Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Word "NO"
littleblossoms 01:10 PM 07-03-2014
Everything the two year says is NO

She don't say it with a soft voice neither. She has an anger NO

For example : mom drops off yesterday and said A take your shoes off and she said NO momthen said eexcuse me you don't be rude snd took A shoes off.

Today I said circle time A said NO I then said to A here is your blanket and lay down while ee do our circle time.

now every thing she yelled at her friends NO

only started yesterday and today.

how can I stop her from say no

I know it is just a phase
Blackcat31 01:23 PM 07-03-2014
I would ignore it.

Give her choices YOU want her to have.

If she is just saying "no" but not necessarily refusing to comply, then I would ignore the "no's"

If she is refusing to comply (like with the shoes) I would just be light-hearted about it and say "Sorry, kiddo...you don't get a say about taking your shoes off. We don't wear them inside" Then take them off her yourself and tell her to go play.

If she says no to circle time the next time, just tell her "Well, when you are ready to join us, we'll be over here" and go about your business.

Don't give her "No" the weight she is looking for. Go about you business as usual.
AmyKidsCo 07:47 AM 07-04-2014
ITA with Blackcat, but I'd take it a step further - don't give her any opportunities to say No.

Instead of "Take off your shoes" ask "Which shoe are you going to take off first"? Instead of "Time for lunch" ask "Are you coming to lunch feet on the floor (walking) or feet in the air (you carry her)?"

Along with this, give her as many choices throughout the day as you can, so she can get her sense of control from something besides saying No.

And be sure you don't let her know it bugs you - the less reaction she gets from you the less fun it is and the quicker it'll go away. Easier said than done, I know!!
Controlled Chaos 09:57 PM 07-04-2014
I watched a little boy who would randomly yell "no no no no no no no!". It was for attention. Whenever he did it and mom was around she would give him a hug and say "it ok honey, ok, no!" I completely ignore the behavior other than occasionally reminding of inside voice v outside voice. The behavior lasted 2 weeks. I know he still does it with mom, but has realized it gets no response here.
missy 12:45 PM 07-05-2014
Its just a phase. I have a 3yo who is all about the word no right now. Soften it whenever you can-- like if she says no to something you ask if she wants, tell her to say "no, thank you" instead. That helps a lot and teaches her better manners. I think most toddlers go through a "no" phase:-)
Gili 09:03 PM 07-07-2014
Like Controlled Chaos said, its a phase. Every time my little one said 'No', I would just ask 'Are you sure?' in a very regular voice. Generally the question could break the line of 'No-No-No'.
melilley 07:48 AM 07-08-2014
I have a few here who say no all the time, including my ds and it drives me crazy sometimes! They are all 2 or almost 2. I think it's just a phase. Half of the time they say no to things they would say yes to.

I either ignore it or do what amykidsco said to do.
Reply Up