Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is It Just Where I Live???
laceylmm 03:04 PM 05-16-2013
Whenever dcp call and ask if I have openings I always ask ages and hours they are looking for first. Then if I have openings I tell them I am current doing interviews for my spots. This totally throws people off, almost everyone acts flabbergasted that I'm not just immediately saying yes I will take your child. So I'm thinking I need to rephrase 'interview'.

Does anyone else encounter this though or am I just imagining things?
Blackcat31 03:21 PM 05-16-2013
Personally, I would just ask them if they are interested in setting up an interview.

AFTER the interview I would then just say "I have a few other interviews lined up for the space so I will contact you by xxxx date"

I wouldn't say that you are conducting other interviews during the initial phone call....save that info for after the interview....that way, if they aren't a good fit you have an out.
GoodKarma 07:26 AM 05-17-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Personally, I would just ask them if they are interested in setting up an interview.

AFTER the interview I would then just say "I have a few other interviews lined up for the space so I will contact you by xxxx date"

I wouldn't say that you are conducting other interviews during the initial phone call....save that info for after the interview....that way, if they aren't a good fit you have an out.
Good advice. I'm going to start doing this!
youretooloud 10:52 AM 05-17-2013
I ask ages and hours first too.

But, then I interview, without saying there are others interviewing.
melilley 11:14 AM 05-17-2013
I also ask ages and hours, but like pp said, I also interview them and I don't say I'm doing other interviews. I am full right now, but when people do call I do tell them that I am full, but do offer an in person interview and I've actually had a couple of interviews even though I told them that. Now I have a waiting list for infants!
caligirl 11:18 AM 05-17-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

This is what I do.
earlystart 06:48 PM 05-18-2013
I never use the word "interview". I refer to it as coming for a "tour", or say that there are other families "interested" in the spot. Not sure if it's the word "interview" that is throwing them off, but if so, maybe you can just use different terminology.
Reply Up