Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closing Early
krosey5 12:05 PM 06-07-2013
Does anyone ever close early due to an appointment/training/etc & still charge for the full day? Or do you simply take the whole day & use personal/vatcation time?

If you do close early w/o using personal/vaca time, do you have a "special" wording in your policy handbook/contract about half days?

I just ran into a situation with a client on this issue. Now I'm curious what others do.
Blackcat31 12:08 PM 06-07-2013
Any time I have to close early ALL parents know that if the day includes lunch then the rate is still the regular rate.

The only time I would discount or prorate a day is if I closed unexpectedly for the whole day or closed before lunch time.
mema 12:12 PM 06-07-2013
When I have closed early, it has been charged a full day. Usually it is about an hour that they miss. If I closed in the morning for some reason, then I would charge only half day. I try to take 1 or 2 vacation days a year to make all appointments (dentist, dr check up, vet check up, etc), but sometimes you just can't predict. A few weeks ago I had to close 30 minutes early one day and once this week I opened a little later. Still charged full day.
littlemissmuffet 12:23 PM 06-07-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Any time I have to close early ALL parents know that if the day includes lunch then the rate is still the regular rate.
This is my policy as well.

Generally, if I have something going on in the morning, my hubs will run the daycare or I will close for the entire day (and use one of my 5 paid sick days).

One time, I unexpectedly closed at 11am to see my daughter in the NICU because she was having a difficult morning and I wanted to be with her after I was informed. That's the only situation I've ever considered calling a "half day".
originalkat 01:01 PM 06-07-2013
I have closed early (normally no more than 1-2 hrs early) and charge for the whole day. I have not had anyone question me on it, but i dont have it in my handbook so I should probably put it in there.
AmyKidsCo 02:36 PM 06-07-2013
Wed I closed at 2:45 instead of 5:00 and charged for the whole day. My families are full time and pay by the week so it doesn't make a difference.
krosey5 04:30 PM 06-07-2013
Thanks for everyone's replies.

Most providers in my area that I have talked with charge a full day if they close early. My client is upset that I am closing 3 hrs early & feels I should have to take a vacation day or at the very least a "half day".

They said that it was "unfair" to have to pay for a full day when I was not "working the hours they have contracted" with me. They were "sorry" but they looked back at my contract & there is nothing in there about "half days".

To be honest, they are right & I have nothing to say other other than I have to take the full day?? I don't allow them to do "half days". I will also have to reword/rewrite/rethink my contract & policy handbook wording.
Play Care 04:32 PM 06-07-2013
Originally Posted by krosey5:

Most providers in my area that I have talked with charge a full day if they close early. My client is upset that I am closing 3 hrs early & feels I should have to take a vacation day or at the very least a "half day".

They said that it was "unfair" to have to pay for a full day when I was not "working the hours they have contracted" with me. They were "sorry" but they looked back at my contract & there is nothing in there about "half days".

To be honest, they are right & I have nothing to say other other than I have to take the full day?? I don't allow them to do "half days". I will also have to reword/rewrite/rethink my contract & policy handbook wording.
My policy is that if there child is at my day care at all, they are charged their fee for the day regardless of the reason they child leaves early. I don't do hourly, 1/2 days, etc. That said, I don't typically close early and use my sub to cover.
littlemissmuffet 07:03 PM 06-07-2013
Originally Posted by krosey5:

If a client complained about missing 3 of the nearly 2500 hours I am open in a year they would be more than welcome to go elsewhere. As a matter of fact, I would suggest it. That's the beauty of running my own business - my clients don't get a single say in how I run things.
CrackerJacks 11:34 PM 06-07-2013
In my contract I am allowed 5 half days per year paid, usually is a 1pm close time (regular close time is 5:30p). I take these days mostly to attend my dd school functions etc.
krosey5 06:44 AM 06-08-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
My policy is that if there child is at my day care at all, they are charged their fee for the day regardless of the reason they child leaves early. I don't do hourly, 1/2 days, etc. That said, I don't typically close early and use my sub to cover.
Guess I need to clarify some of this in my policies as well. I don't do hourly, half days, etc for the client (which is why the client is questioning me doing it). Normally my husband would sub, but it's a doctor appt for our DD so we both need/want to be there to hear what the dr says.

Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
If a client complained about missing 3 of the nearly 2500 hours I am open in a year they would be more than welcome to go elsewhere. As a matter of fact, I would suggest it. That's the beauty of running my own business - my clients don't get a single say in how I run things.
Right??! I have gone through a whole range of emotions on this. At first I was aggravated & mad. Then I was understanding to what they were saying. BUT after a full 24hrs to think on it, I'm furious that they are whining over 3 hours. They said they were sorry to complain & they never want to do anything to jeopardize their spot here & that I was like family....but seriously, they are complaining about 3 hours which boils down to $7.50!!!

I guess what burns me the most is that most places of employment allow you to leave early/arrive late/take a few hours mid-day for dr appts/other. WITHOUT having to take a full vacation day. DCM has 5 weeks of vacation. Sorry to vent....I could go on & on, but should stop

I'm just really new to the daycare world. I've only been in business (full swing) for 7 mos.

Originally Posted by CrackerJacks:
In my contract I am allowed 5 half days per year paid, usually is a 1pm close time (regular close time is 5:30p). I take these days mostly to attend my dd school functions etc.
Thank you. I like this concept.
Rachel 09:59 PM 06-09-2013
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't close early, I bring in a sub if I need to.

If I needed to leave 10 minutes early I would ask the parents to please come 10 minutes early, but anything else I get my sub or don't go.
Play Care 04:32 AM 06-10-2013
Originally Posted by Rachel:
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't close early, I bring in a sub if I need to.

If I needed to leave 10 minutes early I would ask the parents to please come 10 minutes early, but anything else I get my sub or don't go.
No, you're not. I already said in my reply that it's not something I *typically* do.

It also sounds as if it's not something the OP does, and in this case, it's an appointment for her child that can't be missed.
Reply Up