Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How do you handle younger dcks not on the same rest schedule yet?
TaylorTots 11:23 AM 01-08-2014
I am trying to get my new 11 month old dcb on our schedule. He is currently napping at 11-11:45 and that's it. When the rest of the dcks rest at 1:00-3:00 he is very noisy (talking/screaming/crying/whining etc) and trys to climb all over them if I don't put him in the pack and play (and then they don't rest and then we have horrible pick ups and parents are upset, etc.

He has a binkie and mom says he doesn't use it at home, but said I can if needed. Should I put him in the same room as the napping kiddos in his pack and play with a binkie and some toys? Or....?

He's not ready to pass up his 11am nap yet, and he only sleeps that 45 minutes all day. I have to find a solution with him to avoid my other parents and dcks getting the bad end of the deal. Open to any solutions that don't involve me holding or rocking him the entire time

Advice from all you experienced providers please!
butterfly 11:32 AM 01-08-2014
I know that you said he's not ready to give up his morning nap, but honestly, that's what I'd do. Cut out that nap. Keep him up until your normal nap time. If you have a separate room to put him, I may start with that until he gets in the habit of napping at that time and then when he's on schedule allow him to nap in the same room with everyone else.

I wouldn't start a binkie if he hasn't had one at home. It would be another thing to take away later on.
Cat Herder 11:35 AM 01-08-2014
I nap them all in the same room, no pacifiers allowed. I start that way from day 1, so they tend to get on the same schedule pretty naturally (just like siblings sharing a room).

With the under 12 month crowd, I don't use a sleep schedule anymore. They are on the floor mats, with toys until they begin to fall asleep naturally. I then place them immediately in their crib on their back, to fall asleep on their own. When they wake up, back to the floor mats they go. Rinse/Repeat Some days they need more sleep, others less.

At around 6-8 months they tend to begin sleeping when the other kids do (1-3) because that is the only time they are not fascinated watching the big kids or have complete quiet. By 12 months they have their own nap mat with the big kids. It is a reward here, they love it, feels like eating at the adult table at 12 years old.

I rarely ever have nap issues this way.
hope 11:36 AM 01-08-2014
I had the same problem once. I put the child in a pack n play in a separate room. Each day I put in for a nap a little later till the child was on schedule with the others. It's rough when the child is used to napping at 11 and you make them wait till 12 but it is worth it in the end. If he is only sleeping 45 minutes then he probably isn't too tired anyways. Once you put in for a later nap he should sleep longer. I wouldn't use the Binkie. That will just be another issue for you to deal with down the road.
Stepping 11:38 AM 01-08-2014
Wow that's a short nap!

Have you tried keeping him up a little later to see if he sleeps longer?

We finally have all of ours on one nap at the same time. For the first few weeks, I gradually brought the babies nap later each day and the older kids naps forwards a little until they were all on the same 1pm schedule.

It wasn't easy though. We had some cranky babies during the transition
DaycareMom 11:43 AM 01-08-2014
You could lay him down for a morning nap earlier and then put him down at the same time with the other kids for afternoon nap.

I currently have a 13 month old and he naps from about 9:30-10:30 a.m. and then goes down at the same time with the rest of the group from 1-3 p.m.
TaylorTots 11:50 AM 01-08-2014
He has absolutely no interest in a 930 nap...I think tomorrow I will start keeping him up later and later. Bring on a couple fun days, he's a screamer as of 1045 when he gets tired lol no difference a very helpful obvious suggestion...I'll get some soda to lift my spirits tomorrow thanks!
Reply Up