Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT--Legitimate Work From Home Jobs
missy 09:21 AM 03-17-2014
Hi everyone:+)

A dear friend of mine has been searching for a decent paying work from home job but they all seem to end up being scams. Do any of you have or know anyone who has a good lead?

Thanks!!
Second Home 09:46 AM 03-17-2014
I have looked off and on for over a year and have not found any that seem legit . If you do find one please let me know .
melilley 10:52 AM 03-17-2014
The only kind of work from home jobs that I think are legit are the one's like selling Thirtyone, Mary Kay, Avon, etc... But you do have to sell and to me it would seem like you would have to know a lot of people and really push your product.

Actually a friend of mine just started selling Itworks! products. But she really pushes the product and also really believes in what they offer and she's not afraid to go out and get new clients. She seems to be doing really well though.
Unregistered 11:06 AM 03-17-2014
On CNN's website, there is a section where Clark Howard describes several legitimate work from home jobs--the downside is that a few of them are very very very part time (in other words, definitely not a good idea for sole source of income), and the full time ones are jobs where you cannot decide your own hour (when you look into them, you find out you must take calls during nighttime/weekend/holiday hours).

Also, if you want to work any job from home you will likely need to have a computer that is less than seven year old, have a reliable connection to high speed internet, and possibly even a landline phone.

I know some people make enough by buying items from second hand stores and yardsales, cleaning/fixing them up, then reselling on craigslist or facebook yard sale sights. Of course, the income involved in these jobs is pretty sporadic, you might make a lot some weeks/months, and not so much others.

There is also the option of making items from home and selling them on Etsy or at craft shows. I know people who make over $1000 in a weekend at craft shows (of course this is not every weekend, they spend much of the years preparing for a few different shows throughout the year).

The only professional jobs that I know of where you can work from home, make your own hours, AND get paid pretty well are in accounting, tax preparation, and the legal or medical field.

Hope this helps--I spend a lot of time looking into work from home options, but I am currently just a SAHM because I haven't found anything promising yet.
MommaB3 11:28 AM 03-17-2014
I have worked from home doing medical transcription for over 3 years. I myself only do it part time but I basically could work as little or as much as I wanted. All companies vary on scheduling but mine is a great fit for me since they let you choose your hours and how much you want to work.

You do have to get training from a REPUTABLE medical transcription school (I chose Career Step). I will say it is getting harder and harder to find MT jobs and the pay has gone down hill but it is a legitimate WAH job. In the beginning you will make practically nothing but the longer you're at it the faster and more you will be able to produce.
FCCarmyprovider 11:48 AM 03-17-2014
Originally Posted by MommaB3:
I have worked from home doing medical transcription for over 3 years. I myself only do it part time but I basically could work as little or as much as I wanted. All companies vary on scheduling but mine is a great fit for me since they let you choose your hours and how much you want to work.

You do have to get training from a REPUTABLE medical transcription school (I chose Career Step). I will say it is getting harder and harder to find MT jobs and the pay has gone down hill but it is a legitimate WAH job. In the beginning you will make practically nothing but the longer you're at it the faster and more you will be able to produce.
I work as an ambassador for Plexus Worldwide. Its a wellness company that helps people lose weight mostly, but they do have other products. I have been working for them for almost a year this august and I love it bc if I don't have a lot of time to sell things like when Im full capacity for kids I can just turn off my plexus orders and theres no requirement for me to keep selling. Best $40 I have ever spent. My mom started shortly after me and has already went up in "rank" three times. She is also a daycare provider and has been for about 20 odd years, and this job allowed her to pay her electric cable cellphones and car bills along with rent. Needless to say she is very happy with her new side job.
Leigh 01:00 PM 03-17-2014
I know people who work for insurance companies (like esurance), credit card companies, colleges (admissions), clinics, attorneys that all work from home. Not just entry level jobs, either, one is upper management. Finding them is the issue-you have to look hard to find them. There are MANY people that work from home at legitimate jobs.
Unregistered 01:10 PM 03-17-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I know people who work for insurance companies (like esurance), credit card companies, colleges (admissions), clinics, attorneys that all work from home. Not just entry level jobs, either, one is upper management. Finding them is the issue-you have to look hard to find them. There are MANY people that work from home at legitimate jobs.
With these, you usually had to put in your "call center" time (at least a year or more) and apply for at home internally. It's rare to find these jobs as direct entry, although cell phone companies it's getting easier. The other ones it's kind of tough.
missy 03:49 PM 03-17-2014
Great info!!

My friend was almost VP of her company them left to be a SAHM. I hear all this talk about companies offering flex time now for moms but it seems so hard to find!!
momofboys 05:44 PM 03-17-2014
I grade standardized elementary & high school exams from home online seasonally (spring, right now!) through Pearson Education. You need to have a 4-year-college degree but it can be in any subject matter. I have an English degree so I usually end up scoring writing essays. I enjoy the work & you can set your own hours & work as little or as much as you want. It is not a good way to make money year-round though as it is only available for a few months.
momofboys 05:48 PM 03-17-2014
Here's Pearson's link:

https://survey.vovici.com/se.ashx?s=058F3B575DC152AE

you won't get rich but it's fun work for the weekends & evenings if you provide childcare during the day. Their hours are based on central time but during scoring season you can generally work 7 a.m. - 11 p.m. CT (you pick your hours) & 8:30-5:00 on Sat/Sun.
DaisyMamma 05:31 AM 03-18-2014
Do a google search for "wahm.com forum"
Look through the forum for ideas. People discuss specific companies and jobs. Make sure you're reading the forum and not the ads. The ads are mostly scams.
missy 04:16 AM 03-21-2014
Originally Posted by FCCarmyprovider:

I work as an ambassador for Plexus Worldwide. Its a wellness company that helps people lose weight mostly, but they do have other products. I have been working for them for almost a year this august and I love it bc if I don't have a lot of time to sell things like when Im full capacity for kids I can just turn off my plexus orders and theres no requirement for me to keep selling. Best $40 I have ever spent. My mom started shortly after me and has already went up in "rank" three times. She is also a daycare provider and has been for about 20 odd years, and this job allowed her to pay her electric cable cellphones and car bills along with rent. Needless to say she is very happy with her new side job.
Plexus sounds like a good deal. I would like to hear more about it if you don't mind! I will pm you:-)
FCCarmyprovider 05:41 AM 03-21-2014
Yeah I was really worried about it being a scam, but I spent three months doing research talking with other ambassadors and I have been super pleased with the company so far. Reaching a year with them this fall. Its harder to sell it over here, but that's bc Im in Germany, but in the states its selling like wildfire. Its a really good company and they have awesome incentives. Like the highest ranking people (Called diamond ambassadors) Get Plexus lexus' contracts and I swear my mom is on her way. Shes very personable. I am very reserved and shy but haven't had any trouble just selling the products on FB. I really cant wait to have my baby so I can get back on my Plexus slim and get my skinny on lol.
Tags:second job
Reply Up