Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nanny Cam???
Little Star75 04:41 PM 02-18-2013
I have a question for all of you.... How would you feel if you have a new parent inquiring about daycare and decides to go with your daycare but wants to place a "Nanny Cam" in your home for her comfort?

I will feel very uncomfortable, not that I'm doing something bad but just the fact that you know you are being recorded.
Is it normal to feel this way?

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks
countrymom 04:44 PM 02-18-2013
nope would never allow it. It would be an invasion of privacy but how would the other parents react knowing that some total stranger was watching their child all day. Too creepy. This also screams RUN AWAY. If they can't trust you enough to take care of their child then they are not the people you want.
itlw8 04:45 PM 02-18-2013
I would agree to installing a camera system if they would like to pay for it . But I would need to be the one to set it up and have control over it. I would not allow the parents to be in charge of it. This is my home and I would not want them watching during non childcare hours. Plus ALL parents of children enrolled would need to agree and would have to be able to log on .
Little Star75 05:10 PM 02-18-2013
That's exactly how I feel, invasion of privacy and honestly I don't think the other parents would agree.

Thank you both for your responses
nannyde 05:11 PM 02-18-2013
I have too much to hide to allow cameras and a live feed. My son alone would have his privacy challenged. He needs to be able to freely talk while in his home without worry that a customer is going to view, tape, and dispense his image and voice whenever and however they wish. They couldn't pay me enough to invade HIS privacy in his own home.

Their comfort and security is never more important than my sons.

My child first.

There are a million other reasons why but my kid is enough to say no.
kitykids3 05:12 PM 02-18-2013
The fact that they don't trust me and my facility enough that they want a camera is not a way to start a business relationship and I would be telling them that I am not the place for them.
crazydaycarelady 06:13 PM 02-18-2013
Not in my home. If ahe wants that she needs to go to a center.
Meeko 06:47 PM 02-18-2013
Never in a billion years.

As soon as daycare is over, I rush upstairs and get my jammies on. The thought that someone could be watching me and my family is too creepy for words.

If she is that paranoid, she needs a nanny and should install the nanny-cam in her OWN home.
cheerfuldom 07:20 PM 02-18-2013
I would never allow a parent to dictate my policies and would never EVER allow them control of recordings in my home. IF I was ever to do a nanny cam, I would control the cam. Further, I would let all parents know of policies so each of them have the chance to decide if they even want to attend a place that records their children (and that other parents potentially have access to those recordings)

I am with Nanny 100%. Anything that comes up as a dilemma is always decided based on what is best for me and my kids. I dont want my kids on camera for other parents to view. If they want recording during daycare, they can go find another place for that.

Off topic but I would only save recordings and allow viewing if an accusation came up. I wouldnt allow parents to watch all day every day. I know I wouldnt want other parents viewing my kids all day at daycare either but I do understand the comfort in knowing that recordings are available if needed.
youretooloud 07:55 PM 02-18-2013
I wouldn't do it.

What if Katie is bossy to their child? Are they going to overreact and be rude to Katie? What if Katie's behavior is perfectly age appropriate, would it be fair to her to have this kid's parents dislike her based on her grumpy day?

What if Michael's mom needs to tell me that Michael's Dad moved out on Friday? Do I need to tell her "You can't share that with me, because we are on NannyCam"?

What if I forget to turn it off, and then walk out to my kitchen to get my phone while in my undies?

What if nobody is looking and I shove four girlscout cookies in my mouth at the same time?
jenn 08:15 PM 02-18-2013
No way! Not because I am doing anything wrong, but it just seems like a general privacy concern. They wouldn't just see their kid and you, but every kid enrolled. I don't think all of my families would be comfortable with that. Plus, this is my home!
Starburst 08:51 PM 02-18-2013
If you are uncomfortable with it, you can tell them that you believe it would violate the rights of the other children and families in your daycare (confidentiality and privacy) and that all the parents would have to sign waivers and that since they would be the only ones with the feed it would be unfair and unlawful for you to allow them to do this. Also if their child knows about this, it might make their child more likely to act up in thinking that you cannot use discipline (guidence). Also remind them that not only is this your place of business but it is also your home- you and your family have a right to privacy.

When all else fails you can blame liscensing and say they wont allow it (because it violates the privacy and confidentiality rights of the children, parents, your employees, your family, you). And for all we know it might be... Nanny cams are actually illegal to plant without consent EXCEPT when they are in your own home and only with your children and privately paid employees (A guy who owned a spy shop said this on an episode of "Flipping Out", a reality show based in CA). It is especially illegal to video tape minors without their parents concent.

I have seen one daycare website where they have a thing that parents can sign in during daycare hours and get a live feed to check on their children (it is only accessable to daycare parents) and i am sure the provider makes sure that the parents need to be okay with this if they want to sign up- and I am sure thats why many parents go to this program or why some may not be comfortable there. I think after hours she may turn it off. I have thought of this as a possibility and weighed the pros and cons- and I am still deciding weather or not it is fully worth it. Part of me thinks for private use it would be good because If someone makes a false claim you could just go back to your videos to prove them wrong. But than again that would be alot of tapes/Cd/USBs and a lot of money for equipment and maintance.
Little Star75 11:45 PM 02-18-2013
Love all responses, I feel much better. Thank you all.
Little Star75 11:45 PM 02-18-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I would never allow a parent to dictate my policies and would never EVER allow them control of recordings in my home. IF I was ever to do a nanny cam, I would control the cam. Further, I would let all parents know of policies so each of them have the chance to decide if they even want to attend a place that records their children (and that other parents potentially have access to those recordings)

I am with Nanny 100%. Anything that comes up as a dilemma is always decided based on what is best for me and my kids. I dont want my kids on camera for other parents to view. If they want recording during daycare, they can go find another place for that.

Off topic but I would only save recordings and allow viewing if an accusation came up. I wouldnt allow parents to watch all day every day. I know I wouldnt want other parents viewing my kids all day at daycare either but I do understand the comfort in knowing that recordings are available if needed.

mls620 04:24 AM 02-19-2013
Never would I allow that.
daycarediva 04:25 AM 02-19-2013
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I wouldn't do it.

What if Katie is bossy to their child? Are they going to overreact and be rude to Katie? What if Katie's behavior is perfectly age appropriate, would it be fair to her to have this kid's parents dislike her based on her grumpy day?

What if Michael's mom needs to tell me that Michael's Dad moved out on Friday? Do I need to tell her "You can't share that with me, because we are on NannyCam"?

What if I forget to turn it off, and then walk out to my kitchen to get my phone while in my undies?

What if nobody is looking and I shove four girlscout cookies in my mouth at the same time?
OMG I about died laughing at the last one!

No way for me either, too much of an invasion of privacy. My dh and I have our lunch breaks during nap together, my kids are all here, etc. Nope.

Not that I have ANYTHING to hide, which is why my home is ALWAYS open and available to parents during daycare hours. Walk in anytime you like.
MyAngels 06:12 AM 02-19-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Never in a billion years.

As soon as daycare is over, I rush upstairs and get my jammies on. The thought that someone could be watching me and my family is too creepy for words.

If she is that paranoid, she needs a nanny and should install the nanny-cam in her OWN home.
Yes. This. Plus what everybody else said, too .
Heidi 06:18 AM 02-19-2013
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I wouldn't do it.

Girl scout cookies...

Or what if you need to do something "unladylike"??
daycaremom76 07:24 AM 02-19-2013
I have security cameras around the outside of my home, that have been to my benefit with Licensing! I term'ed a parent on the spot one day and she called Licensing on my and spouted all these lies, when Licensing came they reviewed the videos and nothing happened. If I didn't have them it would have been her word against mine. I also have one in my kitchen because one of my own kids kept getting up in the middle of the night to steal the daycare kids' snacks from the daycare bin! And I wanted to know which one it was LOL The monitor sits on my desk and all can see it, our front window is a little high to see out so the kids like to watch it when it's time for their parents to get here so they can see who pulls up. I have 7 more slots for cameras and often get asked by parents why I don't have a camera in the daycare room as well. To be honest because I would totally uncomfortable with knowing someone was watching me all day. I can hook mine up online but right now it just records to the hard drive and I erase when I need more space. It's funny cause it's the little things I would feel weird about, when I am crawling around the floor and my big butt is facing the camera, when I stand up and have to adjust "the girls" after playing on the floor, picking a wedgie, etc............. things we all do but it's different when someone is watching you!
Blackcat31 07:33 AM 02-19-2013
Originally Posted by daycaremom76:
I have security cameras around the outside of my home, that have been to my benefit with Licensing! I term'ed a parent on the spot one day and she called Licensing on my and spouted all these lies, when Licensing came they reviewed the videos and nothing happened. If I didn't have them it would have been her word against mine. I also have one in my kitchen because one of my own kids kept getting up in the middle of the night to steal the daycare kids' snacks from the daycare bin! And I wanted to know which one it was LOL The monitor sits on my desk and all can see it, our front window is a little high to see out so the kids like to watch it when it's time for their parents to get here so they can see who pulls up. I have 7 more slots for cameras and often get asked by parents why I don't have a camera in the daycare room as well. To be honest because I would totally uncomfortable with knowing someone was watching me all day. I can hook mine up online but right now it just records to the hard drive and I erase when I need more space. It's funny cause it's the little things I would feel weird about, when I am crawling around the floor and my big butt is facing the camera, when I stand up and have to adjust "the girls" after playing on the floor, picking a wedgie, etc............. things we all do but it's different when someone is watching you!
I have video cameras too but they are MINE.

BIG difference between me having one in my home and a parent wanting to put one in my home.

I completely understand how this parent feels but she is failing to see things from the other parents perspective.

Maybe you should ask her if she is okay with all the other kids' parents having access to her child's daily activities....

Helping parents understand what things look like outside of their own shoes is one of the hardest things to do in this profession.

Once you get them to understand what it really means to be a part of group care, the rest is easy.
canadiancare 08:39 AM 02-19-2013
Somedays it could be the makings of an hilarious reality show.

I wouldn't go for it. While I can understand a parent's concerns I think that after an interview and checking your references there needs to be a leap of faith in their decision in order for the relationship to work.

I have a large window in our playroom that overlooks the front porch. Anyone can come up at anytime and peek in (it would be creepy, but ok) if they were in doubt- even under the pretense of dropping something off.
wdmmom 08:42 AM 02-19-2013
No WAY!!!

This is MY home. If you want a nanny cam, you hire a nanny and have the cam in your home!

The last thing I want is a nanny cam going so they can see and hear my every move.

Sorry but I think it's way too over the top. If I'm on a personal phone call and I say "Oh h$ll no" or "You're freaking kidding me" or "Shut up", I really don't want to be criticized for it.

I also don't want someone knowing when I pass gas or I have to make constant runs to the toilet.
allsmiles 08:47 AM 02-19-2013
funny story

my second daycare family asked me about having a nanny cam.. i was desperate to get families and initially said SURE!! She had like 3 interviews per her request because she wanted to make sure her 2 yr old would transition well..
Well after I thought about it over the weekend, i called her and told her that i did not want to go through the process of getting permisson from my other PARENT haha.. or any other parents that i was able to get later.. that it might be a lil creepy to them.. and i understand if she would rather go with a daycare that had those things in place for the parents..

well she told me it was all a "ruse" to get a feel for me?? there was never any camera and she would love to go with us for his care?? LMBO i couldnt believe it and didnt really know what to expect from her BUT she is by far my best parent.. even though she tricked me LOL
JenNJ 10:23 AM 02-19-2013
No. Never.
mema 10:34 AM 02-19-2013
Nope. You want a camera, find a facility with one or hire a nanny.
saved4always 12:18 PM 02-19-2013
I work in a center now and there are cameras and they do not bother me at all. When I used to do childcare in my house, though, there is no way I would have allowed a camera. While there is nothing I would have been hiding or doing wrong, there is just something invasive feeling to me to have a camera recording me in my own home. It never came up in the years I did childcare in my home, but I would have refused if it had.

And as others have said, this would have invaded the privacy of my kids and of the other kids in my care.
LeslieG 07:13 AM 02-20-2013
No Way!! That's a huge red flag that she has trust issues and would probably be a difficult parent to work with. If she can't learn to trust anyone to care for her child, then she should probably be a stay-at-home mom.

If you really want to work with her, then I would suggest maybe sending her picture texts of her child during the day or post pictures of the kids on a blog for parents to see... I do that and parents like being able to see how much fun their kids are having!
Tags:camera, cctv, confidentiality, privacy, uncomfortable
Reply Up