Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Has This Ever Happened to You... Interviewing A New Client
pintsize 06:57 PM 02-20-2018
There was a knock at my door st 4:10, open it to a woman, man and 5ish year old boy. She says "hi, I'm ____, I heard you have openings?" they wanted to tour and interview. This has never happened to me before. She said that one of my current clients talks about how much they have loved us since they started two months ago so she looked me up in Facebook and compared my Facebook page to the licensing roster to find my address.

I do have 2 openings so I let them in, we talked and I let her look over a copy of a contract, my printer was being weird so I told her I would e-mail it to her. It was just... Weird. Good thing my house was mostly picked up, but not half as clean as it would have been if they had scheduled an interview!
Luvnmykidz 07:16 PM 02-20-2018
Yes, that has happened to me on a few occasions. I turn the family away in a respectful way. I give them a business card and tell them for the safety and respect of my family and my daycare families I do not allow walk-ins. All interviews are scheduled in advance. One family understood, apologized and left emailing me as they were walking away to schedule an interview. I still have that child now as a drop in school-ager. I have her often on evenings and weekends too. The other family never contacted me back and one family came back again a week later acting as if I hadn’t turned her away before. She also stated she lived a few houses down from me and would need transportation and child care immediately as if that was such a great thing for me. I told her I don’t feel I can accommodate her needs and won’t enroll families who don’t respect my interview policy. She waves to me every now and again when I drive by her home.
pintsize 07:20 PM 02-20-2018
I feel like I should have turned them away, but I also didn't want them or current client to think I have something to hide. It was uncomfortable.
Pandaluver21 08:44 PM 02-20-2018
I have had this happen a hand full of times, the family has never worked out..
I used to let them in, but after the first couple I would talk to them briefly at the door and ask that they come back.
MarinaVanessa 10:21 PM 02-20-2018
It has happened to me. I politely turn them away telling them that I'm not available for a tour atm and ask them if they want to schedule a tour. I give them a business card with my email address and encourage them to email me. I ask them for their email address and ask them if they'd like for me to send them a copy of my policies and contract. I won't do on the spot tours because I'm super busy and usually have a lot going on.
Josiegirl 02:08 AM 02-21-2018
Yes, a few times. Once long ago a grandmother stopped by, asking for her dd. I just told her I had no openings. The most recent time was when a neighbor was expecting and just showed up at the door, saying 'I just want to see what's out there'. Stupidly, I let her in. I wouldn't do it again though, I'd have them call to set up an appointment. People just don't seem to think we're actually working, especially if we're an in-home dc.
DaveA 03:35 AM 02-21-2018
I've never had someone just show up to see about openings. I would have done like the others said and scheduled an interview. To me that wouldn't be a red flag as much as a "pink flag"- I would still do the interview with an open mind but be a bit more cautious about the family.
HappyEverAfter 05:22 AM 02-21-2018
Simply for safety reasons I wouldn’t open my door and welcome in a stranger for tour and interview. I would be friendly and professional and offer to schedule a time to do a sit down meeting.
LostMyMarbles 05:30 AM 02-21-2018
Originally Posted by HappyEverAfter:
Simply for safety reasons I wouldn’t open my door and welcome in a stranger for tour and interview. I would be friendly and professional and offer to schedule a time to do a sit down meeting.
Absolutely this.

With all the crazies in the world, I don't trust easily.

First I would do a phone interview. Then I would schedule an interview face to face.
hwichlaz 05:40 AM 02-21-2018
When it happens to me it's always a neighbor. If I know them enough to feel comfortable and I'm not super busy, I'll let them in. Otherwise I give them my number and have them call me.

They've all been really apologetic about knocking, explaining that they don't have my number to call and accept my card with my phone number on it.
Blackcat31 05:57 AM 02-21-2018
It's happened to me before as well. How I've handled it depends on who it is and what's currently happening for the day.... I live in a pretty small and safe community.

Most of my clients come from word of mouth or simply because they know me or someone they know does. That's a perk of living in the same community I was born and raised. Everyone pretty much knows everyone in some degree or another.

I've had potential parents and grandparents randomly stop by and on some occasions, I've done an impromptu interview/tour and on some occasions I've had to tell them to call and schedule a time to interview/tour.

It really just depends on the situation.
Some have turned into long term clients and some only stay a while....like I said, it just depends on the situation and moment.
MomBoss 06:05 AM 02-21-2018
I have a seperate entrance for daycare families, so if anyone rings my main door, i dont open it. I would never answer the door for an interview that wasnt scheduled. I think its rude for people to do that. Its a red flag for me. Like the family wants to do things their way on their time. Might have a problem following my policies. Nope.
Blackcat31 06:11 AM 02-21-2018
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
I have a seperate entrance for daycare families, so if anyone rings my main door, i dont open it. I would never answer the door for an interview that wasnt scheduled. I think its rude for people to do that. Its a red flag for me. Like the family wants to do things their way on their time. Might have a problem following my policies. Nope.
lol! Aren't the differences of living in a smaller community verses a larger metro area kinda funny?

I don't see it as rude at all

There are alot of circumstances that lead someone to my door without a pre-scheduled appointment but I can totally understand why it wouldn't be welcome or accepted in some situations/areas.
Snowmom 06:20 AM 02-21-2018
I've had it happen. I'm on the corner of a semi-busy road and if I ever put my "openings available" sign out on my fence, I do get more people knocking than calling.

Thing is: I want to to know more about what the family needs and wants before I agree to an interview. I don't want to waste an hour of my time on an interview for a fit that I have no intention of taking on.
So, I have business cards by my door and tell them to send me a quick email later about what hours, days and needs they are looking for. We can go from there.
MomBoss 09:10 AM 02-21-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
lol! Aren't the differences of living in a smaller community verses a larger metro area kinda funny?

I don't see it as rude at all

There are alot of circumstances that lead someone to my door without a pre-scheduled appointment but I can totally understand why it wouldn't be welcome or accepted in some situations/areas.
Lol i live in a very very busy and big city. For all i know, its a crazy person at the door. Small towns im assuming everyone knows everyone and safety might be different. I dont even know the people accross the street from me and ive been living here for 10 years
daycarediva 09:24 AM 02-21-2018
Yep, same.

Before it was quite obvious I ran a daycare, and it happened regularly.
Country Kids 09:38 AM 02-21-2018
I live in a smaller community also but wouldn't let anyone I don't know without a scheduled interview just come in my home. I usually schedule interviews when my hubby is home but he's in another room, out of sight.

1996, we had a kidnapping from a childcare a couple hours north of us. The lady opened the door, a guy came in assulted her pretty bad, then kidnapped one of the little girls (she was 7) from the childcare.

There was a huge police chase down the interstate and about 1/2 hour north of us, they had a sharp shooter have to take the car out and I believe him also. The little girl was totally fine, just very, very shaken up. Every time we pass that spot I think of that little girl. I also think of the sharp shooter as we knew him and his wife and I'm can't imagine the pressure on him that day.

So if I don't don't know you, I'm not opening the door.
kendallina 11:12 AM 02-21-2018
Yes, it was a neighbor several houses away. I didn't know them prior. I politely and professionally handed them my card and they contacted me later for a tour. They enrolled and were a great family. It definitely struck me as strange and I could have invited them in, but just didn't really want to as I never do tours with kids present. Hopefully they work out for you!
Pandaluver21 11:33 AM 02-21-2018
One family I had stop by for an "interview" I just talked to at the door. She ended up telling me she thought my house was an ancient burial ground, asked me if I needed paperwork for her restraining order against the kids dad, and said she like that she would be able to just stop by because she was so close.
CityGarden 11:34 AM 02-21-2018
I had that happen twice both times I had children present so no I do not give tours/ interviews at the point.

I either do tours after my program is over and the dcks have left for the day or I notify all families that we will be having a visitor to our program. This approach requires notice. I am debating putting a small sign that says tours by appointment only.
Tigerlilly 11:58 AM 02-21-2018
I had a pair of men show up with a child last week. Asked for a tour of the house. I politely declined and said I would schedule something with them. When he asked if he could come is he actually pushed the door open and started to come in. Who does that!
HappyEverAfter 01:30 PM 02-21-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I live in a smaller community also but wouldn't let anyone I don't know without a scheduled interview just come in my home. I usually schedule interviews when my hubby is home but he's in another room, out of sight.

1996, we had a kidnapping from a childcare a couple hours north of us. The lady opened the door, a guy came in assulted her pretty bad, then kidnapped one of the little girls (she was 7) from the childcare.

There was a huge police chase down the interstate and about 1/2 hour north of us, they had a sharp shooter have to take the car out and I believe him also. The little girl was totally fine, just very, very shaken up. Every time we pass that spot I think of that little girl. I also think of the sharp shooter as we knew him and his wife and I'm can't imagine the pressure on him that day.

So if I don't don't know you, I'm not opening the door.
This is exactly why I don’t open up for strangers. I’m not looking to star in a 48 Mystery or Dateline special!
Country Kids 03:07 PM 02-21-2018
This is exactly why I don’t open up for strangers. I’m not looking to star in a 48 Mystery or Dateline special!
It actually ended up on one of those shows a few years later.
Country Kids 03:09 PM 02-21-2018
:ee
Originally Posted by Tigerlilly:
I had a pair of men show up with a child last week. Asked for a tour of the house. I politely declined and said I would schedule something with them. When he asked if he could come is he actually pushed the door open and started to come in. Who does that!

Not worth opening up to people you don't know. To much craziness in the world!
Jupadia 06:17 PM 02-21-2018
Yes a few times I've had a knock on the door. I do have a lawn sign out there so people do know where I am. The latest was a couple today that knocked wanting to know if i have any cirrent openings.

I useally let them know of my next opening and give them a business card. If I have openings I'll schedule an interview for later that week or early the next week.
Ariana 06:26 PM 02-21-2018
Am I the only one who stakes out who is at the door before opening it? If I do not know you, I do not answer!
amberrose3dg 03:39 AM 02-22-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Am I the only one who stakes out who is at the door before opening it? If I do not know you, I do not answer!
I had someone show up here yesterday as parents were picking up asking if i was a daycare. I had no choice in not answering as two kids were leaving when she appeared at my steps. I told her yes but we were full and could call the number on Google if she had any questions but I do not discuss anything with a random person showing up at my door. I was thinking this thread was weird and bam someone at my door. Very bizarre huh.
Blackcat31 06:17 AM 02-22-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
this thread makes me truly appreciate where I live.
I couldn't imagine a knock causing so much fear.

If that truly is the atmosphere where you (general you) all live that makes me sad. I love my community and while we definitely have our fair share of crime it's still a wonderfully safe and caring community.

People still help neighbors for free, people are friendly and kind. Strangers still say wave or say hello when passing on sidewalks, drivers still pause and let someone in when traffic is backed up, people are basically helpful, friendly and caring.

The other day, the wind was so bad here that my garbage cans blew over~ an elderly man that walks by every morning with his poodle stopped and righted it, chased the lid down the alley and returned it all to the stand as it was and then continued on his way. I don't know him other than I see him in the neighborhood everyday.

My neighbor had foot surgery a few weeks ago...her grandson has been coming over to shovel. Last weekend he brought a couple friends (middle school age) and those 3 boys shoveled sidewalks all around the neighborhood without being asked, again for free.

I have a hundred stories like that. I see that type of thing happening here everyday.

It saddens me to see so many that are fearful in their own homes. I understand and realize for many it's because you have other people's children in care and I understand that's the way it might be where you live but I am really grateful that it isn't like that where I live.

Minnesota Nice I guess...
Mike 07:25 PM 02-22-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
this thread makes me truly appreciate where I live.
I couldn't imagine a knock causing so much fear.

If that truly is the atmosphere where you (general you) all live that makes me sad. I love my community and while we definitely have our fair share of crime it's still a wonderfully safe and caring community.

People still help neighbors for free, people are friendly and kind. Strangers still say wave or say hello when passing on sidewalks, drivers still pause and let someone in when traffic is backed up, people are basically helpful, friendly and caring.

The other day, the wind was so bad here that my garbage cans blew over~ an elderly man that walks by every morning with his poodle stopped and righted it, chased the lid down the alley and returned it all to the stand as it was and then continued on his way. I don't know him other than I see him in the neighborhood everyday.

My neighbor had foot surgery a few weeks ago...her grandson has been coming over to shovel. Last weekend he brought a couple friends (middle school age) and those 3 boys shoveled sidewalks all around the neighborhood without being asked, again for free.

I have a hundred stories like that. I see that type of thing happening here everyday.

It saddens me to see so many that are fearful in their own homes. I understand and realize for many it's because you have other people's children in care and I understand that's the way it might be where you live but I am really grateful that it isn't like that where I live.

Minnesota Nice I guess...
Eastern Ontario vs out East or West (Atlantic provinces or prairie provinces)

Ariana's neighbourhood = Eastern Ontario
BC's neighbourhood = Atlantic or prairie provinces

Some examples...

I lived in Alberta for a year and found the following:
Heavy traffic - max of 3 or 4 cars go by before someone lets you in
Stop on side of road with hood up waiting for tow truck - max of 5 minutes before someone stops and asks if I need help
Go to checkout with 2 items and line in front with bunch of stuff - I had 3 people in a row let me go in front of them
You're out shovelling snow - somebody comes and helps, and doesn't take money you offer them

I've been told it's the same pretty much all over the Atlantic or prairie provinces.

Eastern Ontario area:
Heavy traffic - I've had to wait 15 minutes to get in
Stop on side of road with hood up waiting for tow truck - I've waited an hour for a tow truck and you'd be lucky if 1 person asked, and even cops just drive on by
Go to checkout with 2 items and line in front with bunch of stuff - Someone else will try to butt in front of you
You're out shovelling snow - you could be laying on the ground from slipping on an ice patch and people will walk by

Once in a blue moon there will be a nice person, but we don't get that many blue moons.

It's actually shocking how much difference there can be in different communities.
BrynleeJean 01:56 PM 02-23-2018
yes lol that has happened to me once but it was during the day and only the mom i think, i told her i couldn't tour her then because just for safety reasons i don't let strangers in the house during business hours.
congrats on the drop in interview
Tags:unannounced visits, unscheduled interview
Reply Up