Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interupting
tenderhearts 08:29 AM 07-10-2015
Does anyone have any tips on teaching kids to not interrupt? I have six kids and lately I feel so overwhelmed by them constantly interrupting me, parents, other kids and it so frustrating. Parents are very frustrating because they allow it, I do not. I will quickly say, please don't interrupt it's just been frustrating lately. Any ideas would be great.
Unregistered 09:06 AM 07-10-2015
They are looking for attention and are young and just may not get that it can be rude. There's a need in there somewhere too! Any behavior that continues over tine is working for the child.

I'd give them lots of positive attention other times..notice and comment on what they are doing right instead if wrong. I give out lots of high fives, pats on the back, thumbs up, and I'm a hugger.

Set up expectations at times when interrupting is not going on..like circle time or snack. We talk about manners and waiting until someone is done talking. I'm also understanding of the fact they have not seen mom/dad all day and understandably want their attention.

You can give them time to hug them and say hello.

I do my best to ignore interruptions..they have been given the rules, tools and expectations at another time, I don't look at them but will put my hand near them in in a stop motion to give them a visual qui. We even talk about this qui of the stop sign hand motion when setting up the expectation.

Rinse and repeat.
Unregistered 09:13 AM 07-10-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

I do my best to ignore interruptions..they have been given the rules, tools and expectations at another time, I don't look at them but will put my hand near them in in a stop motion to give them a visual qui. We even talk about this qui of the stop sign hand motion when setting up the expectation.

Rinse and repeat.
This.
Blackcat31 09:21 AM 07-10-2015
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
Does anyone have any tips on teaching kids to not interrupt? I have six kids and lately I feel so overwhelmed by them constantly interrupting me, parents, other kids and it so frustrating. Parents are very frustrating because they allow it, I do not. I will quickly say, please don't interrupt it's just been frustrating lately. Any ideas would be great.
You can do all sorts of group activities that help kids understand what interrupting means. Circle time is a GREAT time to practice and learn about interrupting.

Things that come to mind is using a talking stick/toy. Everyone sits in a circle but the ONLY person that gets to talk is the person holding the talking stick/toy. Practice taking turns and make a point of interrupting so you can demonstrate to them what interrupting is.

I also ignore a lot of it but if I am talking with a parent and a child needs to tell me something, they know (from previous group activities) that unless it's an emergency and they or one of their friends needs immediate assistance or is in danger that I will not listen to them.

I have no issue correcting a child that interrupts me or their parent when we are talking. I will tell the parent that we practice learning to wait our turn here if the parent caves and gives in.

If the parent has a frequent habit of allowing their child to interrupt while we talk/chat I just make sure then to not get into chat sessions with that parent and will make sure the parent knows that if they would like to talk or discuss something with me it will need to be done when they have the time to focus on our discussion verses their child's interruptions.
Blackcat31 09:24 AM 07-10-2015
http://mom.me/parenting/4966-how-tea...-conversation/
KiddieCahoots 09:41 AM 07-10-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

Rinse and repeat.

..... I also use the ASL sign for "no" & "stop" to the interrupter, while listening and paying attention to the child, parent, whoever that is currently speaking. If they do not stop interrupting, I will use my body to block them from the conversation. If that doesn't work, I then turn to the interrupter, quickly state, 'no interrupting, wait your turn to speak'. That usually does the trick, then after the origanl talker is done, I will turn to the interrupter, and quickly praise them for being patient, and waiting their turn to talk, and ask them what they wanted to say.

When it's the entire group getting excited to speak and talking over each other. I give it a moment to calm down, then ask a particular child what another child just said? They usually can't answer, that's when I reinstate our rule.

If we all talk at the same time all we hear is blah...blah....blah, missing important things that our friends have to say. We are now going to practice daycare rule #2 (listed rules in the child care), be respectful to educator and friends, and listen when spoken to, do not interrupt, and patiently wait your turn to speak. Then I tell the children that if they need help with this rule, I will help them, by calling on each child to have a turn to speak. But....I will only call on a child, that is being respectful and patient waiting to have thier turn to talk.
mamamanda 10:10 AM 07-10-2015
I'm working on teaching my kids to place their hand on my arm & then wait patiently if they want to tell me something & I am busy talking with another person. This signals that they need my attention, but they're not interrupting. I touch their hand & make eye contact to let them know I am aware they want my attention, but then I finish my conversation. As soon as I am able I turn to the child & ask what they wanted to share with me. This only works if you don't forget to address them when you're done.
Reply Up