back to you for a period of time, sounds like a good excuse. It would be the constant explaining that would bother me
cheerfuldom 03:06 PM 01-17-2013
Put them on a trial basis.

send them a letter outlining your total fees and when they are due. Itemize what is due so far and the total amount. Then tell them their future weekly amount.

again, let them know this is a trial basis and the fees as described are not negotiable.
Sprouts 06:54 PM 01-17-2013
They sound like they're on a tight budget lol he probably didnt want to pay a holding fee.

stick to your guns now or regret it later. Make sure they know and UNDERSTAND all of your fees and policies. I know it feels uncomfortable to talk about but it will save head aches later. In my contract I have a list of the most important policies and next to each item theere is a space where BOTH parents must initial. I point it out at first, I wait until they give it back, if its blank I know they didn't read it so I give it back and make sure everything is signed they way the instructions say.

I would ultimately follow your gut feeling though
laundrymom 07:27 PM 01-17-2013
If your spidey sense is going haywire, best to listen to it.
coolconfidentme 08:25 PM 01-17-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:

If however you have chosen not to go forward this family let them know they didn't pay the holding fee and the spot has unfortunately be filled. Gets you out of the situation and still leaves them some time to find other care for their child.
AGREED! If you are having reservations, a quick email that says the position is not longer available. Maybe a half heart apology that this could have been avoided with the previously mentioned holding fee & a best of luck tagged on the end.
kitykids3 07:37 AM 01-18-2013
So I just sent an email to them giving them the total for the 2 weeks (which included the overtime rate of $27), and asked how they would be paying the holding fee for the remaining 8 weeks. I also put in some niceties, but now at least they know everything. We'll see what happens, but at least I got it out there so that is a load off my back. I have no idea how I run a successful business when I am horrible at social skills and communicating. No idea!
thanks everyone for your support!
NeedaVaca 08:15 AM 01-18-2013
I keep wondering if they are trying to slow down the process to get out of paying the holding fee...every week that goes by you are holding this spot for them but they haven't paid you yet, if they can keep stretching it out with slow communication then every week that goes by they are saving more money?
laundrymom 08:56 AM 01-18-2013
So I just sent an email to them giving them the total for the 2 weeks (which included the overtime rate of $27), and asked how they would be paying the holding fee for the remaining 8 weeks. I also put in some niceties, but now at least they know everything. We'll see what happens, but at least I got it out there so that is a load off my back. I have no idea how I run a successful business when I am horrible at social skills and communicating. No idea!
thanks everyone for your support!
You found us!!!

And even though she's not here all the time, we have a Nannyde.

The avengers had tony stark & Thor. You got Nannyde.

You'll get through this.
MarinaVanessa 09:23 AM 01-18-2013
I'm glad that you responded back to them and if you don't get a response back by today I would follow it up with a phone call. The last thing you need is for a parent to say that they didn't get the email or didn't read it yet until it's too late. I never rely on only one source of communication and actually I prefer to speak to them directly in person or over the phone and then follow it up in an email. I sometimes also write up an email and follow that up instead with a phone call "Hi Larry. I just wanted to touch bases with you again and confirm that you will be coming by on Monday. I sent you an email with the details regarding the fees and deposit so that way enrollment can be completed all by Monday. Thanks."

If he asks you again about why he pays for all days and hours even when the child isn't at daycare I would simply say

"Because that is the way that I run my daycare business and that is what all of my clients pay. If you are not 100% comfortable with that then this just isn't the right daycare for you and that's OK. If that's the case then I strongly suggest that you keep looking for different childcare arrangements" all spoken kindly, matter of factly and with an understanding and gentle smile.

As for the holding fee issue ... it's hard to say whether or not they are simply trying to save themselves money or not by stalling but either way this is something you should have added in your email or call them about. They should pay at least one month's worth of holding fee (I hope you made it non-refundable) and require it to be paid on Monday otherwise have them fill out enrollment paperwork but NOT the contract. You can fill out a contract but don't have them sign it and explain that until you receive the deposit and 1st month's holding fee that their spot is not held. Give them a week to come back with all of the required fees and deposits and let them know that if they pass the deadline that you will continue to look for another client. For me, money talks. I wouldn't take anyone's word for it.
kitykids3 11:31 AM 01-18-2013
So they emailed back already saying thanks for the total, they will also pay the complete holding fee in full on Monday, that baby's checkup went well and is drinking well from the bottle this week.

Yay! Now, I am ready to take on this new enrollment and be happy about it.
cheerfuldom 11:33 AM 01-18-2013
So they emailed back already saying thanks for the total, they will also pay the complete holding fee in full on Monday, that baby's checkup went well and is drinking well from the bottle this week.

Yay! Now, I am ready to take on this new enrollment and be happy about it.
great update! they could have been stalling for a number of reason but the solution is always to have clear communication in writing with a deadline for response....there is no way to be clearer!
MarinaVanessa 12:20 PM 01-18-2013
Oh good. I really hope that everything turns out okay for you
Tags:new family, red flag, weird
Reply Up