Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Off Topic...Need Some Book Recommendations
Tdhmom 06:30 PM 07-14-2014
I'm off next week for a training class and get a hotel room to myself....ekkkk I'm seriously so excited!! I'm trying to get the hubby and kids to hold off a couple days so I can have some quality time with something I absolutely love to do but never have the time to....GET LOST IN SOME BOOKS!!!

I'm all for a love story...I got lost in the 44 series by Jools Sinclair and those are ghost stories (with a very sad love story mixed in there), Nicholas Sparks, I really like Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire...liked it so much I read Walking Disaster from the guys point of view

My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares was great. I liked the Hunger Games (who didn't?!). I'm a fan of Jodi Picoult, read a few of hers and never been disappointed. The Fault in our Stars was a good one.

I even signed up for Good Reads and everything they have suggested I haven't really gotten past the first couple chapters...

Any and all suggestions please!!! I'm going to the library tomorrow evening to stock up TIA
AmyKidsCo 06:42 PM 07-14-2014
I like light reading with happy endings. My current favorites are Nora Roberts romances and Nora Roberts writing as J.D. Robb, sci fi murder mysteries set in the future.
sahm1225 07:58 PM 07-14-2014
I love Sophie kinsella books. They are quick easy reads. I love Undomestic goddesd!!
Baby lady 08:27 PM 07-14-2014
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

"FAVORITE READER COMMENT OF THE DAY:

"When people see me engrossed in the book, they ask "what do you like about it?" Aside from the inevitable eye roll, I tell them :"it's all in here. Everything you ever wanted to know about anything that truly mattered"!!
Marriage, parenthood, life, loss, tears, joy, healing, love, hate, humor, history, etc.
And the chapter titles? Heck, someone needs to come up with a Book Award just for those alone!"
Meyou 02:27 AM 07-15-2014
If you read Outlander PLEASE just get through the first 40 pages of the first book in whatever way you want. It is AMAZING after that but it took me several years to struggle through that first section of the first book and discover one of my favorite series ever.
lovemykidstoo 04:52 AM 07-15-2014
I just started reading Jodi Picoults "Keeping Faith" and I cannot put it down. Can't wait to read more from her. I've always been a murder/mystery book person,, but have found that those books are all the same, just different names. My sister-in-law recommended Jodi Picoult and I have to say, she is fantastic!

Tdhmom, you said you read Jodi Picoult, have you ever read Keeping Faith?
MommaB3 06:04 AM 07-15-2014
I liked the Hunger Games (who didn't?!).

Since you liked Hunger Games, have you read the Divergent Series by Veronica Roth? I personally thought this series was WAY better than Hunger Games.
Kimskiddos 06:13 AM 07-15-2014
Originally Posted by Baby lady:

"When people see me engrossed in the book, they ask "what do you like about it?" Aside from the inevitable eye roll, I tell them :"it's all in here. Everything you ever wanted to know about anything that truly mattered"!!
Marriage, parenthood, life, loss, tears, joy, healing, love, hate, humor, history, etc.
And the chapter titles? Heck, someone needs to come up with a Book Award just for those alone!"

Yes, this would be my recommendation too. Heard they are going to do and HBO series based on these books, I hope so.
Tdhmom 06:19 AM 07-15-2014
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I just started reading Jodi Picoults "Keeping Faith" and I cannot put it down. Can't wait to read more from her. I've always been a murder/mystery book person,, but have found that those books are all the same, just different names. My sister-in-law recommended Jodi Picoult and I have to say, she is fantastic!

Tdhmom, you said you read Jodi Picoult, have you ever read Keeping Faith?
I haven't read that one yet! I'll be picking it up tonight I've read Handle with Care, The Pact and My sister's Keeper...The Pact is....different. I couldn't put it down but it also has some very controversial things. Many bad reviews on Good Reads but it also reminds you that no matter how much you think you know a person, you may not have any idea.
Tdhmom 06:20 AM 07-15-2014
Originally Posted by MommaB3:
I liked the Hunger Games (who didn't?!).

Since you liked Hunger Games, have you read the Divergent Series by Veronica Roth? I personally thought this series was WAY better than Hunger Games.
I tried reading Divergent and I didn't get past the first chapter...I don't know if it reminded me too much of Hunger Games and I was already over it or if I just wasn't in the mood for reading that day, I'll have to try it again because I have heard many people say they liked it!
Tdhmom 06:21 AM 07-15-2014

3 comments for this book...it's definitely going on my list
lovemykidstoo 06:32 AM 07-15-2014
Originally Posted by Tdhmom:
I haven't read that one yet! I'll be picking it up tonight I've read Handle with Care, The Pact and My sister's Keeper...The Pact is....different. I couldn't put it down but it also has some very controversial things. Many bad reviews on Good Reads but it also reminds you that no matter how much you think you know a person, you may not have any idea.

If you like Jodi then you really have to get this book. When I say I can't put it down, I'm serious It's soooo good! Which one of her books that you listed was your favorite? I'll be buying another one in the next week!
Tdhmom 06:36 AM 07-15-2014
If you like Jodi then you really have to get this book. When I say I can't put it down, I'm serious It's soooo good! Which one of her books that you listed was your favorite? I'll be buying another one in the next week!
Honestly I really liked the Pact, a lot of reviews that I've read didn't like it...It's about a teenage suicide pact that goes terribly wrong. I couldn't put it down though. It's like all 3 of her books I've read though and the one you're reading...you have to get to the next page!!
lovemykidstoo 06:51 AM 07-15-2014
Honestly I really liked the Pact, a lot of reviews that I've read didn't like it...It's about a teenage suicide pact that goes terribly wrong. I couldn't put it down though. It's like all 3 of her books I've read though and the one you're reading...you have to get to the next page!!
Sounds good! I'll pick that one up next!! Thanks!!
Baby lady 08:51 AM 07-15-2014
Originally Posted by Kimskiddos:
Yes, this would be my recommendation too. Heard they are going to do and HBO series based on these books, I hope so.
Yes, on Starz, and starts in August!
nothingwithoutjoy 09:57 AM 07-15-2014
A totally different style, but a very funny read....I'm in the middle of "The Rosie Project" by Graeme Simsion and it's hysterical. The narrator has Asperger's (but doesn't know it), and sets out on a scientific research project to find the perfect wife. I don't often laugh out loud as I read, but I am with this one.

Other recent reads I really enjoyed:
"The Widower's Tale" by Julia Glass
"The Last Runaway" by Tracy Chevalier
"Guests on Earth" by Lee Smith
Tdhmom 01:05 PM 07-15-2014
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
A totally different style, but a very funny read....I'm in the middle of "The Rosie Project" by Graeme Simsion and it's hysterical. The narrator has Asperger's (but doesn't know it), and sets out on a scientific research project to find the perfect wife. I don't often laugh out loud as I read, but I am with this one.

Other recent reads I really enjoyed:
"The Widower's Tale" by Julia Glass
"The Last Runaway" by Tracy Chevalier
"Guests on Earth" by Lee Smith
Thank you for the suggestions I'll see what's available at the library tonight!
deliberateliterate 01:13 PM 07-15-2014
Pillars of the Earth. It's a bit longer than the average book, but what an engrossing story!!
lovemykidstoo 06:08 AM 07-22-2014
Thank you for the suggestions I'll see what's available at the library tonight!
I'm getting ready for vacation starting Sunday and was wondering what book you ended up with. I have to go get another book this week. Thinking of getting The Pact.
CedarCreek 06:27 AM 07-22-2014
For books that you cant put down I would have to recommend:

"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn. Its suspenseful and has some good plot twists. It's being turned into a movie that is set to be released later this year.

"The Ocean at the End of the Lane" by Neil Gaiman. It's sort of science fiction-ey which I normally don't do but this book was recommended to me so much that I finally read it and I was soooo into it, I tell everyone about it now.

"The Handmaids Tale" by Margaret Atwood. This is an oldie but a goodie. It's set in a dystopian America where women have basically been stripped of their rights and put into various "roles" that they were "meant" for. It's sort of mind-blowing and turned me onto a new way of thinking about how women are valued.

Happy reading!
nothingwithoutjoy 11:43 AM 07-22-2014
Just read another good one: "Where'd You Go, Bernadette" by Maria Semple. Funny, and an interesting format: some told in letters, reports, memos, etc. while some is narrative. Really good.
Stepping 06:39 PM 07-23-2014

Just read outlander a few weeks ago and I'm already on the 4th book! Brilliant read.
lovemykidstoo 11:29 AM 08-11-2014
I finished Keepiing Faith and just started The Pact. Did you start Keeping Faith yet?
Tdhmom 01:26 PM 08-11-2014
I finished Keepiing Faith and just started The Pact. Did you start Keeping Faith yet?
I really enjoyed keeping faith!!! It was, of course, controversial topics (per her usual) but I really liked it! The end, I'm embarrassed to say, I had to look up because I took it as 2 different meanings. So I wanted to see what she was thinking when she wrote it
Tdhmom 01:28 PM 08-11-2014
I'm getting ready for vacation starting Sunday and was wondering what book you ended up with. I have to go get another book this week. Thinking of getting The Pact.
I'm so sorry! I was gone that week when you wrote this and I wasn't on here. Did you get a chance to read the pact? I really liked that one! It was pretty hard to wrap my head around it at times but the characters were easy to fall for!
lovemykidstoo 02:02 PM 08-11-2014
I really enjoyed keeping faith!!! It was, of course, controversial topics (per her usual) but I really liked it! The end, I'm embarrassed to say, I had to look up because I took it as 2 different meanings. So I wanted to see what she was thinking when she wrote it
I'm so glad you wrote that about the end, because I read it and re-read it and I still don't get it. Maybe you can send me a private message so we don't ruin it for anyone else that wants to read it. Where did you look it up for the 2 different meanings?

I'm just beginning The Pact.
Tags:book suggestions
Reply Up